Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Dodgers were up 13-0 after five innings. Kershaw called it a night. It's now 14-11 in the top of the 8th. Wild one in Anaheim.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Dodgers did hold on 14-11 so of course that meant a 2-1 loss today.

The 5/10 NYT crossword has a couple of bullets for us on JBoard.

Creator of Watson on "Jeopardy!" (3)
Website with trivia quizzes (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Interesting Wikipedia page listing company name etymologies:

List of Company Name Etymologies
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*reads Adam Schefter tweet, chortles*
Spoiler
And the permanent host gig gets even more interesting. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 pm *reads Adam Schefter tweet, chortles*
Spoiler
I just get a "Something went wrong" screen.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 8:10 pm
Volante wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 pm *reads Adam Schefter tweet, chortles*
Spoiler
I just get a "Something went wrong" screen.
Hit refresh a few times? I get that with Twitter too sometimes, eventually clears up with enough F5s
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

I saw that Spencer Silver, co-inventor of Post-It Notes, passed away earlier this month.

I guess he just couldn't stick around any longer.
OCSam
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

OrangeSAM wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 am I saw that Spencer Silver, co-inventor of Post-It Notes, passed away earlier this month.

I guess he just couldn't stick around any longer.
He only came up with the adhesive, it was Romy was the one who wanted to put paper notes all over her walls, and Michelle said they should be yellow.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I guess this is the right place for Posting 101 help :)

A while back I knew how to post pictures/images on here.

This a test, and possibly a cry for help :roll:
I found my imgur account and copied the link. I surrounded it with the little picture gibberish.

ETA1 - obviously a fail. I will try tomorrow. FWIW, here is the tinyurl:
Spoiler
ETA2 - and so it goes. No need for the gibberish. I'm not sure about the image extra junk and if I can crop it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 1:02 am I guess this is the right place for Posting 101 help :)

A while back I knew how to post pictures/images on here.

This a test, and possibly a cry for help :roll:
I found my imgur account and copied the link. I surrounded it with the little picture gibberish.

ETA1 - obviously a fail. I will try tomorrow. FWIW, here is the tinyurl:
Spoiler
ETA2 - and so it goes. No need for the gibberish. I'm not sure about the image extra junk and if I can crop it.
I'm posting this just for the benefit of anybody who might not be this far, or anybody who wants to troubleshoot in the name of science or whatever. I am content with this hack/workaround until I am banned for crimes against machinery :twisted: .

So, thanks to Matt Knowles, I know that I was on the right track, but in my ecosystem, it seems I will be successful by:

1) Using Firefox (my default), or Chrome (MK tested)
2) Using Imgur.com. YMMV amongst other hosting site as far as I know
3) copy the desired image onto my clipboard, and paste into the new post page at h ttps://imgur.com/upload
4) Hover over the image to choose the "Copy Link" option
5) Come back to the best damn board on the internet and drop my crap graphic anyplace I want by pasting the link directly. If I put it inside the little {img][/img} code thingies (square bracket mutated to prevent action) from the little mountain button, it will not work and just says "image".

I will likely spoiler most images to save space and protect the innocent. Or, I will forget how to do it like I already have once. I went to imgur to open a new account for this project and was unable to be "twelvefootboy". I was able to hack that poor mope's account so easy by just guessing his password :roll:
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 10:20 pm
To navigate to the j-archive Daily Double Statistics page first select one of the seasons on the main page of j-archive and then you can scroll to the bottom and click the link that says "Daily Double statistics" at the bottom.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Celebrity Syringe
Attachments
D77231AF-E0D2-450D-AB8F-ACF094D8BDB8.jpeg
D77231AF-E0D2-450D-AB8F-ACF094D8BDB8.jpeg (230.68 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
ED24C431-B8B6-4DDD-9F6E-1DC28745FB7C.jpeg
ED24C431-B8B6-4DDD-9F6E-1DC28745FB7C.jpeg (142.18 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today's 5/25 Google Doodle is a fun one. It's like typing class crossed with a video game rhythm exercise.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It's still up today--quite hard when you get to level 3. I think it's supposed to be DDR on a keyboard.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:56 pm
econgator wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:47 pm
Foretopman wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:40 pm While my response was "what is absolute zero?", I don't see what was wrong with "what is zero kelvin?"
Because that is what is literally on the screen. You need to do more than just read what's already there.
Interestingly, though, Buzzy did not rule Jason wrong, but instead gave a BMS.

Were I hosting I would have have negged at "zero kelvin". It's an SI unit like newtons and amperes and joules, etc. It's zero kelvins. "Degrees kelvin" is wrong for the same reason; it's not a degree scale. I would need more hands to count the number of times I have had to make this point with Ph.D.s who work with cryogenic temperatures as part of their jobs.

That said, I didn't love the clue. Scientists are taught never to neglect their units. In a perfect world, it would be "absolute zero" that would get a BMS. Absolute zero what?
Add one more finger to that backlog of hands. I'm not a PhD, but did just retire from my chairmanship of the Thermocouple subcommittee of the ASTM E20 Temperature Measurement Committee and have had countless encounters with cryogenic topics on ballots, specs, tech presentations, etc.. I knew about the degree symbol, but not the idea of pluralizing the spoken word (when you don't just say "K"). FWIW, our Nomenclature committee always kept us techies in line :). Thank you for the awakening!
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Golf wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:13 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:10 am Nothing to do with today's game, but a correction came in today, so I'll put it here to get the right eyeballs on it since the game predates the board.

From the 4/4/11 game AYE, "PAD" $600:

Princess Amidala, to her friends

Erratum: Padme Amidala was a queen in "The Phantom Menace" and a senator in "Attack Of The Clones" and "Revenge Of The Sith", never a princess.

This is way beyond anything I know or care about. Opinions for accepting/rejecting the suggestion, please.
Star Wars canon is so much more than just the movies, there are so many official novelizations it’s crazy.

Amidala was elected Queen and served a term, she was not part of a royal family therefore not necessarily a princess before becoming queen.

However, she was mayor of a city called Theed before being elected queen and that position’s official title was Princess of Theed. So at one small point in her life she would have been referred to as Princess Amidala.

The above paragraph is based on a Star Wars fandom page with tons of additional information about Amidala. I did not confirm with another source or novelizations.

I think the Jeopardy clue is pretty ignorantly penned, but apparently technically is not in error. I believe a note of some sort should be added.
Let me preface this by saying I truly have no desire to debate or discuss this sore subject, but I will reply just this once. Feel free to rebut.

I have spent a lot of my life in the expanded Star Wars universe, and the truth is this:

Since Disney's purchase of the franchise in 2012, so much lore has been retconned into oblivion for the sake of making more movies and more money that anything written before then has no meaning any more.

I would love to say and believe that your research is accurate, but the only "canon" in this milked-beyond-recognition franchise are the films and anything published after 2012.
Golf

Post by Golf »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:03 am Let me preface this by saying I truly have no desire to debate or discuss this sore subject, but I will reply just this once. Feel free to rebut.

I have spent a lot of my life in the expanded Star Wars universe, and the truth is this:

Since Disney's purchase of the franchise in 2012, so much lore has been retconned into oblivion for the sake of making more movies and more money that anything written before then has no meaning any more.

I would love to say and believe that your research is accurate, but the only "canon" in this milked-beyond-recognition franchise are the films and anything published after 2012.
Don't think there's anything to rebut, not really any right or wrong, just opinion.

Obviously a huge fan of the franchise, never been big into the expanded universe though I've dabbled. Only reason I brought it up was because the replies to the possible erratum on a clue from 10 years ago only dealt with the movies which can actually be only a small part of the whole. 20 years ago when I'd spend hours in bookstores, there would always be 50-100 different Star Wars novels on the shelves that most had no knowledge of. So I knew it was certainly possible that Amidala could have been a princess at some point in the expanded universe. A few minutes of research produced what I posted regarding such.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This thread quickly veered into being my favorite on JBoard.

Accepting whatever the source of "Princess of Theed" is as canon, if she only took the regnal name "Amidala" upon being elected Queen of Naboo, she was never "Princess Amidala". (She was born Padmé Naberrie.)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

The clue in question appeared before the 2012 Disney acquisition and subsequent removal of novelized canon.

The clue was technically correct at the time per Golf’s post but is technically wrong today as per Brigadier’s post. I see no reason to add anything to the archive and I would just leave it the way it appeared in the game.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:36 am The clue in question appeared before the 2012 Disney acquisition and subsequent removal of novelized canon.

The clue was technically correct at the time per Golf’s post but is technically wrong today as per Brigadier’s post. I see no reason to add anything to the archive and I would just leave it the way it appeared in the game.
I want to see it asterisked in the archive with the above explanation...and then some poor soul will have to comb through and do the same with all the sports questions that are no longer valid :lol:
Total game show career losings = $171,522