Wednesday, July 13, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

badscooter

Re: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by badscooter »

badscooter wrote: Here's how I guide my betting decision (setting specific game situation considerations aside): on a non DD clue, I want to be at least about 80% sure about my answer before trying to buzz in, but I'm comfortable buzzing on a $400 question on which I am considerably less confident.

Sorry, meant to write "on a non DD $2000 clue"
KellyJ!
Contributor

Re: Non-mathematical answer on betting

Post by KellyJ! »

--Pete wrote:A wager of 1005 (I think 1001 is not permitted for a DD) trying for the lock.
You can bet any valid multiple of $1 on a DD (for example this contestant from 2008 made an "unusual" DD bet in all three of his games). You probably thought that since $5 is the minimum you could only bet in multiples of that, which isn't true.

ETA: If you don't remember on the old board I once brought up a scenario that the $5 minimum would keep you from making an otherwise rational bet: On a last-clue-in-DJ! DD at either end of a lock-tie.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Non-mathematical answer on betting

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
KellyJ! wrote:
--Pete wrote:
A wager of 1005 (I think 1001 is not permitted for a DD) trying for the lock.
You can bet any valid multiple of $1 on a DD ... . You probably thought that since $5 is the minimum you could only bet in multiples of that, which isn't true.
Thank you. You are right. Since $5 is the minimum bet, I assumed (yes, I know the breakdown) that it was also the minimum increment. I'll try to keep that in mind for the future.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

So how many seconds do you actually get to do all this analysis for a DD? It seems like maybe 5-10 seconds tops? It's one thing to expect rational wagering on FJ, when you have a few minutes, at least, but I'm a little terrified by having to do all this thinking in a few seconds (and I'm pretty fast at the arithmetic - it's considering all the scenarios that's hard). And I know I've heard lots of contestants comment that they had actually lost track of who had what score until they had that moment to look at the scores, and were often surprised.
--Pete
Loyal Jeopardista

A little knowledge can be a useful thing.

Post by --Pete »

Hi,
debramc wrote: So how many seconds do you actually get to do all this analysis for a DD? It seems like maybe 5-10 seconds tops? It's one thing to expect rational wagering on FJ, when you have a few minutes, at least, but I'm a little terrified by having to do all this thinking in a few seconds (and I'm pretty fast at the arithmetic - it's considering all the scenarios that's hard). And I know I've heard lots of contestants comment that they had actually lost track of who had what score until they had that moment to look at the scores, and were often surprised.
At home, you get as much time as you want with the game paused. That's where you do your heavy thinking and practicing. If you ever get to the studio, then that practice hopefully will allow you to make a better than average spot decision. Two points:

When something goes wrong on final approach to a landing, there usually isn't time to figure things out. That's why commercial pilots spend many hours in simulators practicing emergency situations, so if it ever occurs for real, they'll be ready.

I had an adviser who explained physical intuition to me: first, you estimate the solution using physical intuition. Then you run an actual analysis. You then use the degree of agreement between the two to refine your physical intuition.

Of the three main components that make a Jeopardy! winner (knowledge of trivia, buzzer timing, wagering strategy), it is only in wagering that people consistently screw up. Yeah, you don't have forever to calculate it, but if you've got some basics worked out and "in your blood", then you can make pretty good horseback guesses.

--Pete
"We are looking over our new domicile,
If we like, we stay for maybe quite a while."
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Those are excellent points, Pete. I am still curious what the actual timeframe is (so I know what I'm aiming for when I practice at home). Sometimes it seems Alex is rushing them to decide almost immediately, others it seems to take forever. I never know how much is due to editing. Any contestants out there have the answer? (This is one I never think of when I'm at the audition.)
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

debramc wrote:Those are excellent points, Pete. I am still curious what the actual timeframe is (so I know what I'm aiming for when I practice at home). Sometimes it seems Alex is rushing them to decide almost immediately, others it seems to take forever. I never know how much is due to editing. Any contestants out there have the answer? (This is one I never think of when I'm at the audition.)
As Glenn mentioned at the auditions, the tapings are done in half-hour blocks, so I would guess that it depends on whether they've had to deal with any judging issues or scoring changes, or if that particular episode is just humming right along and they have time to kill.