Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by bpmod »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:There was a noticeable jump in difficulty in the questions between the pre-Christmas pilot episode (the Ohio "Teacher of the Year" and her husband) and Monday night's episode. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Are those two softballs examples of the more difficult?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

PowerofHoodoo wrote:I have a question about the mechanics of the board. I started the Cindy Stowell topic at about 1:54pm on December 8 and my handle was on it to my knowledge until this morning. However, it now has "by Harrumph" with a first posting about 2 hours later.

My authorship is not important; it's just that it's the first time I initiated a topic on this board. Is this just something wonky that happened, or am I not authorized to start a topic?
Back to this, my sincerest apologies to PowerofHoodoo on behalf of whatever gremlin wiped your post. I never did find it. If you remember the general wording and would like it restored, send it to me in a PM and I will put it back in its rightful place.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

PowerofHoodoo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

bpmod wrote:
PowerofHoodoo wrote:I have a question about the mechanics of the board. I started the Cindy Stowell topic at about 1:54pm on December 8 and my handle was on it to my knowledge until this morning. However, it now has "by Harrumph" with a first posting about 2 hours later.

My authorship is not important; it's just that it's the first time I initiated a topic on this board. Is this just something wonky that happened, or am I not authorized to start a topic?
Back to this, my sincerest apologies to PowerofHoodoo on behalf of whatever gremlin wiped your post. I never did find it. If you remember the general wording and would like it restored, send it to me in a PM and I will put it back in its rightful place.

Brian
As I said, it's really not important. It just seemed the thread might seem a little disjointed without the first few posts, but there was enough context from later posts that anyone coming in later would not be at all lost. Thanks for spending the time to research the lost post(s). I didn't save the text anywhere, and it was just an introductory comment on Cindy and a link.
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

PowerofHoodoo wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
As I said, it's really not important. It just seemed the thread might seem a little disjointed without the first few posts, but there was enough context from later posts that anyone coming in later would not be at all lost. Thanks for spending the time to research the lost post(s). I didn't save the text anywhere, and it was just an introductory comment on Cindy and a link.
Here's the missing post, from Google's cache of the thread:
Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Sadly just heard that contestant Cindy Stowell has died before the December 13 air date of her appearance. Brava to her for fulfilling a lifelong dream when she must have been in great pain and for donating her winnings to organizations fighting cancer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeo ... aa037f7db4
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

bpmod wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:There was a noticeable jump in difficulty in the questions between the pre-Christmas pilot episode (the Ohio "Teacher of the Year" and her husband) and Monday night's episode. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.
Are those two softballs examples of the more difficult?

Brian
No, although I don't think the definition of a googol is a slam-dunk for non-triviaphiles. Here are some examples of harder questions:
Spoiler
What is the highest-rated stone on a GIA diamond clarity scale chart?
A. SI1
B. IF
C. FL
D. VS1
Spoiler
Which one of these is a piece of IKEA furniture?
A. Docksta
B. Stutt
C. Visby
D. Sandviken
Spoiler
What is the name of the ghost that is orange at the beginning of the game Pac-Man?
A. Inky
B. Pinky
C. Blinky
D. Clyde
Answers:
Spoiler
C. FL
A. Docksta
D. Clyde
In quasi-related news, I was very nerd-proud to have pre-called the "I'm Too Sexy" and Golden Gate Bridge questions based on the multiple choice answers.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A new show, The Big Fan starts tonight on ABC at 10 with back-to-back episodes. A description of the 10:30 episode:

Host Andy Richter presents a contest in which fans get to put their celebrity knowledge to the test against the celebrities they know so much about; football star Aaron Rodgers joins with special guest Alex Trebek.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:A new show, The Big Fan starts tonight on ABC at 10 with back-to-back episodes. A description of the 10:30 episode:

Host Andy Richter presents a contest in which fans get to put their celebrity knowledge to the test against the celebrities they know so much about; football star Aaron Rodgers joins with special guest Alex Trebek.
Woohoo! Thanks for the heads up. I got my recording scheduled less than 2 hours before it comes on (at 9 central).
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:A new show, The Big Fan starts tonight on ABC at 10 with back-to-back episodes. A description of the 10:30 episode:

Woohoo! Thanks for the heads up. I got my recording scheduled less than 2 hours before it comes on (at 9 central).
This was a cute show. I watched most of it and enjoyed it. Don't seek it out as serious trivia - most of the fun is watching everyone be amazed and uncomfortable about how obsessive the fans are. Aaron Rodgers still has his buzzer mojo and competitiveness.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

boson wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

This was a cute show. I watched most of it and enjoyed it. Don't seek it out as serious trivia - most of the fun is watching everyone be amazed and uncomfortable about how obsessive the fans are. Aaron Rodgers still has his buzzer mojo and competitiveness.
Some pictures from the Aaron Rodgers episode of The Big Fan with Alex Trebek making a guest appearance:
Spoiler

The contestants knew that Kevin O'Leary was the correct answer.

This shows a lot of the spiffy-looking set that must have talented designers at work to create it. The third contestant is not in view and above each of them is a score display.

Alex came out and imitated the "Championship Belt" move the QB uses.

Yes, of course, Alex was prepared with a FJ! clue card.

Because Aaron Rodgers & Andy are both J! champions Alex had a clue to decide the true champ:

The name of this football play can refer to a long pass or a prayer Aaron can mutter if he's attacked by one of today's contestants.

Aaron rang in first to answer correctly, "Hail, Mary."
How the show itself works:
Spoiler
Each of the three contestants is introduced with a short video demonstrating why they are a big fan. They come on stage and get to meet the star.

The star sits in the chair and Andy asks questions with multiple choice answers. The players each lock in their choice. The star gives the answer. After a short first round the low scorer says goodbye and gets a photo with the star on the way out.

Round two has the two remaining contestants answering questions and the winner faces the star head-to-head in the last round. First to ring in and be correct scores a point. The winner gets the golden fan trophy.

Next week looks like it's Kim Kardashian West and Kristen Bell. I will not be doing a summary post. :)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The NYT Crossword for Jan. 16 is Monday easy, but has a J! fill.

47A: Rare occurrence on "Jeopardy!" (11 letters)

Answer:
Spoiler
THREEWAYTIE
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The inauguration of President Trump gave us six living presidents. They are Carter, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama and Trump. This is the fourth time in our history we have had six people who have been president alive at the same time. The first was when Lincoln took office until the death of John Tyler in 1862. The other two times were from when Clinton took office until the death of Richard Nixon in 1994. The longest stretch we went with six alive at once was from the inauguration of George W. Bush until the death of Ronald Reagan in 2004.

This also marks the second time we have had seven living vice-presidents. The previous time lasted from Clinton's swearing-in through Nixon's death.

Given the age and health of Bush41 and Carter, I think it is unlikely either record will be broken soon, provided Trump serves out his full four year term.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:This is, um, interesting ...

http://www.clickhole.com/article/crazy- ... tot-2627#1
Friends of mine in the advertising industry report that they use "interesting" as a purely pejorative adjective. I think that you've employed similar reasoning here.
PowerofHoodoo

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

Woof wrote:

Friends of mine in the advertising industry report that they use "interesting" as a purely pejorative adjective. I think that you've employed similar reasoning here.
I grew up in North Dakota, and "interesting" was only a shade less pejorative than "different."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

... I just figured all boardies knew this, being fans of the show and all. Nothing new in there for me.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:

... I just figured all boardies knew this, being fans of the show and all. Nothing new in there for me.
I thought it was more the Furies than the Fates.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
PowerofHoodoo

Post by PowerofHoodoo »

This is probably a question for Opus:

Mr Hoodoo and I recorded the entire Star Trek 50th anniversary marathon on BBC America and watched "The Gamesters of Triskelion" Friday. The Providers who abduct Kirk, Uhura, and Chekhov pit humanoids from various planets against each other in gladiator style combat. Bets are in quatloos. Is there any reference to quatloos in Bloom County, or do I just remember Boardie Opus using the term?

Parenthetically, I also thought the green-haired alien named Shahna bore a slight resemblance to Lady Gaga.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

PowerofHoodoo wrote:This is probably a question for Opus:

Mr Hoodoo and I recorded the entire Star Trek 50th anniversary marathon on BBC America and watched "The Gamesters of Triskelion" Friday. The Providers who abduct Kirk, Uhura, and Chekhov pit humanoids from various planets against each other in gladiator style combat. Bets are in quatloos. Is there any reference to quatloos in Bloom County, or do I just remember Boardie Opus using the term?
I have used the term on this board, so that may be all there is to it. But it's worth noting that Bloom County had several Star Trek themed comics in which Opus played Mr. Spock aboard Cutter John's wheelchair, the USS Enterpoop. I don't recall quatloos being mentioned, but it's not impossible.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I know there are a lot of Weird Al fans here:

Was ‘Weird Al’ the real star all along?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:I know there are a lot of Weird Al fans here:

Was ‘Weird Al’ the real star all along?
Good read. Thanks alietr!

Brian