Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

Episode 8 of Paid Off with Michael Torpey, "Too Broke to Heal" is worth seeing for a combination of good-casting contestants and game show moments perspective. It will air again on truTV this weekend. The show in general has dumb and cringe-worthy aspects while its heart is always in the right place. This episode was easily the best of the 8 that have aired. It can also be viewed online if you have the right provider: https://www.trutv.com/full-episodes/pai ... index.html
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 pm Well, the thing I was afraid would happen just happened: I got The Call!

But since I just taped Who Wants to be a Millionaire, the Jeopardy! door is closed
So apparently, you are not allowed to be on Jeopardy! and Who Wants to be a Millionaire in the same year. Doesn't seem fair.

I think it should be customary for someone to say, "Oh, I saw Morbeedo on Jeopardy! and WWTBAM."

Back in 1986, Curtis Warren appeared on both Jeopardy! and Sale of the Century.

In 2014, Eliot Yates appeared on both WWTBAM and Jeopardy! only months apart.

Unless the standards have changed since then, I think people should be allowed to be on two game shows in the same year. :!:
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

#12 - S.O.S. and nothing ever changes as even 20-0 was not enough of a cushion for Chi against GB.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:33 pm #12 - S.O.S. and nothing ever changes as even 20-0 was not enough of a cushion for Chi against GB.
I wonder how many people went to bed early, figuring "OK, 20-0, Rodgers is on the cart, Kizer sucks, Khalil Mack is eating them alive, it's over".
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:24 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:33 pm #12 - S.O.S. and nothing ever changes as even 20-0 was not enough of a cushion for Chi against GB.
I wonder how many people went to bed early, figuring "OK, 20-0, Rodgers is on the cart, Kizer sucks, Khalil Mack is eating them alive, it's over".
The local Packers bar probably lost 1/2 of its patrons at halftime. Oh, did they ever miss out.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

At least both of those teams have won something in their existence.

Yesterday the Browns managed to get a tie against Pittsburgh and they still exceeded last year's record.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:42 am
At least both of those teams have won something in their existence.

Yesterday the Browns managed to get a tie against Pittsburgh and they still exceeded last year's record.
The free fridges of Bud Light stayed closed though, as it takes a W for those to open. The Browns are going to go 0-0-16 this year now, aren't they?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:19 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:29 pm Well, the thing I was afraid would happen just happened: I got The Call!

But since I just taped Who Wants to be a Millionaire, the Jeopardy! door is closed
So apparently, you are not allowed to be on Jeopardy! and Who Wants to be a Millionaire in the same year. Doesn't seem fair.

I think it should be customary for someone to say, "Oh, I saw Morbeedo on Jeopardy! and WWTBAM."

Back in 1986, Curtis Warren appeared on both Jeopardy! and Sale of the Century.

In 2014, Eliot Yates appeared on both WWTBAM and Jeopardy! only months apart.

Unless the standards have changed since then, I think people should be allowed to be on two game shows in the same year. :!:
My friend's boyfriend told me, "If I were you, I'd just lie." I guess that's one way of approaching it, but I'd never consider doing that. I thought about that scenario and wonder what sort of legal problems that would create for an unethical contestant. I suppose both shows could decide to rescind your prize money, and Millionaire could simply opt never to air your segment. Anyway, I was appalled by the suggestion but curious if that's ever happened and what was the outcome
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

see Barbara Lowe
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I believe this is the "infamous" Arthur Chu tweet that was mentioned in the All Star Game thread.
Spoiler
ETA: I forgot that the new version of the board renders tweets inline. Spoilerfied.
Last edited by MinnesotaMyron on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brick

Post by brick »

Thanks MM. Can’t say I disagree. :lol: But I can understand J wanting to distance themselves.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:40 pm You can keep your avatar for at least three more games this season.
:lol: :lol:

Thanks (assuming no late inning shenanigans). My dream outcome is for them to crush the Sox, then a shot at revenge against the Astros in the LCS. The 2nd half of that is virtually guaranteed; the Indians aren't much of a threat.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:03 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:40 pm You can keep your avatar for at least three more games this season.

Thanks (assuming no late inning shenanigans). My dream outcome is for them to crush the Sox, then a shot at revenge against the Astros in the LCS. The 2nd half of that is virtually guaranteed; the Indians aren't much of a threat.
I'm a little confused--I can see xxaaaxx's reply but not MarkBarrett's original post.

Anyway, I got to feel a bit of schadenfreude at the Cubs' ignominious exit and now don't have particularly strong feelings about the remaining teams. Nice to see Luke Voit doing well--I think part of it is that Yankee Stadium plays to his strengths.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:51 am

I'm a little confused--I can see xxaaaxx's reply but not MarkBarrett's original post.

Anyway, I got to feel a bit of schadenfreude at the Cubs' ignominious exit and now don't have particularly strong feelings about the remaining teams. Nice to see Luke Voit doing well--I think part of it is that Yankee Stadium plays to his strengths.
His original post was in tonight's episode thread. I replied here so as to not clutter things there with baseball talk.

I'm somewhat shocked that the Cubs went from the best record in the NL, to choking away their lead and losing the division tiebreaker AND the WC at home. As for Luke Voit...holy crap. I don't want to think about where we'd be without him giving us a spark while Judge was down. Absolute steal.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:51 am

If you click on the arrow next to "wrote:" it will take you back to the quoted post (which ends up being in another thread)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Volante wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:23 am If you click on the arrow next to "wrote:" it will take you back to the quoted post (which ends up being in another thread)
I had never noticed that. Thanks!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Many years ago, Jeopardy!'s website had a FAQ section where a bunch of people asked questions about Alex in video form. One of them was some celeb (I forget who) asking "Alex Trebek -- is he always so darn serious? He scares me." Followed by a montage of Alex doing goofy things, like coming out on the Halloween 1997 episode dressed as the Statue of Liberty, and then Alex coldly saying, "Me, serious? ALWAYS."

By any chance, was this archived anywhere? I seem to remember this being pre-YouTube, so it's hard to tell.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:11 pm Many years ago, Jeopardy!'s website had a FAQ section where a bunch of people asked questions about Alex in video form. One of them was some celeb (I forget who) asking "Alex Trebek -- is he always so darn serious? He scares me." Followed by a montage of Alex doing goofy things, like coming out on the Halloween 1997 episode dressed as the Statue of Liberty, and then Alex coldly saying, "Me, serious? ALWAYS."

By any chance, was this archived anywhere? I seem to remember this being pre-YouTube, so it's hard to tell.
Yes. This was during Bob Harris's debut game.
Douglas Squasoni
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:56 am

As for Luke Voit...holy crap. I don't want to think about where we'd be without him giving us a spark while Judge was down. Absolute steal.
As a Cardinals fan... I always liked Voit. Some of the Cardinals' trouble over the past few years, has come from having way too many pretty-good players, guys who should be on an MLB roster, without enough superstars or even obvious starters to give clarity and shape to the roster/roles. That's bad for chemistry and bad for player development. In that context, it can be hard to give players of this talent level enough of a chance to find out how good they in fact are. The Yankees "stole" Luke Voit; the Rays, in a somewhat different but ultimately related situation stole Tommy Pham; the Indians might well have snagged somebody good in Oscar Mercado; some team this winter is going to wind up with Patrick Wisdom and might find themselves really happy. Just a side effect of an avoidable backlog in the upper levels of the minors; once the Cards were in this situation, it's hard to see what else they could have done, with Voit as blocked as he was (though Chasen Shreve wound up not being a great pickup). Anyway, we're all happy he's doing well.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:15 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:11 pm Many years ago, Jeopardy!'s website had a FAQ section where a bunch of people asked questions about Alex in video form. One of them was some celeb (I forget who) asking "Alex Trebek -- is he always so darn serious? He scares me." Followed by a montage of Alex doing goofy things, like coming out on the Halloween 1997 episode dressed as the Statue of Liberty, and then Alex coldly saying, "Me, serious? ALWAYS."

Yes. This was during Bob Harris's debut game.
Only the Statue of Liberty bit was during that game. The montage TPH describes sounds like an online-only thing.