Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by bomtr »

Why do so many people, particularly younger folk, believe that a narrative answer to any question should begin with the word 'so'? jeopardy interviews...
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

bomtr wrote:Why do so many people, particularly younger folk, believe that a narrative answer to any question should begin with the word 'so'? jeopardy interviews...
so I think it's just a way of speaking colloquially.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

bomtr wrote:Why do so many people, particularly younger folk, believe that a narrative answer to any question should begin with the word 'so'? jeopardy interviews...
Could be worse. They could all begin their responses with "Okay";

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hcIioa5fUQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftlycUi6pds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-z2WhPSuGQ
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I know that "Okay, so ..." is also very common.

But, yes, it drives me batty.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

And anything is better than saying 'like' every other word.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Some of you might appreciate this.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Baseball ticket dynamic pricing can be unintentionally hilarious.

Green Monster tickets for April/May Fenway games went on sale today. Cubs games? $450-650. More expensive than opening day!
Meanwhile, Orioles the day after? $200 at most. (I'm not counting standing room only)

Madness...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

2009 J! champ Noam Osband recently found himself in a video on the front page of Reddit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehh8ZdIMMj4
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 am 2009 J! champ Noam Osband recently found himself in a video on the front page of Reddit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehh8ZdIMMj4
I've never rode a bike nor been sympathetic towards cyclists given their general behavior in the Bay Area, but that video was infuriating. All those pedestrians deserve to be run over several times over by hooligan cyclists worse than the Italians in Breaking Away.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I know that some of you are members of the Only Connect Questions group on Facebook. I put up a sequence that I think you'll enjoy.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

When did this become acceptable as a golf club?!
https://www.rockbottomgolf.com/golf-clu ... ed-putter/

(Meanwhile, TV viewers are allowed, nay, encouraged, to rat out players who misspot a ball by even an inch...get it the hell together, golf.
https://deadspin.com/tv-viewer-snitches ... 1793951326 )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:40 pm (Meanwhile, TV viewers are allowed, nay, encouraged, to rat out players who misspot a ball by even an inch...get it the hell together, golf.
https://deadspin.com/tv-viewer-snitches ... 1793951326 )
That is something that golf never, EVER should have allowed.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Congratulations to Todd Gross for his NYT, Thursday, April 27 crossword puzzle. I solve on paper with pen and got burned going for a TV clue with no crosses. You've been warned.

I'll leave the daily post to Rex Parker although it's not hard to predict some of his comments ahead of time. Especially how he'll react to this at 50A:

"Hey, buddy!" (5 letters)

The Thursday trick was easy enough to work out and set up nice hints for all four quadrants.

For those of you that don't see it until the newspaper tomorrow morning or delays in other papers, enjoy it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 pm Congratulations to Todd Gross for his NYT, Thursday, April 27 crossword puzzle. I solve on paper with pen and got burned going for a TV clue with no crosses. You've been warned.

I'll leave the daily post to Rex Parker although it's not hard to predict some of his comments ahead of time. Especially how he'll react to this at 50A:

The Thursday trick was easy enough to work out and set up nice hints for all four quadrants.

For those of you that don't see it until the newspaper tomorrow morning or delays in other papers, enjoy it.
Very creative, Todd, and well-done as always! Damn, I want to write one sometime. Definitely on my to-do list.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:00 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:49 pm Congratulations to Todd Gross for his NYT, Thursday, April 27 crossword puzzle. I solve on paper with pen and got burned going for a TV clue with no crosses. You've been warned.

Very creative, Todd, and well-done as always! Damn, I want to write one sometime. Definitely on my to-do list.
Yup, good one Todd!

I, however, have no desire to write a crossword puzzle. I'll just appreciate others' efforts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I get an email I am more likely to see the subject header before the sender's name.

This one had me do a double take:

Subject: Who is...your Mom?

It was from the jeopardystore advertising things for Mother's Day. Yeah, as if I could order today and have it by Sunday anyway. :roll:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was working the crossword puzzle and half listening to WoF when I heard this to make my ears perk up:

The wrong response shown in the CC and the correct answer would both be considered hoity-toity.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 10:43 pm I was working the crossword puzzle and half listening to WoF when I heard this to make my ears perk up:

The wrong response shown in the CC and the correct answer would both be considered hoity-toity.
The correct answer would be ... ?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:04 pm
The correct answer would be ... ?
Spoiler
CRANBERRY ORANGE SCONES