Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

9021amyers wrote:Have current events provoked anyone else to drink tonight?
Cubs beat the Pirates again, 7-1 this time! WOO!!! *takes a shot*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Volante wrote:
As little respect that I have for the Republican presidential nominee, I have too much respect for the third of a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon I have on my liquor tray to resort to that type of behavior.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

9021amyers wrote:
Volante wrote:
As little respect that I have for the Republican presidential nominee, I have too much respect for the third of a bottle of Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon I have on my liquor tray to resort to that type of behavior.
There's still hope if you vote Hillary.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Alex Trebek sends best wishes to the citizens of Fort McMurray, who are dealing with an awful wildfire that has destroyed much of the town. (Thankfully, all 88,000 residents have been evacuated and no one has been injured or killed)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/new ... e29906452/

Alex appears to be in Ottawa visiting with PM Justin Trudeau.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

dhkendall wrote:Alex Trebek sends best wishes to the citizens of Fort McMurray, who are dealing with an awful wildfire that has destroyed much of the town. (Thankfully, all 88,000 residents have been evacuated and no one has been injured or killed)

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/new ... e29906452/

Alex appears to be in Ottawa visiting with PM Justin Trudeau.
Trebek just donated $5 million to the university of Ottawa, his alma mater.
https://media.uottawa.ca/news/Trebek-gi ... r-Dialogue

The fort McMurray fire is devastating. Fort McMurray is basically the boom town for the Alberta oil sands, and a lot of it has been destroyed by forest fire. It is an awful situation: a lot of people have been laid off due to slumping oil prices, but bought homes at hugely inflated prices when they were employed, and those homes are now gone. I hope insurance does its job.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

More geography stuff ... this is the relative size of Colorado from the equator to the North Pole using the Mercator Projection. (You can make your own for any state or country at http://www.thetruesize.com)
True Size of Colorado.jpg
True Size of Colorado.jpg (38.17 KiB) Viewed 3460 times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I had to look it up, but once I did, I realized just how sublime this was:
Frazz Farded.gif
Frazz Farded.gif (58.66 KiB) Viewed 3431 times
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Rex Kramer wrote:
boson wrote:
Woof wrote:I noticed just now when catching up on my Sploofus TQOTD that the TQOTD leaderboard currently shows 6 boardies in the top 10. WTG, jboard!
Congrats boardies!

I had an amazing March on sploofus - I had a chance to win the month missing only one question. Then I missed March 31st. Argh. 6th place.
Thank you from #2.

Frivolisaurus Rex
It's been nearly a week now and no one has yet posted that yours truly took the top TQOTD spot for the month of April on Sploofus... and then promptly missed the first question in May. Additional shout-out to Rafferbee (#4), Whoismark (#9), mrexley (#13), Rex Kramer (#27), jkbrat (#32), elendilpickle (#40), and probably a few others.

Thank you, thank you--I'm just gonna catch my breath on this pile of laurels.
In and out of the pool four times
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:I had to look it up, but once I did, I realized just how sublime this was:

I knew fard but had to look up splentid.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
alietr wrote:I had to look it up, but once I did, I realized just how sublime this was:

In my 10th grade algebra class, our instructor, who had the personality of a kindergarten teacher, shocked absolutely everyone by instructing a female member of the class to "quit farding over there." She then calmly explained what it meant. Still one of my favorite math-class moments. :lol:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:

Any luck?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

Any luck?
Not even with the OED. It's wide open for anyone who wants to trademark a non-word.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

reddpen wrote:It's been nearly a week now and no one has yet posted that yours truly took the top TQOTD spot for the month of April on Sploofus... and then promptly missed the first question in May. Additional shout-out to Rafferbee (#4), Whoismark (#9), mrexley (#13), Rex Kramer (#27), jkbrat (#32), elendilpickle (#40), and probably a few others.

Well done!

I was #10.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

reddpen wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:
boson wrote:
Woof wrote:I noticed just now when catching up on my Sploofus TQOTD that the TQOTD leaderboard currently shows 6 boardies in the top 10. WTG, jboard!
Congrats boardies!

I had an amazing March on sploofus - I had a chance to win the month missing only one question. Then I missed March 31st. Argh. 6th place.
Thank you from #2.

Frivolisaurus Rex
It's been nearly a week now and no one has yet posted that yours truly took the top TQOTD spot for the month of April on Sploofus... and then promptly missed the first question in May. Additional shout-out to Rafferbee (#4), Whoismark (#9), mrexley (#13), Rex Kramer (#27), jkbrat (#32), elendilpickle (#40), and probably a few others.

A belated congratulations, Bill. But what am I, chopped liver?? I finished at #26. :D
Volante

Post by Volante »

Radio station was playing Live at the Met (Abduction from the Seraglio) and as I was driving home from errands this part started playing:
http://youtu.be/KpXVy4qsMOA?t=1557

I've probably read that trivia bit before but it's something else to just randomly hear it out of the blue.
(Hint: https://youtu.be/CGufyFt6zQc )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

skullturf wrote:
reddpen wrote:It's been nearly a week now and no one has yet posted that yours truly took the top TQOTD spot for the month of April on Sploofus... and then promptly missed the first question in May. Additional shout-out to Rafferbee (#4), Whoismark (#9), mrexley (#13), Rex Kramer (#27), jkbrat (#32), elendilpickle (#40), and probably a few others.

Well done!

I was #10.
Woof wrote:A belated congratulations, Bill. But what am I, chopped liver?? I finished at #26. :D
Re the bold I added above, there's two already--congrats to both of you. Anyone else?
57 OSC
62 hbomb
68 BobJuch
In and out of the pool four times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For those with an astronomical bent (though that sounds like a Romanian gymnast), live coverage of the transit of Mercury can be seen here:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/liv ... event-live
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote:For those with an astronomical bent (though that sounds like a Romanian gymnast), live coverage of the transit of Mercury can be seen here:

If you are up for a challenge, and you have access to a solar telescope and live in a specific region, you might be able to see mercury and the international space station pass in front of the Sun at the same time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/astrophotograp ... /?sort=top
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote:
alietr wrote:For those with an astronomical bent (though that sounds like a Romanian gymnast), live coverage of the transit of Mercury can be seen here:

If you are up for a challenge, and you have access to a solar telescope and live in a specific region, you might be able to see mercury and the international space station pass in front of the Sun at the same time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/astrophotograp ... /?sort=top
That's going to make for an incredible picture by somebody.
Volante

Post by Volante »

LA Metro is scheduled to open Phase 2 of the Expo Line on the 20th. End of the line is Downtown Santa Monica, a 30 minute walk from O'Briens. I might finally get my keister over there depending how late they run...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/401+Col ... ,+CA+90405