Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by bomtr »

26384. I drove around, quite a while on a couple of the scenes, but no google. This is a very evil application.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

11261 for me just panning from the one location. I mistook Bulgaria for Greece, Mexico for Arizona and Alaska for Colorado. Got within 200 km in Japan, though.

Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

Vanya wrote:A game some of y'all might enjoy:

http://www.geoguessr.com/
You're an xkcd fan, I presume? :)

The get I'm most proud of was nothing but a red dirt road. Nothing around in either direction for miles. I thought, "What the hell, looks like the Outback." I plunked down my marker somewhere in the middle of Australia, and I was right... to within a couple hundred km at least, which I think is rather good for such a giant desert. Some of them, though, are ridiculous. I see kanji on a sign near the street, so I guess Japan. Nope, it was some Japanese island the size of a postage stamp in the middle of the Pacific that I never knew even existed. FCOL....

(And no, I have never, ever seen that acronym used until Jeopardy did it.)

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

http://www.geoguessr.com?s=eyJ0b3RhbFBv ... 1dfQ%3D%3D

Some of these are basically, "Uhhhhh ....... how about .... there." I actually managed about 11500 on it, though. Really luck guessing.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Jasoni22 wrote:

Funny, xkcd was the third place I saw it in the space of a week (the other two were a really cool online trivia league site called Learned League, the other from a Facebook status.) Was a bit disappointed that xkcd featured it, as now what I thought was a fun little undiscovered corner of the web will soon be the "next thing", and I have to get all Internet hipster on everyone. (Reminds me of a few years after I first discovered this nice little thing called the Internet, only to have it go mainstream. Or another time when a humour mailing list I've subscribed to I think almost since I first started on the 'net (and is still going strong) used to also mention little out of the way "diamonds in the rough" websites on the Internet - great sites that deserve more attention, in other words. One of the very first ones they mentioned in that feature (back in 2003)? Wikipedia.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Why, why, why are there ads for Dunkin' Donuts and Tim Hortons on the boards of the Staples Center in Los Angeles???
OCSam

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Mick Taylor just played at Staples on Monday. He eats a LOT of donuts

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Johnblue wrote:Mick Taylor just played at Staples on Monday. He eats a LOT of donuts
But there's not one within 50 miles of Staples. There have been reports that they're returning to Southern California in the next couple of years.

I was surprised to find one at Camp Pendleton. Of course, I just can't head down there and pick up a dozen at the drive-thru.
OCSam

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

OrangeSAM wrote:Why, why, why are there ads for Dunkin' Donuts and Tim Hortons on the boards of the Staples Center in Los Angeles???
Why there are Tim Horton's ads.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

silverscreentest wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:Why, why, why are there ads for Dunkin' Donuts and Tim Hortons on the boards of the Staples Center in Los Angeles???
Thanks, sst. That's a sensible explanation for something that appears nonsensical. On the downside, we lose some of the local flavor of these arenas and cities.
OCSam

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Jasoni22 wrote:

Huh? I saw it on 2+2 forums, although it's a poker site there are many trivia fans (and they play a lot of think different games).

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

OrangeSAM wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
Thanks, sst. That's a sensible explanation for something that appears nonsensical. On the downside, we lose some of the local flavor of these arenas and cities.
Pragmatic response: What sort of local flavor can survive when you get a new stadium every decade anyway?

Sarcastic response: Local flavor of the Staples Center? The last thing you want is its "local flavor!" :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Colossal (9), The Love Bug (8), The Awful Truth (9), Girls Trip (6)

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote:
Pragmatic response: What sort of local flavor can survive when you get a new stadium every decade anyway?

Sarcastic response: Local flavor of the Staples Center? The last thing you want is its "local flavor!" :lol:
100% agreement on the Staples Center's immediate neighborhood.

I would rather see something I can identify as "California", not "East Coast". "La Canada", not "Canada". Without that, it looks like just another ("Hey") McArena.
OCSam

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Thanks for the fun Crossword, Joon! :)

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Paucle wrote:Thanks for the fun Crossword, Joon! :)
thanks, and you're welcome. (there should be a shorter way of saying that. welthanks?) and if you're a NYT subscriber, you will not have long at all to wait for my next one.

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

jpahk wrote:
Paucle wrote:Thanks for the fun Crossword, Joon! :)
thanks, and you're welcome. (there should be a shorter way of saying that. welthanks?) and if you're a NYT subscriber, you will not have long at all to wait for my next one.
Please let us know the date. My paper runs the NYT puzzle with a week's delay and without crediting the composer, but they do include a date code. I'll be sure to watch for that date.

[Oops! I'm off on vacation soon and might not see it delivered to my house. A quarter and a trip to the library may be in order.]
OCSam

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

okay, enough being coy. it's tomorrow's puzzle, available now to premium puzzles subscribers online as a .puz or pdf file.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I actually get mine from The Albany Times Union's "Early Bird" edition, which offers most of Sunday's paper (pretty much everything but the "daily" news) on Saturday.

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Paucle wrote:I actually get mine from The Albany Times Union's "Early Bird" edition, which offers most of Sunday's paper (pretty much everything but the "daily" news) on Saturday.
oh, okay. so you're ahead of the game. i thought you were talking about my puzzle from yesterday.

billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

jpahk wrote:
Paucle wrote:I actually get mine from The Albany Times Union's "Early Bird" edition, which offers most of Sunday's paper (pretty much everything but the "daily" news) on Saturday.
oh, okay. so you're ahead of the game. i thought you were talking about my puzzle from yesterday.
I did the one you posted yesterday, and enjoyed it. A nice mix of deviousness with enough straightforwardness so it was doable but challenging. Well done. BTW I especially liked the "data player"- which i was still puzzling over until i was only missing one letter, (then OH, THAT data player)- and the "classic album'.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.