Useful memorization tools

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jaxjags
Valued Contributor

Useful memorization tools

Post by jaxjags »

I felt like making this topic to post some memorization tools I've found on the internet. Obviously, there is some information out there that just needs to be memorized no matter how many times we see it on Jeopardy or elsewhere, and others that are very important to know for success at such places. I've found two in particular that have worked a lot for me.

The first is a website called memrise.com. I don't know if that website has been posted on here before, but I initially found it as a language learning website. Though the method is probably not the greatest for learning a language (It's multiple choice and typing in a response, which I've heard is not a good way to learn a foreign language), I recently found out that the site has another section for basically random facts. I've seen things like art history, geography, business terms, even pokemon. I've been using it recently to help me study for my audition I had a few weeks ago, and I think it somewhat helped. The thing that makes it different from most sites is that it gives you points for getting information correct, and has a leaderboard of all the members. While some people have abused the point system, it kind of gives the site an addictive nature, and I guess it is better to be addicted to learning that to something harmful. Again, I don't think the site is good for language learning, since I just seem to only memorize what the word looks like as opposed to what the word actually is. But its good for information.

The second I've found is anki. I think this has been covered on this website, since I believe Roger Craig used it for his studying for Jeopardy. It's a free downloadable program that is basically just flashcards on a computer. I don't want to spend a lot of time explaining it since I believe most of you know about it, but for those who don't, it's very useful, it helped me memorize the years the presidents served.

So that's all I got. I guess I leave the floor open to everyone else to post their own tools they've found on the internet. Just showing something useful to help everyone.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Useful memorization tools

Post by ElendilPickle »

Thank you! That is very helpful information.