Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett »

My preference is that this thread stays on page one making me use any silly reason to bump it.

USA Today ranks the NFL teams from 1-32 and gives a short comment for each team.

#32 is of course the Miami Dolphins. They are off for Week 5 and the wise crack made me laugh:

"The bye week is favored by 17 1/2 points." :lol:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:37 pm My preference is that this thread stays on page one making me use any silly reason to bump it.

USA Today ranks the NFL teams from 1-32 and gives a short comment for each team.

#32 is of course the Miami Dolphins. They are off for Week 5 and the wise crack made me laugh:

I understood that reference
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:37 pm My preference is that this thread stays on page one making me use any silly reason to bump it.

why doesn't someone just pin this thread?
Volante

Post by Volante »

Volante wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:07 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 pm *crosses fingers* Goin in for PRK in about 2 hours so if I don't show up the next couple days it's because my face will be covered in ice (reportedly)
Good luck! It is an amazing experience (LASIK in my case).
It was, and still is, an experience to be sure. Having brief moments of clarity which is good. Probably won't sink in fully until things are not regularly blurry.

Have caught myself trying to push up my glasses a few times...gonna be hard to completely break -that- 30 year old habit
So, a followup, I had a checkup two weeks ago, and I scored a 20/30 (R) and 20/40 (L) on the Snellen.

Today? 20/20. This was unexpected. The plan was 20/30-35. Doc did their job -too- well :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:45 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:40 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:07 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:59 pm *crosses fingers* Goin in for PRK in about 2 hours so if I don't show up the next couple days it's because my face will be covered in ice (reportedly)
Good luck! It is an amazing experience (LASIK in my case).
It was, and still is, an experience to be sure. Having brief moments of clarity which is good. Probably won't sink in fully until things are not regularly blurry.

Have caught myself trying to push up my glasses a few times...gonna be hard to completely break -that- 30 year old habit
So, a followup, I had a checkup two weeks ago, and I scored a 20/30 (R) and 20/40 (L) on the Snellen.

Today? 20/20. This was unexpected. The plan was 20/30-35. Doc did their job -too- well :lol:
E
XC
ELL
ENT
NEWS
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:03 pm Getting it back on page 1.

Really AZ? You trade Goldschmidt to the Cardinals of all teams? You couldn't have sent that blankin' pita to the AL? At least he's out of the NL West to cut down on the 19 games of opposition a season. Still, anything that makes STL better is a whole lotta bad news.

Certain other boardies with specific avatars will have a different opinion of course.
That was December 5 and my opinion has not changed.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:03 pm Getting it back on page 1.

Really AZ? You trade Goldschmidt to the Cardinals of all teams? You couldn't have sent that blankin' pita to the AL? At least he's out of the NL West to cut down on the 19 games of opposition a season. Still, anything that makes STL better is a whole lotta bad news.

Certain other boardies with specific avatars will have a different opinion of course.
That was December 5 and my opinion has not changed.
Tomahawk Karma...
( https://deadspin.com/braves-give-the-li ... 1838827022 )
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:32 pm Tomahawk Karma...
Although the update is that the Braves did tone it down for Game 5: Braves remove foam tomahawks from stadium

(As the article indicates, though, it remains to be seen whether they'll continue to tone it down next season, when they're not playing teams that include a Native American player.)
Volante

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:13 am
Volante wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:32 pm Tomahawk Karma...
Although the update is that the Braves did tone it down for Game 5: Braves remove foam tomahawks from stadium

(As the article indicates, though, it remains to be seen whether they'll continue to tone it down next season, when they're not playing teams that include a Native American player.)
Oh, that wasn't the karma bit...
https://deadspin.com/braves-fans-perfor ... 1838925053
...defiant Braves fans loudly performing the chop almost immediately after the start of the game.
And then...
https://www.mlb.com/gameday/cardinals-v ... ame=599356
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

As long as we're talkin' baseball ... Nats, Nats, Nats, WOOOOOO!!!!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Have fun with this one, people.

https://www.antipodesmap.com
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

alietr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:14 am As long as we're talkin' baseball ... Nats, Nats, Nats, WOOOOOO!!!!
thought you were an orioles fan?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:59 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:14 am As long as we're talkin' baseball ... Nats, Nats, Nats, WOOOOOO!!!!
thought you were an orioles fan?
I like them, too. They are not mutually exclusive rootings.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Just great. Exactly what I didn't need. The Lions mad going into next week. Thanks zebras. :evil:
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:22 pm Just great. Exactly what I didn't need. The Lions mad going into next week. Thanks zebras. :evil:
those refs are awful...probably cost me the weekly win in the football contest at this pizza joint down here....joe public didn't do well this week and i imagine most had more losses than usual...a lions win would have given me 4 losses this week, which would have been ahead of most...now with 5 will most likely come down to tie breaker
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:22 pm Just great. Exactly what I didn't need. The Lions mad going into next week. Thanks zebras. :evil:
those refs are awful...probably cost me the weekly win in the football contest at this pizza joint down here....joe public didn't do well this week and i imagine most had more losses than usual...a lions win would have given me 4 losses this week, which would have been ahead of most...now with 5 will most likely come down to tie breaker
This is the 6-person group I'm in through the wwtbambored board:

I squeaked out a weekly win with 5 incorrect picks due to slightly better game ranking over someone who only missed four game. Points wise I would have been better off with Detroit winning.

I also run a 25-person family/friends pool where everyone picks all the winners for the whole season before the season starts (it would be nightmare to get that many doing it week by week) and my aunt (let's just say over age 70) won the week with 11 right out of 14 with second best (only 3 others) having 9 right. Yes, tough week for picking.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:50 pm
This is the 6-person group I'm in through the wwtbambored board:

I squeaked out a weekly win with 5 incorrect picks due to slightly better game ranking over someone who only missed four game. Points wise I would have been better off with Detroit winning.

I also run a 25-person family/friends pool where everyone picks all the winners for the whole season before the season starts (it would be nightmare to get that many doing it week by week) and my aunt (let's just say over age 70) won the week with 11 right out of 14 with second best (only 3 others) having 9 right. Yes, tough week for picking.
i do one of those confidence contests on espn...i finished with 69 this week
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 am This is the 6-person group I'm in through the wwtbambored board:

...and you all picked the Cowboys to win...hmph! :twisted:
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

After Game 2, I mentally wrote off the NLCS, which made last night's game easier to handle. The Cardinals' offense has been feast-or-famine for much of the season and NLDS. If you're wondering what on earth they're doing in the NLCS, join the club. On a Cardinals message board I read, in reply to a post of the 25-man roster for the NLCS, one of the verbatim comments is, "I've gotta be honest. I have no clue how this team is in the NLCS."
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:01 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 am This is the 6-person group I'm in through the wwtbambored board:

...and you all picked the Cowboys to win...hmph! :twisted:
8.5 point chalk against a winless team...not that shocking that everyone took them