Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4582
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Woof »

earendel wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:49 am
Nitpick: D&D is not a board game.
Agreed, though overland campaigns using Avalon Hill hex landscapes came close in my experience.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7802
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by seaborgium »

earendel wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:49 am Nitpick: D&D is not a board game.
If you play it around a table, it is.
User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1419
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by trainman »

earendel wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:49 am Nitpick: D&D is not a board game.
The term "tabletop games" would probably confuse the average Reader's Digest reader.
User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7968
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

I wish I had thought of this at the time ...

Slylock Wild Guess.JPG
Slylock Wild Guess.JPG (117.29 KiB) Viewed 2508 times
User avatar
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 661
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: mired in the bureaucracy

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by earendel »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:11 pm
earendel wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:49 am Nitpick: D&D is not a board game.
If you play it around a table, it is.
I, it’s a tabletop game. I suppose if you use a battlemat and minis it might count.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 8181
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

earendel wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:59 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:11 pm
earendel wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:49 am Nitpick: D&D is not a board game.
If you play it around a table, it is.
I, it’s a tabletop game. I suppose if you use a battlemat and minis it might count.
And depending who you play with it could definitely be a bored game
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): I, Tonya (7), Despicable Me 2 (6), Despicable Me 3 (5), Downsizing (5)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7802
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by seaborgium »

earendel wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:59 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:11 pm
earendel wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:49 am Nitpick: D&D is not a board game.
If you play it around a table, it is.
I, it’s a tabletop game. I suppose if you use a battlemat and minis it might count.
"Board" can mean "table"!
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 13125
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 11/25 ep. of You Bet Your Life had enough time at the end to bring up an audience member to play one question.

Dakota Johnson's famous dad Don Johnson starred in the 80's TV series, "Miami ____."

(Yes, that is how '80s was written.)

Think of a funny & clueless guess before you look.

What the guy said:
Spoiler
90210
Fortunately for the contestant it's a spot where Jay is allowed to help and he used a VP reference to all but give away the answer.
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 8181
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

https://www.salon.com/2021/11/27/everyt ... 9-variant/

South Africa appears to have the most confirmed cases of Omicron so far, according to The New York Times. 58 were reportedly concentrated in the bustling province of Gauteng, which is home to the country's capital of Johannesburg...
And there's -three- options to choose from even :roll:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): I, Tonya (7), Despicable Me 2 (6), Despicable Me 3 (5), Downsizing (5)
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 13125
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

Time to get this thread back on page one.

Check out today's pizza cutting Google Doodle. It was fun to get to the end even if I lack the proper math/spatial skills.
User avatar
squarekara
J! Reactionary
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:17 am Time to get this thread back on page one.

Check out today's pizza cutting Google Doodle. It was fun to get to the end even if I lack the proper math/spatial skills.
Here 'tis:
🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕
Celebrating Pizza! #GoogleDoodle
https://g.co/doodle/5rsvf9x
User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Robert K S »

18/33 without really trying
User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 13125
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sliding it over her from LL91:
RandyG wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:28 pm
classicroadster wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:43 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:50 am
morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:16 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:49 am I didn't remember the Idris Elba show title and let it hang over my head all day.
I knee-jerked to Lucifer, then hit the brakes and realized it was a sounds-like situation - took a full five minutes to pull Luther
I did basically the same, except I started with Preacher. I knew that "...her" was right, so I ran through the alphabet until I got to L.

Does Luther air on TV in the US anywhere, or is Idris Elba just that famous that this will come up? This is the kind of TV question I usually miss.
Pretty sure its on BBC America. I've never seen it but we watch a few BBC shows (Killing Eve in particular) and I've seen the ads there.
It's on BritBox (standalone streaming). If you're into British TV shows -- mystery, cop/detective, soaps/dramas, comedy (British comedy is definitely an acquired taste).... current and going back decades -- it's a find. My wife loves it, and AcornTV too, although I'd say that BritBox is better.
For online searching I use: reelgood.com

Through a voice search on my Xfinity controller: HBO Max and Ovation
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7802
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by seaborgium »

This is probably too elaborate for the current events thread, but too interesting not to share.

In tree rings and radioactive carbon, signs of the Vikings in North America

Thanks to wood used by Vikings in their Newfoundland settlement, scientists have managed to determine that a few trees they chopped down were felled in 1021. It's long been established, through sagas and archaeology (including carbon dating), that the Norse made it to North America approximately a thousand years ago, but this is the first time a precise date has been determined.

The science behind it was news to me: apparently there was a "cosmic ray event" that caused a worldwide high level of carbon-14 in the atmosphere in 993, which can be found in the rings of trees that were alive at the time. Counting outward from the ring with the spike of radioactivity, they could find the exact year the trees stopped growing. (The trees show evidence of metal tools having been used on them, which is how they're known to be Viking artifacts.)

The article mentions this "cosmic ray event" in passing without further elaboration. Apparently evidence of these things can be found in the rings of (old enough) trees around the world, plus records of what has been inferred to be intense auroral activity dating to late 992 were found in Ireland, Germany, and Korea. The actual event is surmised to have been some sort of solar storm.
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 8181
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

Hrm. I've lost both CBS and FOX now over the air...time to do some antenna maintenance...

Must have changed frequencies. Rescan found them, FOX is back to normal and CBS...exists (like, 50% signal, so crazy blocky. No loss). Fiddling with antenna too much is a dangerous game.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): I, Tonya (7), Despicable Me 2 (6), Despicable Me 3 (5), Downsizing (5)
User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8822
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:43 pm Hrm. I've lost both CBS and FOX now over the air...time to do some antenna maintenance...

Must have changed frequencies. Rescan found them, FOX is back to normal and CBS...exists (like, 50% signal, so crazy blocky. No loss). Fiddling with antenna too much is a dangerous game.
You're still in California, right? My first thought was tornadoes. We had a ton of those last night just east of here (KC area).
User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 8181
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:47 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:43 pm Hrm. I've lost both CBS and FOX now over the air...time to do some antenna maintenance...

Must have changed frequencies. Rescan found them, FOX is back to normal and CBS...exists (like, 50% signal, so crazy blocky. No loss). Fiddling with antenna too much is a dangerous game.
You're still in California, right? My first thought was tornadoes. We had a ton of those last night just east of here (KC area).
Yep. Just maintenance on their end.

https://www.foxla.com/news/rescan-your- ... sting-kttv
On Thursday, December 9 at 10:00 a.m. PT, KTTV, Los Angeles, California will begin to broadcast in a new digital format called ATSC 3.0. We will also continue to broadcast in the current format, so that you will still be able to watch FOX programming over the air on your current television set, but you will need to rescan your television set on December 9, 2021 after 10:00 a.m. PT in order to continue receiving that broadcast.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): I, Tonya (7), Despicable Me 2 (6), Despicable Me 3 (5), Downsizing (5)
User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7968
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:13 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:47 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:43 pm Hrm. I've lost both CBS and FOX now over the air...time to do some antenna maintenance...

Must have changed frequencies. Rescan found them, FOX is back to normal and CBS...exists (like, 50% signal, so crazy blocky. No loss). Fiddling with antenna too much is a dangerous game.
You're still in California, right? My first thought was tornadoes. We had a ton of those last night just east of here (KC area).
Yep. Just maintenance on their end.

https://www.foxla.com/news/rescan-your- ... sting-kttv
On Thursday, December 9 at 10:00 a.m. PT, KTTV, Los Angeles, California will begin to broadcast in a new digital format called ATSC 3.0. We will also continue to broadcast in the current format, so that you will still be able to watch FOX programming over the air on your current television set, but you will need to rescan your television set on December 9, 2021 after 10:00 a.m. PT in order to continue receiving that broadcast.
Huh. Didn't know anybody was moving to 3.0 already.
User avatar
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3286
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:28 pm Didn't know anybody was moving to 3.0 already.
I didn't know this until looking it up just now, but Clevelanders got ATSC 3.0 as early as the 2016 World Series for 4K UHD broadcast.
User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9914
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:28 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:13 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:47 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:43 pm Hrm. I've lost both CBS and FOX now over the air...time to do some antenna maintenance...

Must have changed frequencies. Rescan found them, FOX is back to normal and CBS...exists (like, 50% signal, so crazy blocky. No loss). Fiddling with antenna too much is a dangerous game.
You're still in California, right? My first thought was tornadoes. We had a ton of those last night just east of here (KC area).
Yep. Just maintenance on their end.

https://www.foxla.com/news/rescan-your- ... sting-kttv
On Thursday, December 9 at 10:00 a.m. PT, KTTV, Los Angeles, California will begin to broadcast in a new digital format called ATSC 3.0. We will also continue to broadcast in the current format, so that you will still be able to watch FOX programming over the air on your current television set, but you will need to rescan your television set on December 9, 2021 after 10:00 a.m. PT in order to continue receiving that broadcast.
Huh. Didn't know anybody was moving to 3.0 already.
Looks like all of the Orlando-area stations already have it (and a hundred-ish other).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0# ... n_ATSC_3.0
Post Reply