Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by dhkendall » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:46 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:49 pm
Anyone want to watch me play Wheel of Fortune at Anthrocon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgbzUG06kpY
Thanks for that TPH! I won't ask how you did so well in the game (spoilers?) or what lead you to know exactly which letters to call, or how you knew that
SpoilerShow
chewy cinnamon churros
were a thing because I'm sure you really must get annoyed at people constantly asking these questions of you and not listening when you explain it.

All snark aside, I was pleased to watch it and you, and Kijani Lion is right, someone please get you on the real show!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Well, I did get an invite to Louisville for the second-tier audition. If I pass that I should finally make the cut.

I've only been trying for nine years...
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN19X2UJ
Outgoing Amtrak Co-chief Executive Wick Moorman said on Wednesday the money-losing U.S. passenger rail system is considering a less comfortable economy class of seats that could allow it to pack in more passengers.
Wait, wait, wait, is Wick saying the reason Amtrak is losing money is because it can't fit all the people who want to take Amtrak?

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 pm

CSN Chicago had to issue a correction after finding out the Jose Quintana trade was leaked on reddit yesterday.

This is the actual correction on a legitimate news site:
Correction: While no national media had this story, a Reddit user named "wetbutt23" had it last night. CSNChicago.com apologizes to wetbutt23 for the error.
http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-white ... oud-expect

Just when I think you couldn't get any dumber, Internet, you go and do something like this...and completely redeem yourself!

(hattip to Deadspin)

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:14 am

Volante wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:43 pm
Wait, wait, wait, is Wick saying the reason Amtrak is losing money is because it can't fit all the people who want to take Amtrak?
The reasons Amtrak loses money are complex[*] but, yes, part of the issue is that they need to increase capacity on certain routes, and adding seats to existing train cars can be a lot cheaper and easier than adding new cars and/or adding train frequencies.

But that's the outgoing CEO talking anyway. I'm sure the new guy will put the kibosh on this, given that he's coming from... Delta Airlines.

[*]And even the reasons why it's supposed to be a money-making enterprise in the first place, as opposed to, say, the Interstate Highway System.

MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Are the Archivists out celebrating Bastille Day? I can add to the Friday thread, but I can't start it under the Archivists name.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:30 pm

A heckuva time sink, but an article on iconic props in movies. A good launching pad for learning about classic movies if that's a weak spot for you.

Greatest Movie Props

My one gripe? The watch in Pulp Fiction instead of the briefcase? Tsk, tsk.

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:31 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 pm
Well, I did get an invite to Louisville for the second-tier audition. If I pass that I should finally make the cut.

Retro luck TPH! Hope you enjoyed the visit here. Looks like you were in town during our large music festival. About as busy as it gets outside of Derby.

TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by TenPoundHammer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:05 pm

badgerfellow wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:31 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Retro luck TPH! Hope you enjoyed the visit here. Looks like you were in town during our large music festival. About as busy as it gets outside of Derby.

I didn't have time for much of anything else. Got all the way to the end of the audition, and they really seemed to be taking notice.

If I get a letter within two weeks, that will mean I'm in the pool finally.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent