Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:06 pm So, normally I'm not much of a personal life disclosure person, but right now four major streets over has been a mandatory evac order due to the Silverado Fire.
Large residential and commercial areas still between me and it, but the Santa Anas aren't expected to die down until mid tomorrow and they're gusting 35mph+

Fire's grown from 50 acres to 500* in three hours. Looks like CalFire updated the acreage downward a lot.
Stay safe, Volante.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:30 am
Volante wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:06 pm So, normally I'm not much of a personal life disclosure person, but right now four major streets over has been a mandatory evac order due to the Silverado Fire.
Large residential and commercial areas still between me and it, but the Santa Anas aren't expected to die down until mid tomorrow and they're gusting 35mph+

Fire's grown from 50 acres to 500* in three hours. Looks like CalFire updated the acreage downward a lot.
Stay safe, Volante.
Well, I appear to be in the clear. Sucker's racing southward away from me. Still a blanket of smoke everywhere. More incredible, no homes damaged by Silverado yet. If we can make it ~6 more hours, wind will start coming from the ocean...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 am
alietr wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:30 am

Stay safe, Volante.
Well, I appear to be in the clear. Sucker's racing southward away from me. Still a blanket of smoke everywhere. More incredible, no homes damaged by Silverado yet. If we can make it ~6 more hours, wind will start coming from the ocean...
Wow. Definitely more excitement than you need. Thanks for the update.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not the kind of shows that get their own "Fun with" thread.

CBS had primetime eps. of The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal.

Social distancing was in place and I can imagine Drew and the models are fine with no more up close and personal with the wildly excited contestants (plus guests at the end). Contestant's row is up on stage and people "come on down" with a short entrance from behind the scenes. The games are the same although some of the prizes were jacked up for airing at night.

Cliff Hangers was played and the guesses were $15, $55 & $76. :o :twisted: :roll: :lol: (I didn't know which smilie to pick.)

Showcase Showdown was one contestant at a time at the wheel area instead of all three lined up at the same time.

George looked and sounded fine.

Deal had a much smaller audience than the old days, but there were (I think) about a dozen people in costumes present. Wayne (and Jonathan) had a chance to also interact with people playing from home on video screens. Winners and zonks and a big deal. Same old, same old.

Between those shows and the WS I'm already behind two hours on This is Us. :( I hate two-hour season premieres and finales of dramas.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:38 am
Between those shows and the WS I'm already behind two hours on This is Us. :( I hate two-hour season premieres and finales of dramas.
Since it’s recorded you’re really only 90 minutes behind with commercial skipping.

You could just treat it like the producers do and watch it as two one hour episodes.

A long time ago I noticed how two hour episodes are written with a natural break at the one hour mark. This is done for rerun purposes. You can even see in the credits sometimes where there are different writing or directing credits for “part I and part II”.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:20 am
Since it’s recorded you’re really only 90 minutes behind with commercial skipping.

You could just treat it like the producers do and watch it as two one hour episodes.

A long time ago I noticed how two hour episodes are written with a natural break at the one hour mark. This is done for rerun purposes. You can even see in the credits sometimes where there are different writing or directing credits for “part I and part II”.
With Comcast's smart resume it's probably closer to 85 minutes to get caught up, which I'll do by next Tuesday. Yes, I may watch it in two segments. Tonight with Big Brother, Amazing Race, The Wall, Ninja Warrior and Masked Singer won't be catch-up night. Add in that I like the ABC comedies [Trivia note: American Housewife will have a new Anna-Kat with Giselle Eisenberg replacing Julia (I've worked with Leo and Tarantino - who needs a sitcom?) Butters].
davey

Post by davey »

/

Isn't it more likely that they were made as one-hour episodes, then the network decided to air them together?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:59 pm /

Isn't it more likely that they were made as one-hour episodes, then the network decided to air them together?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When picking winners of Atlanta Falcons games I should just toss a coin for the rest of the season as thinking & looking for trends is getting me nowhere. :twisted:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Fun Google Doodle Halloween game
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:25 pm When picking winners of Atlanta Falcons games I should just toss a coin for the rest of the season as thinking & looking for trends is getting me nowhere. :twisted:
It helps when they play crappy teams.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

How weird is 2020? The online pool I'm in picks the winners of NFL games week by week. Every person has the Bills beating the Patriots. That cannot have happened this century? Not surprising is everyone has KC beating the Jets and ranks it for 14 points (the maximum with 14 games this week).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 pm How weird is 2020? The online pool I'm in picks the winners of NFL games week by week. Every person has the Bills beating the Patriots. That cannot have happened this century? Not surprising is everyone has KC beating the Jets and ranks it for 14 points (the maximum with 14 games this week).
How'd they do on Rams/Dolphins?
Was watching this at the brewery. ...and I'll just link to it. https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1322977238816468994 Saved for posterity...
Spoiler
You had ONE JOB, graphics guy :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:51 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:10 pm How weird is 2020? The online pool I'm in picks the winners of NFL games week by week. Every person has the Bills beating the Patriots. That cannot have happened this century? Not surprising is everyone has KC beating the Jets and ranks it for 14 points (the maximum with 14 games this week).
How'd they do on Rams/Dolphins?
Was watching this at the brewery. ...and I'll just link to it. https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1322977238816468994 Saved for posterity...
Spoiler
You had ONE JOB, graphics guy :lol:
All 7 had the Rams (supposed to be good at 5-2 and usually do well in morning East Coast games + facing a rookie QB) for 9, 9, 11, 11, 12 & me the biggest dummy for 13 with the one smart person who knew (or loves Alabama?) something only assigning it a 2. Weird week as after 13 games the high score is 52 and the low is 40.

I've got the TB Bradys for 11 tomorrow against NYG and I'm wearing a Bucs shirt.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

More education for me in the USA Today crossword:

RAE Senarighi
EVA Victor
EBOY

Fortunately, all the crosses were fair to prevent naticks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This thread does not get all of the eyes of the board, but it gets enough.

Card Sharks November 1 episode in the second Money Cards bonus round:

The player gets $10,000 in chips and one opportunity to swap out the card showing for another in the standard 52-card deck after it's been cut.

First card: 4 clubs +$8,000 higher = $18K total
Second: 8 clubs and changed to King of Clubs (+15,000 lower = $33,000 total)
Third: 7 diamonds (-10,000 as bet higher & was lower = $23,000 total)
Fourth: 3 clubs (+20,000 on higher = $43,000 total)
Fifth: 10 hearts (+15,000 higher = $58,000 total)
Sixth: King hearts (bet all $58,000 that next card would be lower)
Seventh and last card:
Spoiler

A $%*&#@ ACE of diamonds! :o Game over $0 won unless the player gets something for winning the main game?
Playing at home my wager on the last card was going to be $42,000 for a pretty $100K or with the odds in my favor then perhaps $50,000. If the player chooses to bet they have to wager at least half. Walking with the full $58K is also an option though hard to do when looking at a king.

Math and stats people can calculate what are the odds an ace is the last card and what to do from there. I believe the Season 2 rules of this McHale version are that a push (if a king had come up) then the player would have been done and won $58,000?

Prior to the last card a player must bet at least $1000 on each card.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:37 pm Math and stats people can calculate what are the odds an ace is the last card and what to do from there.
Seven cards already in play (6 plus the changed card), so that leaves 4 aces in 45 cards or 8.89%. I would have bet as you did. Walking away with 16K would dull the pain a bit.

I believe the Season 2 rules of this McHale version are that a push (if a king had come up) then the player would have been done and won $58,000?
Correct.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:07 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:37 pm Math and stats people can calculate what are the odds an ace is the last card and what to do from there.
Seven cards already in play (6 plus the changed card), so that leaves 4 aces in 45 cards or 8.89%. I would have bet as you did. Walking away with 16K would dull the pain a bit.

I believe the Season 2 rules of this McHale version are that a push (if a king had come up) then the player would have been done and won $58,000?
Correct.
Sometimes after a big TD (or missed field goal) there are video montages on YouTube showing fans' reactions across the country. I wish there was one of viewers for the ep. on the last reveal as I know I yelled out in some manner for the "bad beat" as Joel calls it. Thanks for the number crunching. Yeah, hold something back.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Was Jeopardy just introducing its new host in Philadelphia today? I couldn't quite make out the text:

bpc2.jpeg
bpc2.jpeg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
I'm smart and I want respect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Lefty wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:00 am Was Jeopardy just introducing its new host in Philadelphia today? I couldn't quite make out the text:

bpc2.jpeg
I swear, I had to triple check to make sure that it wasn’t a parody meme that got loose :shock: