Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:58 am (I believe it will not be paywalled):
There was a banner at the bottom of my screen that said "You have been gifted this article by a Post subscriber." Thanks! I've never seen that before, but it's a good idea.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:23 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:58 am (I believe it will not be paywalled):
There was a banner at the bottom of my screen that said "You have been gifted this article by a Post subscriber." Thanks! I've never seen that before, but it's a good idea.
I think it's a new feature on the Post site. I had only started noticing it recently and realized it might be handy when posting a link. Good to know it works!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not the kind of show that gets its own thread.

The 9/14 ep. of Jason Biggs' Cash at Your Door

ended with this question:

TOYS - Bild Lilli, a 1950s comic strip character, was the original inspiration for what classic U.S. toy?

The family (surprised at home with Jason showing up) had $10,000 they could keep or risk the $6,000 they had won from the previous round to try to bring the total up to $25,000 or fall to $4,000 on a miss. They had parents and five children (oldest 28) making seven people answering.

They decided to go for it.

What happened:
Spoiler
The thinking went from America Girl doll to Raggedy Ann to Barbie and they made the right choice to have the show end on a high note.
Correct answer:
Spoiler
Barbie - No Archive hits for Bild Lilli, but I guessed it right as well. It was only afterwards that I recalled seeing someone with the original German doll on MeTV's Collector's Call. I like the question as it's possible to go from Lilli being female to 1950s to work it out without the question being a gimme or way too hard.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Raggedy Ann is much older than 1950's.
Douglas Squasoni
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Ranker has a compendium of 25 triple stumpers from 2020. Warning: they’ve put the answers annoying close to the questions, so you have to take care not to spoil yourself.

Ranker’s triple stumper list
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woof wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:29 pm Ranker has a compendium of 25 triple stumpers from 2020. Warning: they’ve put the answers annoying close to the questions, so you have to take care not to spoil yourself.

I got eight right. It would be nine if you accept
Spoiler
old fart for old fogy
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:44 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:29 pm Ranker has a compendium of 25 triple stumpers from 2020. Warning: they’ve put the answers annoying close to the questions, so you have to take care not to spoil yourself.

Spoiler
old fart for old fogy
That’s what I answered when the question originally aired. I’d accept it, but I doubt that Sony would :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

On first read-through I thought you said "take care not to soil yourself". Which is good advice but seemed a little extreme for the situation.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Spoiler
old fart for old fogy
Twelve, thirteen if
Spoiler
coot
would be acceptable for the same clue. I think the chances would be less than 50/50.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:29 pm

Spoiler
old fart for old fogy
Twelve, thirteen if
Spoiler
coot
would be acceptable for the same clue. I think the chances would be less than 50/50.
Spoiler
Category was "F"OUR-LETTER WORDS, so no.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A PM for me came in and I got an email about it. It's been a long time since I got the notification like that. Hope that features stays. Thanks to whoever got it to work.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:51 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:29 pm

Spoiler
old fart for old fogy
Twelve, thirteen if
Spoiler
coot
Spoiler
Category was "F"OUR-LETTER WORDS, so no.
Yup. Another reminder to RTFQ. So I guess I was right in saying chances would be less than 50/50, though.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Adding to the Monday 9/20 game thread side discussion.

One more occurred to me: Coming to America - The experience was memorable for the theater being crowded enough and my being with enough friends that we could not all sit in the same row.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 pm Adding to the Monday 9/20 game thread side discussion.

One more occurred to me: Coming to America - The experience was memorable for the theater being crowded enough and my being with enough friends that we could not all sit in the same row.
OK, I'll "dip" in again-
Gorillas in the Mist
Crossing Delancey
Stand and Deliver
Let's Get Lost
Scrooged
The Last Temptation of Christ - OK, not great, but it's Scorsese! And I attended at the Ziegfeld Theater in NY in the face of pickets and threats...
The Vanishing - the original Dutch version only! - still probably the most frightening movie I've ever seen.
The Thin Blue Line was already mentioned, but something more has to be said for a picture that helped get somebody out of jail - and has a Philip Glass score that still runs through my head...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:46 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:22 pm Adding to the Monday 9/20 game thread side discussion.

OK, I'll "dip" in again-
Gorillas in the Mist
Crossing Delancey
Stand and Deliver
Let's Get Lost
Scrooged
The Last Temptation of Christ - OK, not great, but it's Scorsese! And I attended at the Ziegfeld Theater in NY in the face of pickets and threats...
The Vanishing - the original Dutch version only! - still probably the most frightening movie I've ever seen.
The Thin Blue Line was already mentioned, but something more has to be said for a picture that helped get somebody out of jail - and has a Philip Glass score that still runs through my head...
All this, from my perspective, is kind of making my point.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:19 pm

OK, I'll "dip" in again-
Gorillas in the Mist
Crossing Delancey
Stand and Deliver
Let's Get Lost
Scrooged
That you don't like a lot of movies?
I checked out the 1989 Academy Awards and found some more-
The Accidental Tourist
Married to the Mob
Little Dorrit
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Wings of Desire (I actually hated this one, but many people loved it...)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Moonstruck?
Broadcast News?
davey

Post by davey »

squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 am Moonstruck?
Broadcast News?
both released in '87
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:01 am Moonstruck?
Broadcast News?
Moonstruck was awesome. Broadcast News was pretty good. 1987 was a great year for movies. 1988 really suffered by comparison. Maybe that's the problem. It just felt like such a letdown. There were a lot of ok movies in '88, but very few I've bothered to see again.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:59 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:19 pm

OK, I'll "dip" in again-
Gorillas in the Mist
Crossing Delancey
Stand and Deliver
Let's Get Lost
Scrooged
That you don't like a lot of movies?
I checked out the 1989 Academy Awards and found some more-
The Accidental Tourist
Married to the Mob
Little Dorrit
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
Wings of Desire (I actually hated this one, but many people loved it...)
Yes, there are a lot of movies I don't like. But this is more about movies that, while they may have had their moments, just weren't that great. There was very little to get excited about and see again years later. The cream of the crop was mostly milk. Didn't bother seeing Accidental Tourist. Never regretted that. Saw Married to the Mob. Didn't regret that, but wasn't really wowed.

Oh, and Coming to America was painfully bad. Just embarrassing. Didn't see it when it came out. Made the mistake of rectifying that mistake a couple years back.