Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Robert K S »

squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:39 am The Independent: Can you answer these SAT questions from 1926?.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 00546.html
I can't, because paywall. Different link?
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 pm
squarekara wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:39 am The Independent: Can you answer these SAT questions from 1926?.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 00546.html
I can't, because paywall. Different link?
Try this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 02179.html

Or if not, the below should definitely work.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... Dhgtd0Xi6w
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In sub-test one, is half the word list missing? I only see A-H. The answer to (1) appears to be in the missing I section.

The algebra was easy. Some of the proper-noun list association I did not have sufficient knowledge to reckon with, but would make interesting spare-time research.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Took me longer than it should have, but I got it:

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm finding new and amazing ways to make a car fail. Turns out, 20+ years of wear can make keys unreliable.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:28 pm Took me longer than it should have, but I got it:

I'm still peeved that they didn't use that puzzle on my episode...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-r ... ng-records

Interesting story, but gotta wonder about the comparison:

The 477mi lightning flash was over TX, LA, and MS, but in the article they say that it's roughly the distance from NYC to Columbus, OH (or London to Hamburg). OK ....

Why not just say it's roughly the distance from Houston, TX to Pascagoula, MS, which is where it actually occurred?
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:05 am https://public.wmo.int/en/media/press-r ... ng-records

Interesting story, but gotta wonder about the comparison:

The 477mi lightning flash was over TX, LA, and MS, but in the article they say that it's roughly the distance from NYC to Columbus, OH (or London to Hamburg). OK ....

Why not just say it's roughly the distance from Houston, TX to Pascagoula, MS, which is where it actually occurred?
Because more people are likely to be able to visualize the theoretical distance than the actual one?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:24 am Because more people are likely to be able to visualize the theoretical distance than the actual one?
Sure, because so many Americans can visualize the distance between NYC and Columbus. Heck, 95% of Americans probably couldn't tell you that it's the capital of Ohio and 80% probably can't point to Ohio on a map.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:06 pm
davey wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:24 am Because more people are likely to be able to visualize the theoretical distance than the actual one?
Sure, because so many Americans can visualize the distance between NYC and Columbus. Heck, 95% of Americans probably couldn't tell you that it's the capital of Ohio and 80% probably can't point to Ohio on a map.
I used to hear so many non-left-coasters think that Los Angeles was right near San Francisco -- same state, right? -- while they're almost as distant as... as... um.... NYC and Columbus.

I didn't read the original article, but perhaps a better way to get the point across is to say that the distance is equivalent to driving over 7 hours on an interstate.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:47 pm
I used to hear so many non-left-coasters think that Los Angeles was right near San Francisco -- same state, right? -- while they're almost as distant as... as... um.... NYC and Columbus.
And the flip side to that is the Californians that I grew up with referring to Pittsburgh as “the East coast.” Sort of the mirror image of that famous New Yorker cover.
davey

Post by davey »

I didn't say "so many," I said "more." I can only use myself as a guide. I can't place Pascagoula so easily on a map. It's a reasonable theory, and a reasonable choice. But sure, they should have mentioned the real cities as well. (I note they included a map.)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:03 pm
RandyG wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:47 pm
And the flip side to that is the Californians that I grew up with referring to Pittsburgh as “the East coast.” Sort of the mirror image of that famous New Yorker cover.
Exactly.

I've never actually set foot on the ground in Pittsburgh, except at the airport. My one memory of that was a connecting flight from DC to Los Angeles in the mid 1980s, back when US Air used Pittsburgh as a hub and flying was actually a reasonably pleasant experience. Yes, there was a time. The DC-PIT flight is less than 200 miles and perhaps 40 mins in the air, but everyone was served a drink and offered a newspaper with time to spare, and while it was a relatively small plane, it wasn't one of those teeny tiny ones. Ah, days gone by.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Oh, so they were dumb and inappropriate ones.

I thought they would be like Dick Clark's Challengers April fools categories. Like "Politics of Burundi".
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

RandyG wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:47 pm I didn't read the original article, but perhaps a better way to get the point across is to say that the distance is equivalent to driving over 7 hours on an interstate.
Might or might not help. I once spend about 7 hours driving on I-95 and made it from D.C. all the way to Richmond.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:27 pm
RandyG wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:47 pm I didn't read the original article, but perhaps a better way to get the point across is to say that the distance is equivalent to driving over 7 hours on an interstate.
Might or might not help. I once spend about 7 hours driving on I-95 and made it from D.C. all the way to Richmond.
A Midwestern friend of mine once told me that only people from the West Coast talked about distances using units of time :mrgreen:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Spoiler for Sunday's NYTimes Crossword... "The better of two sci-fi franchises.”

https://kotaku.com/new-york-times-cross ... 1848495939
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:27 pm
And I've taken 7 hours for a drive that others told me takes 10 hours, so I don't know how duration helps.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:09 pm Spoiler for Sunday's NYTimes Crossword... "The better of two sci-fi franchises.”

https://kotaku.com/new-york-times-cross ... 1848495939
Fantastic