Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:56 pm I learned over this past weekend that Ibsen wrote all his plays in Danish. I'm posting it here because I think this fact has the makings of a so-called "savage question" on HQ, and forewarned is forearmed.
I've learned that fact two or three times before. It never sticks. Maybe this time. Thanks for giving me another shot at it.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sally Forth Jeopardy.gif
Sally Forth Jeopardy.gif (82.72 KiB) Viewed 7041 times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was impressed that the author of that seems to actually watch the show.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:50 pm
Nick Foles was like the second coming of Montana.
Nick Foles played backup to Alex Smith for the Chiefs and came in and rocked it - the details escape me. I don't understand why the football media diss him so much. His tenure with the Eagles is sure proving that he is no Tim Tebow.
I flipped to becoming a Vikings supporter after the Chiefs pulled their usual vanishing act. Now gotta root for the Eagles, but at least it's not the Giants or Steelers.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:59 am Sally Forth Jeopardy.gif
Can we make the fourth panel of that (the first one on the second row) the background on the TPH education thread?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bumping from last Monday's thread:
Someone tell me what the appeal is in adult Sheldon. I find him completely insufferable, unfunny, anti-charismatic, etc. It's like his whole character is "LOL, this guy doesn't know how to communicate with people in a way that resembles human contact!"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:14 pm Bumping from last Monday's thread:
Someone tell me what the appeal is in adult Sheldon. I find him completely insufferable, unfunny, anti-charismatic, etc. It's like his whole character is "LOL, this guy doesn't know how to communicate with people in a way that resembles human contact!"
You said it yourself -- since he doesnt know how to communicate with people in a way that resembles human contact -- it's LOL.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 pm You said it yourself -- since he doesnt know how to communicate with people in a way that resembles human contact -- it's LOL.
So basically it's blackface for nerds.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is a first come, first serve type of thing as it won't work for the 2nd person. I finished a box of Wheaties and there is an offer of 3 free Jordan Spieth Titleist golf balls with purchase of 4 specially marked boxes. Jumping through the registration hoops and the marketing annoyances that go with it are not of interest to me. Not to mention the product itself.

In case anyone does care this is my code up for grabs:

Registration is at: wheaties.com/golfballs

The offer goes through the end of May, so I'm sure I'll go through a few more boxes of the cereal before then to have more codes to share.

Out of curiosity I checked eBay and sure enough there are sellers looking for buyers of one single ball or the set of three.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That was a contrast in approaches at the NBA All Star Game with Barenaked Ladies singing "O Canada" and Fergie singing "The Star-Spangled Banner."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 pm That was a contrast in approaches at the NBA All Star Game with Barenaked Ladies singing "O Canada" and Fergie singing "The Star-Spangled Banner."
Also octave ranges. O Canada doesn't have notes only dogs can hear.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:35 pm That was a contrast in approaches at the NBA All Star Game with Barenaked Ladies singing "O Canada" and Fergie singing "The Star-Spangled Banner."
Deadspin posted Fergie's rendition, and someone in the comments posted that even Mike Pence sat down for it.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:38 am
Deadspin posted Fergie's rendition, and someone in the comments posted that even Mike Pence sat down for it.
I rarely succumb to clickbait, but because of the discussion here, gave it a hear. I've no problem with her rendering of Vogon poetry sung to the melody of a drinking song. Except it's supposed to be over in two minutes, so chop some out or pick up the tempo! I was slightly disappointed because I thought Fergie meant Sarah Ferguson, so there goes my street cred. :lol:
Great comment about Pence! What a tool!
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I'm not sure I've ever heard the SSB sung in a husky-voiced, seductive style. And I hope I never hear it that way again.

Note to potential SSB performers. The pain is over with much faster if you stick with the original 3/4 time.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw this story and a certain boardie came to mind.

http://www.oregonlive.com/olympics/inde ... derat.html
New York Times best-selling true crime author Rebecca Morris was concerned.

Morris lives in the Greenwood neighborhood of Seattle and was shocked to see a Confederate flag flying off a flagpole right in front of her house. Not wanting to start trouble with a neighbor, Morris instead decided to write her local paper - the Seattle Times - to tip them off and see if there was a perhaps a story behind the flag recently being flaunted just a stone's throw from her home.
The only problem was, it wasn't a confederate flag at all. It was a Norwegian flag.
jfwow2018

Post by jfwow2018 »

Another SSB clue today! (Fri 2/23)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:41 pm I saw this story and a certain boardie came to mind.

http://www.oregonlive.com/olympics/inde ... derat.html
New York Times best-selling true crime author Rebecca Morris was concerned.

Morris lives in the Greenwood neighborhood of Seattle and was shocked to see a Confederate flag flying off a flagpole right in front of her house. Not wanting to start trouble with a neighbor, Morris instead decided to write her local paper - the Seattle Times - to tip them off and see if there was a perhaps a story behind the flag recently being flaunted just a stone's throw from her home.
The only problem was, it wasn't a confederate flag at all. It was a Norwegian flag.
Funny story. I can see where a 40-something or younger could grow up without the ubiquitous presence of that wretched racist symbol. The sooner we forget the white swastika, the better.

I followed the link to the article and had the misfortune to read some comments. Some good natured funny pokes and a lot of hate. Sigh.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yeah, I recognize it but what is it? And by who? Thanks.
PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 by Liszt? If that’s right, I heard it first, like a lot of classical music, in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

PowerofHoodoo wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:52 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Hungarian Rhapsody No 2 by Liszt? If that’s right, I heard it first, like a lot of classical music, in a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
Thank you so much. Yes, you have your pick of cartoons.