Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think a cover of MAD actually did the "line the birdcage with an iPad" joke.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I think someone wants to welcome back a friend after a Lenten hiatus.

https://www.gocomics.com/lio/2022/04/27
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:11 pm I think someone wants to welcome back a friend after a Lenten hiatus.

https://www.gocomics.com/lio/2022/04/27
Thanks! Alietr PM'ed it to me earlier. Nice to know I can rely on you guys. This definitely would've slipped past if no one had drawn my attention to it. Fairly obscure inside joke these days, I suspect. Everybody remembers Peanuts, Calvin & Hobbes, and The Far Side. But Bloom County and Opus seem to get blank stares as often as not in Jeopardy! clues.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

John Boy wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:57 pm
alietr wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:12 pm Starlings are a nasty invasive species. And mourning doves are annoyingly noisy. I like other birds.
We have mourning doves in our neighborhood and I find their plaintive cry to be one of the loveliest sounds in all of nature. I'm shocked that anyone's take on them could be so 180-degree opposite. Oh well, different strokes.
A Washington Post column agreeing with me on mourning doves:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... antipathy/

... and the rebuttals:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va ... dove-bird/
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Just wanted to brag.
Today's Wordle
2022-05-18 - Wordle.jpg
2022-05-18 - Wordle.jpg (58.06 KiB) Viewed 1105 times
I thought of SPOOR first, but that didn't seem like a Wordle word so I kept thinking.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:10 pm Just wanted to brag.
Today's Wordle
2022-05-18 - Wordle.jpg

I thought of SPOOR first, but that didn't seem like a Wordle word so I kept thinking.
Nice!

I've had 4 2's (out of 72 games). Never had a 1 and only had one 6.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I got it in 2 as well, with first word SOARE
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 pm I got it in 2 as well, with first word SOARE
Nice! Is that your usual opening?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:24 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:10 pm Just wanted to brag.
Today's Wordle

Nice!

I've had 4 2's (out of 72 games). Never had a 1 and only had one 6.
A 2 is better than a 1 anyway. A 1 just means you got lucky. With today's Wordle, I checked a Wordle solver site. When I input the parameters--S in the wrong spot, R in the right spot, T A E not in word--it told me SCOUR was the only Wordle-available word that fit. (I guess I was right that SPOOR is too obscure.) So that was kind of cool.

I've had at least one 6, more I think, probably because I got sloppy. And I had one miss which infuriated me:
Spoiler
Wordle miss - OUND fiasco.jpg
Wordle miss - OUND fiasco.jpg (71.46 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
Spoiler
Turns out it was FOUND. As I studied the board, I realized I could've tried BUMPS in slot 4 and ruled out BOUND, MOUND, and POUND, leaving me free to try HOUND and FOUND in the final 2 slots. (This requires having Hard Mode toggled off, which it is by default.)
So the next time that situation came up, I remembered my previous failure and adapted.
Spoiler
Wordle triumph.jpg
Wordle triumph.jpg (69.11 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
JAMBS ruled out JOKER, HOMER, MOVER, MOPER, and BOXER. DUCHY ruled out CODER, COVER, and HOVER, and let me know one or both of the open spaces was a Y. This one made me even happier than today's twofer because I felt like I outfoxed the game.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

What I find slightly annoying is apparently there's a list of just over 2,000 possibilities for Wordle solutions, but you can enter way more words than that (such as "soare," apparently). I think it would make more sense to only allow answers which are in that ~2,000 word list.

I also don't understand why some people always open with the same word. That just seems so boring to me. Live a little!
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:06 am What I find slightly annoying is apparently there's a list of just over 2,000 possibilities for Wordle solutions, but you can enter way more words than that (such as "soare," apparently). I think it would make more sense to only allow answers which are in that ~2,000 word list.

I also don't understand why some people always open with the same word. That just seems so boring to me. Live a little!
I disagree with the first part - if it's a real word, it should be guessable (SPOOR doesn't seem obscure to me), and I think you have to allow people plural -s's and past participle -ed's, even though I don't think (forgive me if I'm wrong, I haven't checked the list), Wordle would use them. Agree with the second part wholeheartedly.
Also, I was surprised when I learned what "hard mode" is...It's the way I always tried to play, though I use already-eliminated letters all the time from not concentrating. I feel that's a wasted guess. So turning "hard mode" on would keep me from making mistakes, which I call "easier"...
Got it today in 3.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:39 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:18 pm I got it in 2 as well, with first word SOARE
Nice! Is that your usual opening?
Wordlebot likes DEALT the best, so every once in a while I'll use that, or TREND. I also like FUNGI, for some reason.

I still don't know what "soare" means.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My first guess varies from day to day, but sometimes I like to start with a word that has both R and L in it (FERAL, RIVAL, FLAIR, etc.), because almost* any _L consonant cluster that can start a word can also be a _R one, and I hate burning a guess on a word that begins consonant-R when it turns out to be consonant-L, or vice versa. (Or SPL/SPR.)

*S is exclusive to L, and D, T, and W are exclusive to R. (Also there is one LL word and one VR word—at least among five-letter words—and no LR word or VL word.)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:30 am Also, I was surprised when I learned what "hard mode" is...It's the way I always tried to play, though I use already-eliminated letters all the time from not concentrating. I feel that's a wasted guess. So turning "hard mode" on would keep me from making mistakes, which I call "easier"...
Got it today in 3.
There are cases where hard mode prevents you from playing strategically. E.g. my screenshot above where the third row revealed the word had to be _OUND (and couldn't be ROUND, SOUND, or WOUND). That leaves BOUND, FOUND, HOUND, MOUND, and POUND to try in the remaining 3 spaces--an essentially random 60% chance of getting it right. With hard mode off you're actually allowed to use your brain and try BUMPS to find out if B, M, or P are in the word. If one is, you solve the puzzle in the next line. If none are, you have two lines to try the two remaining possibilities. To me that's more satisfying than being forced to guess.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 6:30 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:06 am What I find slightly annoying is apparently there's a list of just over 2,000 possibilities for Wordle solutions, but you can enter way more words than that (such as "soare," apparently). I think it would make more sense to only allow answers which are in that ~2,000 word list.

I disagree with the first part - if it's a real word, it should be guessable (SPOOR doesn't seem obscure to me), and I think you have to allow people plural -s's and past participle -ed's, even though I don't think (forgive me if I'm wrong, I haven't checked the list), Wordle would use them. Agree with the second part wholeheartedly.
I guess the thing that seems strange to me is it does seem to check if you've entered a valid English word, but for some reason the range of actual answer possibilities is limited to 2,000 or so. Why not just make every five letter English word fair game?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:53 am I guess the thing that seems strange to me is it does seem to check if you've entered a valid English word, but for some reason the range of actual answer possibilities is limited to 2,000 or so. Why not just make every five letter English word fair game?
People would complain after a few days of words like EMYDS or JORUM or SABAL. Well, everyone except the Scrabble mavens. Heck, people complained when RUPEE was the answer:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... nswer.html

I'd probably draw the line in a different place than Wordle. I'd put SPOOR on the list anyway. And I got RUPEE without a problem. But I like the game better with a line than without one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:30 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:53 am I guess the thing that seems strange to me is it does seem to check if you've entered a valid English word, but for some reason the range of actual answer possibilities is limited to 2,000 or so. Why not just make every five letter English word fair game?
People would complain after a few days of words like EMYDS or JORUM or SABAL. Well, everyone except the Scrabble mavens. Heck, people complained when RUPEE was the answer:

I'd probably draw the line in a different place than Wordle. I'd put SPOOR on the list anyway. And I got RUPEE without a problem. But I like the game better with a line than without one.
I mean I agree it shouldn't just be some randomly selected word from all possibilities, but not sure why a published list of possible words is necessary, either. Of course your common word might be my head scratcher, too. My wife is a court reporter and she says you'd be amazed how many people don't know what the word "prior" means. :shock:
davey

Post by davey »

We know, too, that The NY Times who owns it puts the line in a different place than the one who created it. I think that's part of the game, figuring out what words are in the shared vocabulary that makes them Wordle-worthy. And then you look at the ones that are, and think how odd even common words are.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:46 am

I mean I agree it shouldn't just be some randomly selected word from all possibilities, but not sure why a published list of possible words is necessary, either. Of course your common word might be my head scratcher, too. My wife is a court reporter and she says you'd be amazed how many people don't know what the word "prior" means. :shock:
The word list was hacked.
https://theconversation.com/wordle-has- ... fun-175675
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

davey wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:48 am think how odd even common words are.
Like recent solution BEING... not easy to arrive at that having an E and an I in yellow, since I is usually before E, and the -EI- combination generally looks like it should be pronounced "eh" or "ay", as in "neigh" and "weigh". From this perspective, BEING seems like it should be pronounced "beng", and you could easily discard "BEING" as a solution for the reason that it must be a non-word because you don't know of any word pronounced "beng".