Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante »

The Google has failed me so far with this...

Short backstory, at work, one of the employees had their cubicle decorated for their birthday a month and a half ago. The helium foil balloons are still up, though one has died, the other is still floating tall.

I also know that you can put tape on a balloon and puncture it with a needle and that balloon won't pop.

So, what I've been trying to determine is, could you use a small gauge hypodermic needle/syringe, tape, patience and a donor balloon and refill a dead/dying helium balloon? Or is there something stupid obvious I've been overlooking? I'm sure some helium would be lost, but I can't imagine it'd be anywhere near a deal breaker amount.

(Ignore, as well, the fact that balloons aren't goldfish: that they -could- be replaced with no one knowing the difference.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Comment about baseball
Spoiler
“I know Kershaw isn’t pitching,” Nationals manager Dusty Baker said. “Thank God.” Sympathies to alietr. That's a haunting tough one to lose.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote:Comment about baseball
Spoiler
“I know Kershaw isn’t pitching,” Nationals manager Dusty Baker said. “Thank God.” Sympathies to alietr. That's a haunting tough one to lose.
I'm not sure this needs to be spoilered, but yeah, that was a tough, tough night. Especially how long it was. Way past my bedtime. And patience level with having to stand most of the game. Worst. Green light. Ever. I have no clue what Henley was thinking. And I really was questioning a lot of Dusty's moves. I've liked Dusty all year (especially compared to Matt Williams), but he had me scratching my head constantly after lifting Scherzer (which was premature in and of itself; the guy will keep fighting). He should have just kept throwing lefties at them and kept them in there. Damn sad way to end a good season.

Thanks for the sympathy, you have mine as well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Joe Blanton needs to do two things:

1. Retire
2. Perform an impossible act

and as always Joe Buck can shut his biased yap
AleBelly
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by AleBelly »

This is vintage Cubs. Set us fans up by putting us on the brink of the World Series. Then?....

The heartbreak is more painful this way.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

AleBelly wrote:This is vintage Cubs. Set us fans up by putting us on the brink of the World Series. Then?....

The Cubs just have to survive 1 more win and 2 more days of Bartman narratives
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

nightreign wrote:
AleBelly wrote:This is vintage Cubs. Set us fans up by putting us on the brink of the World Series. Then?....

Only two days?...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:
nightreign wrote:

Only two days?...
Bartman was an NLCS thing, so two days is right.

Then we can hear about the Curse of the Billy Goat until they win a game at Wrigley. :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

I'll take "No Duh" for $400, Alex

Post by dhkendall »

An article that talks about Alex's nerdcore diss has some interesting stats about typical J! viewers. (Some boxes I tick, some I don't)

https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/10/2 ... are-nerds/
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A great way for me to get my second miss of the month on Sploofus:

Who preceded Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero as Prime Minister of Spain?

My 1/5 stab in the dark did not work to come up with Jose Maria Aznar. (My gift to anyone who gets this Q at some point)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MarkBarrett wrote:A great way for me to get my second miss of the month on Sploofus:

My 1/5 stab in the dark did not work to come up with Jose Maria Aznar. (My gift to anyone who gets this Q at some point)
Crud! That's a tough one. I've been rooting for you and Econ this month. I put myself in an early hole with three misses in the first week, but have clawing my way back. My goal at this point is to make the first page by months end.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:A great way for me to get my second miss of the month on Sploofus:

Crud! That's a tough one. I've been rooting for you and Econ this month. I put myself in an early hole with three misses in the first week, but have clawing my way back. My goal at this point is to make the first page by months end.
Still hanging on to 1st, thanks to a couple of lucky guesses (Thursday's was, "Which of these Steely Dan albums came out in 1974?" Really?). Today's was a "which sentence is grammatically correct" type, so I had to take the time to read them all.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:(Thursday's was, "Which of these Steely Dan albums came out in 1974?" Really?)
Even though that is one of my strong suits, I doubt I'd have gotten it correct. Or, at the very least, wouldn't have been confident in my response. What were the choices?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:. What were the choices?

Brian
They basically released 6 albums, 1 per year, from 72-77 and listed 5 of the below 6 (I forget which one wasn't listed):

Aja
Can't Buy a Thrill
Countdown to Ecstasy
Katy Lied
Pretzel Logic
The Royal Scam
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:

Brian
They basically released 6 albums, 1 per year, from 72-77 and listed 5 of the below 6 (I forget which one wasn't listed):

Aja
Can't Buy a Thrill
Countdown to Ecstasy
Katy Lied
Pretzel Logic
The Royal Scam
If you had said "Quick! Name every Steely Dan album you can think of!", I would have been able to give you Can't Buy A Thrill and Aja immediately. Those were the two that I was trying to choose between when I made my earlier comment. Of course, seeing them listed, I recognize every title, but I don't think I am any closer to confidently proclaiming an answer. I think my guess would (still) be Can't Buy A Thrill. I am reasonably certain Aja is way too late.

EDIT: After looking it up, I realize that if I had been able to name the album upon which was Rikki Don't Lose That Number, I'da come up with it.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

econgator wrote:

Brian

Aja
Can't Buy a Thrill
Countdown to Ecstasy
Katy Lied
Pretzel Logic
The Royal Scam
Hmmm... I can easily eliminate Aja (that was released in '77 or '78) and Can't Buy a Thrill (first album, so '72). From there, it would be a guess for me. For no good reason, I'd probably have chosen The Royal Scam.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote:
econgator wrote:

Brian

Aja
Can't Buy a Thrill
Countdown to Ecstasy
Katy Lied
Pretzel Logic
The Royal Scam
Hmmm... I can easily eliminate Aja (that was released in '77 or '78) and Can't Buy a Thrill (first album, so '72). From there, it would be a guess for me. For no good reason, I'd probably have chosen The Royal Scam.
And been wrong. ;)

I couldn't pin any of them, so I joking thought, "It'll take some sort of pretzel logic to figure it out, so .....".
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Note to self: Acquire the complete works of Steely Dan. The sooner, the better.

Brian

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Just. Can't. Escape.
TPH Car.jpg
TPH Car.jpg (106.99 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:Just. Can't. Escape.