Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1904
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by xxaaaxx » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:45 pm

econgator wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:59 pm
I would hate to lose deGrom and Thor, but they need to go somewhere that they can actually live up to their potential.
threearruda wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:44 pm
I agree that it's way past time for the Mets to strip everything and start again like most of the bottom-feeders in the A.L. have recently.
They have TWO frontline aces (when healthy). If the they can't make a run within the next 2 years with deGrom and Syndergaard, Mets fans should reconsider their allegiance. I mean sure, they can trade them for prospects, but having two aces to build around is the kind of thing you rebuild FOR. If they can't make this work, then all that'll happen is 5 years from now they'll have another ace/young core to not build around.

And yeah, it amazes me to no end that a team this dysfuntional with owners this godawful are only 3 seasons removed from a pennant. It'd be like the Knicks (who are dead to me until Dolan is gone) making a run to the Finals.

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1620
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Rolla, MO

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Linear Gnome » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:24 am

econgator wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:34 pm
Just to bump this off of (almost ) page 3, I thought I'd lament about how horrible my Mets are this year.

[deletia]

Damn, we suck.
And after starting the season 11-1!

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:18 am

I was gone for a while, so I never got a chance to comment on the 25-4 game ...

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by RandyG » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:15 am

alietr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:18 am
I was gone for a while, so I never got a chance to comment on the 25-4 game ...
Don't overlook that the Mets outscored the Nationals 3-0 in the 9th inning. The trend was most definitely positive!
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5903
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:00 pm

RandyG wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:15 am
alietr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:18 am
I was gone for a while, so I never got a chance to comment on the 25-4 game ...
Don't overlook that the Mets outscored the Nationals 3-0 in the 9th inning. The trend was most definitely positive!
If only they'd be able to play 8 more innings ...

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1397
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by 9021amyers » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:13 pm

RandyG wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:15 am
alietr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:18 am
I was gone for a while, so I never got a chance to comment on the 25-4 game ...
Don't overlook that the Mets outscored the Nationals 3-0 in the 9th inning. The trend was most definitely positive!
The pitcher who gave up those three runs got so upset about it, the team cut him after the game.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by trainman » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:49 pm

alietr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:18 am
I was gone for a while, so I never got a chance to comment on the 25-4 game ...
I was in the stands at Nationals Park in 2015 to see them beat the Braves 15-1, which was their biggest win since the franchise had moved to Washington -- that was the night before I was there with you to see what turned out to be a much closer contest.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by econgator » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:51 pm

9021amyers wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:13 pm
RandyG wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:15 am
alietr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:18 am
I was gone for a while, so I never got a chance to comment on the 25-4 game ...
Don't overlook that the Mets outscored the Nationals 3-0 in the 9th inning. The trend was most definitely positive!
The pitcher who gave up those three runs got so upset about it, the team cut him after the game.
Then, Jose Reyes became the first person ever to hit 2 HR the day after giving up 2 HR.

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 747
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by clprez » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 pm

On a more general baseball note, is it just me or does anybody else think that there have been way more days off this year than normal? It seems like for most weeks there is either a Monday or Thursday day off, and if there is actually a game on a Thursday it is a day game.

I feel for you Mets fans, but I'm a Tigers fan, and we have traded away or lost so many good players, especially pitchers.We lose so big, that I can rarely stand to watch an entire game. It's so bad that I don't even know every player's name.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1904
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by xxaaaxx » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:14 am

clprez wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 pm
On a more general baseball note, is it just me or does anybody else think that there have been way more days off this year than normal? It seems like for most weeks there is either a Monday or Thursday day off, and if there is actually a game on a Thursday it is a day game.
IIRC, they added about 4 off-days per team to the schedule.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by econgator » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:23 am

clprez wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 pm
I feel for you Mets fans, but I'm a Tigers fan, and we have traded away or lost so many good players, especially pitchers.
Oh yeah. In the last few years your traded off Price, Porcello, Verlander, and Scherzer, who are currently a combined 51-21.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8288
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:54 am

xxaaaxx wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:14 am
clprez wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 pm
On a more general baseball note, is it just me or does anybody else think that there have been way more days off this year than normal? It seems like for most weeks there is either a Monday or Thursday day off, and if there is actually a game on a Thursday it is a day game.
IIRC, they added about 4 off-days per team to the schedule.
You need to change your avatar to something with a bag over its head. The series was like the Red Sox running a DJ! round category going from 5.5 games up to 9.5 games up.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7601
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by econgator » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:10 pm

RandyG wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:15 am
alietr wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:18 am
I was gone for a while, so I never got a chance to comment on the 25-4 game ...
Don't overlook that the Mets outscored the Nationals 3-0 in the 9th inning. The trend was most definitely positive!
Let's bring the negative back: the Mets currently have 45 wins. The Red Sox currently have 45 wins above the .500 mark.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8288
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:52 pm

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:24 pm

I watched the entire Brady Bunch series in just a couple weeks this past spring. No joke, I bought the entire series pack at Wal-Mart.
Just curious since the show is a favorite of mine:

Had you seen the show before or the binge was a first-time viewing?
Can you name one episode you liked and one you did not like? (I always find the answers fascinating and varied)
Learned League had a one-day special about the show here with 12 fun questions: https://www.learnedleague.com/oneday.php?bradybunch

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
No Life
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:12 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:52 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:24 pm

I watched the entire Brady Bunch series in just a couple weeks this past spring. No joke, I bought the entire series pack at Wal-Mart.
Just curious since the show is a favorite of mine:

Had you seen the show before or the binge was a first-time viewing?
Can you name one episode you liked and one you did not like? (I always find the answers fascinating and varied)
Learned League had a one-day special about the show here with 12 fun questions: https://www.learnedleague.com/oneday.php?bradybunch
I already saw the Learned League quiz. I had already seen the first season years back, but the rest of the series I saw for the first time.

To be honest, I can't describe an episode I liked and one I didn't like because I liked them all.

I have also seen The Brady Bunch Movie (1995), A Very Brady Sequel (1998), Growing Up Brady (2000), and Brady Bunch in the White House (2002).
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Bamaman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:58 pm

econgator wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:23 am
clprez wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 pm
I feel for you Mets fans, but I'm a Tigers fan, and we have traded away or lost so many good players, especially pitchers.
Oh yeah. In the last few years your traded off Price, Porcello, Verlander, and Scherzer, who are currently a combined 51-21.
As a Braves fan, thanks for this.
Attachments
6F39AD76-F673-4B66-B976-836883368EDF.png
6F39AD76-F673-4B66-B976-836883368EDF.png (359.75 KiB) Viewed 309 times

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8288
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:33 pm

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:52 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:24 pm

I watched the entire Brady Bunch series in just a couple weeks this past spring. No joke, I bought the entire series pack at Wal-Mart.
Just curious since the show is a favorite of mine:

Had you seen the show before or the binge was a first-time viewing?
Can you name one episode you liked and one you did not like? (I always find the answers fascinating and varied)
Learned League had a one-day special about the show here with 12 fun questions: https://www.learnedleague.com/oneday.php?bradybunch
I already saw the Learned League quiz. I had already seen the first season years back, but the rest of the series I saw for the first time.

To be honest, I can't describe an episode I liked and one I didn't like because I liked them all.

I have also seen The Brady Bunch Movie (1995), A Very Brady Sequel (1998), Growing Up Brady (2000), and Brady Bunch in the White House (2002).
Fair enough, thanks for responding. This site has very detailed episode summaries (not complete yet) with lots of screencaps and comments. It's a fun way to revisit episodes and learn trivia. https://bradybunchreviewed.wordpress.com/

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Bamaman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:28 pm

Mark, what are your favorite and least favorite?

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8288
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:07 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:28 pm
Mark, what are your favorite and least favorite?
Picking a favorite is tough as I like so many, but today I'll say "The Fender Benders" as Jackie Coogan is great as Mr. Duggan. The Asian stereotype portion of the episode is unfortunate while there are plenty of legitimate intentional laughs such as chicken & dumplings for dinner means mom wrecked the car.

My favorite moment in the episode is the laundry list of damages to the car and the total only being $295.11 as that bottom line may have been reasonable in 1972 yet as the years go by it becomes even funnier to list so much and have the amount so low. The unintentional laugh-inducing portion is in court with the board diagram of the cars to reenact the accident as the cars change position from the wider shot to a close-up shot. It's a fun continuity error once you know it's there.

For least favorite it can vary from the dumb later ones with Oliver to the few earlier ones that did not feature the kids. In the Oliver department "Top Secret" when Oliver & Bobby think Sam is a spy is not a good one. "Alice's September Song" with Mark Millard trying to con Alice out of money is another weak episode.

The too-typical things I get tired seeing from others are someone naming the best/favorite as the Davy Jones one or the one with Marcia's nose and worst/least favorite as the Snow White one or when Robert Reed & Florence Henderson play Grandpa Brady & Grandma Hutchins. Those episodes are not in play for either category in my opinion.

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by trainman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:24 pm

I watched "Brady Bunch" reruns fairly religiously in the early '80s (when it was on in the after-school hours, back-to-back with "Gilligan's Island"), but probably haven't seen a full episode in 35 years.

I do remember that my local station was using prints -- they were probably running it off film, rather than videotape -- that still had the original ABC "In Color" bumper at the beginning.

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alietr, Google [Bot], harrumph, LucarioSnooperVixey and 28 guests