Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

The back of the original NBC Jeopardy board. A cardboard slide was removed to reveal each clue.

Jeopardy Back.jpg
Jeopardy Back.jpg (29.56 KiB) Viewed 4921 times
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:28 pm The back of the original NBC Jeopardy board. A cardboard slide was removed to reveal each clue.

Jeopardy Back.jpg
Looks like the automat.
🥪🥧☕
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

squarekara wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:56 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:28 pm The back of the original NBC Jeopardy board. A cardboard slide was removed to reveal each clue.

Jeopardy Back.jpg
Looks like the automat.
🥪🥧☕
Roaring Twenties for $400 if you want the chicken salad sandwich.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mixtape (2021) is a hidden gem of a movie on Netflix.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Tax time... Burn in hell, Intuit and H&R Block...
Though apparently W2 import is free now, that's new.

Edit: The whole point of being able to import it is so it takes LESS TIME :evil:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:56 pm Tax time... Burn in hell, Intuit and H&R Block...

Edit: The whole point of being able to import it is so it takes LESS TIME :evil:
It depends on how complicated your taxes are. Our returns, with schedules, usually run in excess of 40 pages. I view the payment to H&R Block online to be well worth it, especially since it’s tax deductible :mrgreen:
Volante

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:40 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:56 pm Tax time... Burn in hell, Intuit and H&R Block...

It depends on how complicated your taxes are. Our returns, with schedules, usually run in excess of 40 pages. I view the payment to H&R Block online to be well worth it, especially since it’s tax deductible :mrgreen:
If you qualify for the free form in the first place...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

40 pages? Geez. Not sure mine has ever been much more than 4.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the RIP thread:
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:47 am Meatloaf- 74
74 is not high enough, you gotta cook meatloaf at 350 degrees at least.

Oh, Meat Loaf, the singer. Too young.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Louis Anderson, even younger.
Douglas Squasoni
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:27 pm

40 pages? Geez. Not sure mine has ever been much more than 4.
Having used H&R Block software, besides the fact that I can tell you it is a PITA to use, there is often many unnecessary pages it will spit out.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante

Post by Volante »

Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Why is the speed in (distance)/seconds?! No one knows those! mi/h or even km/h would be more useful for a general audience.
What's more informative? .1357 mi/s or 488.52 mi/h? Case rested.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Great fun for movie & TV fans:
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:49 am Great fun for movie & TV fans:
Yes, I loved this interview. Sunday Morning is a great show to watch to learn the type of thing that shows up on J, in the arts in particular.
While J! would probably not require players to name Hong, they could refer to his getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, mentioned in this piece. There's a current event!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Not exactly "J! in the Media", but in recent J!-adjacent news, IBM has taken major steps to divest itself of Watson.
In what has to be considered an anticlimactic ending, IBM sold off the data assets of its Watson Health unit to private equity firm Francisco Partners today. The two firms did not share the purchase price, but previous reports pegged the value at around $1 billion. ... Francisco Partners plans to build a new standalone company with these assets... As a result, it was a move that clearly caught Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy, by surprise. “I am very surprised because the puck is moving to more vertical solutions. I suppose it also shows potentially how poorly the unit was doing.”
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:56 am Not exactly "J! in the Media", but in recent J!-adjacent news, IBM has taken major steps to divest itself of Watson.
In what has to be considered an anticlimactic ending, IBM sold off the data assets of its Watson Health unit to private equity firm Francisco Partners today. The two firms did not share the purchase price, but previous reports pegged the value at around $1 billion. ... Francisco Partners plans to build a new standalone company with these assets... As a result, it was a move that clearly caught Patrick Moorhead, principal analyst at Moor Insights & Strategy, by surprise. “I am very surprised because the puck is moving to more vertical solutions. I suppose it also shows potentially how poorly the unit was doing.”
Can anyone provide a quick gloss for me on what it means for the puck to move to more vertical solutions and why that would make this sale somewhat surprising?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:52 pm Can anyone provide a quick gloss for me on what it means for the puck to move to more vertical solutions and why that would make this sale somewhat surprising?
Does the previous paragraph of the article help?
IBM is making this sale just as the [trend toward] healthcare vertical [integration] is heating up. Last year, Oracle bought health records company Cerner for $28 billion and Microsoft bought Nuance Communications in a deal valued at nearly $20 billion. While both deals are pending regulatory approval, it shows how much large companies value the health vertical.
Definition of vertical integration

So it's surprising because while IBM's competitors are buying up, IBM is selling off.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

The Independent: Can you answer these SAT questions from 1926?.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 00546.html