Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

Ironhorse wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:22 pm drink drinks
record records
saw saws
wash washes (you know, to give those dry riverbeds that extra shine)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

If you can butt heads, can you butt butts?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

dinghammer wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:42 pm If you can butt heads, can you butt butts?
This sounds like a question you'd find in Tina Belcher's diary.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Thanks, all. These are great, especially Stefan's. And thanks for the education, my fine feathered friend.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

What's the last day of the season again?
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

alietr wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:09 pm What's the last day of the season again?
July 27th?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Why does the horror genre exist? Who wants to voluntarily feel a negative emotion (fear)?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm Why does the horror genre exist? Who wants to voluntarily feel a negative emotion (fear)?
Why does sad music exist? Why does spicy food exist? Why does the TPH education thread exist?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

trainman wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:07 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:43 pm Why does the horror genre exist? Who wants to voluntarily feel a negative emotion (fear)?
Why does sad music exist? Why does spicy food exist? Why does the TPH education thread exist?

1. Because emo people exist. I don't get why angry music exists, personally. Doesn't that just make you angrier? Isn't that like poking the bear?

2. Because I have a stomach of iron.

3. You know how some people say they have a mind like a steel trap? Mine's more like a plastic pail and shovel.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 am I don't get why angry music exists, personally. Doesn't that just make you angrier? Isn't that like poking the bear?
I was able to end one of the worst nights of my life because I had angry music to listen to; I couldn't fall asleep because of intrusive violent thoughts, but angry music put the violence outside of my mind.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:16 am I don't get why angry music exists, personally. Doesn't that just make you angrier? Isn't that like poking the bear?
I was able to end one of the worst nights of my life because I had angry music to listen to; I couldn't fall asleep because of intrusive violent thoughts, but angry music put the violence outside of my mind.
Wouldn't that just aggravate it, and feed the fuel of the violent thoughts until you actually feel charged up enough to follow through on them?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:01 am
Wouldn't that just aggravate it, and feed the fuel of the violent thoughts until you actually feel charged up enough to follow through on them?
I already told you exactly what happened.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:15 am
I was murderously angry on a closing shift where everything seemed to be going wrong. A coworker was playing angry music, and all it made me do was scream bloody murder at my closing manager, punch a freezer so hard that the door bent, and nearly do the same thing to the manager herself. I was literally trembling with anger by the time I got home, because the music was just fueling my violent thoughts and making me want to actually carry them out.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:15 pm
seaborgium wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:15 am
I was murderously angry on a closing shift where everything seemed to be going wrong. A coworker was playing angry music, and all it made me do was scream bloody murder at my closing manager, punch a freezer so hard that the door bent, and nearly do the same thing to the manager herself. I was literally trembling with anger by the time I got home, because the music was just fueling my violent thoughts and making me want to actually carry them out.
Well, that music was surrounded by (other) things that were setting you off. In my situation, I tried to calm myself down with gentler music, and I described it later to a friend as being like a blank canvas that my mind splashed red paint on. But the angry music made the violence external to my brain.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 am Well, that music was surrounded by (other) things that were setting you off. In my situation, I tried to calm myself down with gentler music, and I described it later to a friend as being like a blank canvas that my mind splashed red paint on. But the angry music made the violence external to my brain.
Then I must be wired differently, because literally the only way I know to channel my violence is to chimp out.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Just to bump this off of (almost ) page 3, I thought I'd lament about how horrible my Mets are this year.

Jacob deGrom is probably 1B to Max Scherzer's 1A for the best pitcher in the NL right now. In last night's game against ATL, the Braves moved to 5-0 this year against the Mets when de Grom starts. DeGrom has a 1.09 ERA in those games (there have been no unearned runs by him in any of those 5 games).

And to rub it in even more, deGrom has six games this season of at least eight IP and two ER or fewer. No one else has more than four. In those starts, deGrom is 1-3 with two no-decisions. All others in such games? 73-9 (18 NDs).

Right now he is on track to be the only pitcher in MLB history to have 200 IP, 200K, a sub-2.00 ERA and a losing record.

Damn, we suck.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:34 pm Just to bump this off of (almost ) page 3, I thought I'd lament about how horrible my Mets are this year.

Jacob deGrom is probably 1B to Max Scherzer's 1A for the best pitcher in the NL right now. In last night's game against ATL, the Braves moved to 5-0 this year against the Mets when de Grom starts. DeGrom has a 1.09 ERA in those games (there have been no unearned runs by him in any of those 5 games).

And to rub it in even more, deGrom has six games this season of at least eight IP and two ER or fewer. No one else has more than four. In those starts, deGrom is 1-3 with two no-decisions. All others in such games? 73-9 (18 NDs).

Right now he is on track to be the only pitcher in MLB history to have 200 IP, 200K, a sub-2.00 ERA and a losing record.
Oh, your Mets. So you're to blame.

Here's another fun fact. deGrom has a WAR (wins above replacement) of 6.7, tied for the highest in baseball among pitchers, yet has only 5 wins. How is that even possible? (Yes, I know it's all based on some complicated formula, so it's frequently counter-intuitive.)

econgator wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:34 pm Damn, we suck.
Get used to it. The outlook for the next few years look even more dreadful. Nothing will change as long as (1) the Wilpons own the team and (2) enough people with (apparently) scads of money to burn buy tickets and $10 beer and $6 hot dogs. If a NY baseball fan wants to watch minor league baseball, go to Coney Island to see the Cyclones. Personally, I resent the 52 cents that trickles down to the team from my MLB TV subscription.

I'm rooting for deGrom to demand and get a trade after the season. That, or a contract extension at some ungodly number, which no way will happen under the Wilpons.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:01 pm Here's another fun fact. deGrom has a WAR (wins above replacement) of 6.7, tied for the highest in baseball among pitchers, yet has only 5 wins. How is that even possible? (Yes, I know it's all based on some complicated formula, so it's frequently counter-intuitive.)
I was going to mention that, too, but forgot.

This aside, I am one of those who finds WAR to be an utterly useless stat.
Get used to it. The outlook for the next few years look even more dreadful. Nothing will change as long as (1) the Wilpons own the team and (2) enough people with (apparently) scads of money to burn buy tickets and $10 beer and $6 hot dogs. If a NY baseball fan wants to watch minor league baseball, go to Coney Island to see the Cyclones. Personally, I resent the 52 cents that trickles down to the team from my MLB TV subscription.

I'm rooting for deGrom to demand and get a trade after the season. That, or a contract extension at some ungodly number, which no way will happen under the Wilpons.
Mostly 1), but yeah.

I would hate to lose deGrom and Thor, but they need to go somewhere that they can actually live up to their potential.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:59 pm
RandyG wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:01 pm Here's another fun fact. deGrom has a WAR (wins above replacement) of 6.7, tied for the highest in baseball among pitchers, yet has only 5 wins. How is that even possible? (Yes, I know it's all based on some complicated formula, so it's frequently counter-intuitive.)
I was going to mention that, too, but forgot.

This aside, I am one of those who finds WAR to be an utterly useless stat.
Less useless than wins or RBI...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

At least you Mets fans can get free therapy sessions, if that means anything.

I agree that it's way past time for the Mets to strip everything and start again like most of the bottom-feeders in the A.L. have recently. Crazy how quickly the Mets and Royals got so bad so soon after the '15 WS.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host