Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Looks like a fellow boardie will be working again!
Let's hope!

And to all those dissing Bloom County, thbbbbppffttt!!!!!
Changing your name to Bill the Cat????
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dinghammer wrote:"Who has more kids -- Michael Jordan or the King of Jordan?" was pretty hard too. I think certain people might know about Michael Jordan's three older children and recent twins, but most of our monarchy enthusiasts seem to follow Elizabeth II, not Abdullah II.
Speaking of the former, she's got less than two months to go. She's already Britain's longest-lived monarch and the world's oldest reigning monarch. Assuming she's still alive (and still queen) on September 10, she will surpass her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria, as the longest-reigning monarch in history. 63 years, 7 months and change if I did the math right. I don't care that she's mostly a figurehead and queening ain't what it used to be. That's still pretty darned impressive. There are few of us on this board (and I'm not one of them) who've even been alive during another British monarch's reign. Any of us old enough to remember such a time?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:
dinghammer wrote:"Who has more kids -- Michael Jordan or the King of Jordan?" was pretty hard too. I think certain people might know about Michael Jordan's three older children and recent twins, but most of our monarchy enthusiasts seem to follow Elizabeth II, not Abdullah II.
Speaking of the former, she's got less than two months to go. She's already Britain's longest-lived monarch and the world's oldest reigning monarch. Assuming she's still alive (and still queen) on September 10, she will surpass her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria, as the longest-reigning monarch in history. 63 years, 7 months and change if I did the math right. I don't care that she's mostly a figurehead and queening ain't what it used to be. That's still pretty darned impressive. There are few of us on this board (and I'm not one of them) who've even been alive during another British monarch's reign. Any of us old enough to remember such a time?
I am not, but my mom, who turned 72 this spring, says that she wrote a fan letter to the queen shortly after she started her reign. (I think my grandmother showed me the reply she got once many years ago (my grandmother passed away almost 20 years ago, so it would have been a while) and it was a form letter but my mom treasured it. I don't know what happened to it since.)

My parents recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary back in the spring, I sent a request to get a congratulatory letter from the Queen. From what I could tell, I think only the Governor General does 50th and HM does 60th, but if I'm wrong (or if they're still around 10 years from now) my mom will be tickled pink to get another letter from her.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
I am not, but my mom, who turned 72 this spring, says that she wrote a fan letter to the queen shortly after she started her reign. (I think my grandmother showed me the reply she got once many years ago (my grandmother passed away almost 20 years ago, so it would have been a while) and it was a form letter but my mom treasured it. I don't know what happened to it since.)

My parents recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary back in the spring, I sent a request to get a congratulatory letter from the Queen. From what I could tell, I think only the Governor General does 50th and HM does 60th, but if I'm wrong (or if they're still around 10 years from now) my mom will be tickled pink to get another letter from her.
If they keep on at this rate people may begin to talk!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Could be good for a chuckle or two. (Yes, I believe there are more in here from Family Feud (any incarnation, including apparently the British version), than any other, I'm guessing second place would be the Dating Game. Jeopardy! only has one, from a contestant interview.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6tCtJw_IrA

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That picture, um *looks* like something Vanya would post.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Robert K S wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:I share Garry Trudeau's opinion of Berkeley Breathed.
That it's derivative?
That and many other adjectives.

I was doing some research on the Trudeau-Breathed relationship and came across this interview. It's hard to fathom a political cartoonist from the '80s who was evidently unaware of Pat Oliphant and who had only ever read one comic strip in his whole life. If I were making a caricature of Breathed I would have dismissed those ideas as too outrageous and defamatory to be believed.

Rex
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Today I learned: the term "perk" in the context of employment is a shortened form of the word "perquisite." Checking the Archive, this has come up once before, in 2007. Seems like the type of thing that will come up again eventually.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:That picture, um *looks* like something Vanya would post.
As far as I know I can't change the picture used on a video before it plays. But hey maybe it'll get Vanya interested.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:Could be good for a chuckle or two. (Yes, I believe there are more in here from Family Feud (any incarnation, including apparently the British version), than any other, I'm guessing second place would be the Dating Game. Jeopardy! only has one, from a contestant interview.)...
It better have '-upine' in it. So much wrong in so few letters...

Edit: Oh, good. It was in there.
Last edited by Volante on Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
brick

Post by brick »

I have grown weary of the internets lies about how funny things are. This was time well wasted. The Jeopardy clip was great. All about Alex's reaction. The grass bit on The Newlywed Game was a lovely slow burn.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
That it's derivative?

I was doing some research on the Trudeau-Breathed relationship and came across this interview. It's hard to fathom a political cartoonist from the '80s who was evidently unaware of Pat Oliphant and who had only ever read one comic strip in his whole life. If I were making a caricature of Breathed I would have dismissed those ideas as too outrageous and defamatory to be believed.
Breathed isn't a political cartoonist. Bloom County wasn't a political cartoon. If that's what youthought he was trying for, you'll definitely miss the point. I'm not saying you'd like the point if you got it. I'm just saying your criticism is like faulting J. K. Rowling for writing bad detective fiction and not being familiar with the genre. It's not an outrageous and defamatory caricature, anyway, so that's a relief.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bloom County > all.

Except, maybe, Calvin and Hobbes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote: As far as I know I can't change the picture used on a video before it plays
Why would you want to?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:Bloom County > all.

I'm with you there. I might throw in The Far Side as a third among equals. Only in retrospect did we understand that all this was happening during the Comics page's last dazzling hurrah.

One thing the three had in common? The authors quit while they were still the best. (True, Breathed cheated by continuing on with Outland and even later getting back in the game with Opus. That may or may not have been a mistake, but at least he never called those strips Bloom County. Thus, Bloom County, like Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side, remains unsullied by the years, a triumphant corpus of near perfection.)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

opusthepenguin wrote:

I'm with you there. I might throw in The Far Side as a third among equals. Only in retrospect did we understand that all this was happening during the Comics page's last dazzling hurrah.

One thing the three had in common? The authors quit while they were still the best. (True, Breathed cheated by continuing on with Outland and even later getting back in the game with Opus. That may or may not have been a mistake, but at least he never called those strips Bloom County. Thus, Bloom County, like Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side, remains unsullied by the years, a triumphant corpus of near perfection.)
Oh, a Gary Larson calendar!

https://youtu.be/LjfkynJ4hbI

(This forum is becoming an excuse for me to post old Simpsons clips at my whimsy.)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote:

Anyone who hasn't spent some time getting to know Get Fuzzy is really missing out. It's the one strip I've seen in the last 20 years that consistently makes me laugh out loud. Pearls Before Swine also has its moments, but I find it to be hit-or-miss.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:

And, as I posted, now there's Bloom County 2015 (at least that seems to be the title). From the (one) strip I"ve seen so far, it seems to be the same as what we've all gotten used to, so one can get back in the game and not lose it (I wonder if Bil Waterson lurks here ... )

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
Robert K S wrote:
That it's derivative?

Breathed isn't a political cartoonist. Bloom County wasn't a political cartoon. If that's what you thought he was trying for, you'll definitely miss the point. I'm not saying you'd like the point if you got it. I'm just saying your criticism is like faulting J. K. Rowling for writing bad detective fiction and not being familiar with the genre. It's not an outrageous and defamatory caricature, anyway, so that's a relief.
Okay, I'll amend my assertion: It's hard to fathom any cartoonist from the '80s who was evidently unaware of Pat Oliphant and who had only ever read one comic strip in his whole life.

Political cartooning is not what I thought he was trying for; it's what Breathed said he was doing (among other things, granted), even in the interview I cited. I have no doubt that one could also find quotes of him firmly denying that he practiced any political cartooning; he is not the most reliable or least self-contradictory pop artist out there. (See "I made it quite clear that Opus was not coming back.")

There was a period, once Breathed had stopped directly copying Trudeau and before he had made so much money that he just didn't care any more, when Bloom County was often quite funny. So, if you can overlook the plagiarism, narcissism, and nihilism -- which I can't, because it oozes into his work -- then he's an enviably capable cartoonist.

Rex
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Message from Google... "#Google will largely outsource moderation."

I wish I could outsource my (need for) moderation.