Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by clprez »

Reminds me of this exchange

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm finally remembering to post about the latest Google Doodle being a fun one: https://www.google.com/doodles/celebrat ... 245th-year

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed the musical puzzle.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lots of boardies on page 1 for Sploofus: http://sploofus.com/leaders.sp?l=5

I hit a 1568 tonight for conveniently happening to have the cursor right on the dot where the author of The Giving Tree was to just miss going by DHK. As Annie likes to sing...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Wednesday NYT crossword puzzle had a name I did not recognize in Paul Dirac. Curious if he ever appeared in a J! clue I checked the archive and found 2 hits:

#5492, aired 2008-06-24 "P" IN SCIENCE $1600: The antielectron predicted by Paul Dirac in 1928 was found by Carl Anderson in 1932 & named this
#3230, aired 1998-09-25 1930S SCIENCE $500: The antielectron predicted by Paul Dirac in 1930 was found by Carl Anderson in 1932 & named this

The clues were exactly the same other than the one in 2008 changing 1930 to 2 years earlier. In both games a contestant was correct with positron.

The 2008 game was Gnash #2 and it's hard to believe it's already been 7.5 years since he appeared.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

From an article in The Washington Post about George Pataki withdrawing from the presidential race:

Pataki has not held office since 2006, and his name recognition has eroded sharply since then; when “Jeopardy!” contestants were shown his picture earlier this year, none of them could supply his name. The key moments of Pataki’s political biography were even further in the past: the trying days after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, the stupendous defeat of Cuomo in 1994.

It was this game: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4776
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

During J! today was a commercial for Concussion.
Voice over speaker, perhaps quoting a review, though I can't find one yet, called it a 'feel good' movie.

Hey, copywriter person... Phrasing!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote:Voice over speaker, perhaps quoting a review, though I can't find one yet, called it a 'feel good' movie.

Is this the first time you've ever encountered the phrase "feel-good movie"? (Note the hyphen, which is how the term is properly written.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote:
Volante wrote:Voice over speaker, perhaps quoting a review, though I can't find one yet, called it a 'feel good' movie.

Is this the first time you've ever encountered the phrase "feel-good movie"? (Note the hyphen, which is how the term is properly written.)
For a movie called Concussion?!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

City breakin down on a camel's back...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Wednesday NYT crossword puzzle had a name I did not recognize in Paul Dirac.
That was the name in that puzzle you didn't recognize? #51across

http://rexwordpuzzle.blogspot.com/2015/ ... ed-in.html
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Well, I guess it's still a chance ....

Indianapolis clinches AFC South division with:
1. IND win
2. HOU loss
3. ATL win
4. BAL win
5. BUF win
6. DEN win
7. MIA win
8. OAK win or tie
9. PIT win or tie (as long as OAK and PIT both don't tie)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:Well, I guess it's still a chance ....

1. IND win
2. HOU loss
3. ATL win
4. BAL win
5. BUF win
6. DEN win
7. MIA win
8. OAK win or tie
Well, the Colts do have a horseshoe. I like all the possible results for the Broncos being a 1, 2, 3, 5 or 6.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:

1. IND win
2. HOU loss
3. ATL win
4. BAL win
5. BUF win
6. DEN win
7. MIA win
8. OAK win or tie
Well, the Colts do have a horseshoe. I like all the possible results for the Broncos being a 1, 2, 3, 5 or 6.
Had the Steelers not lost last week, the Broncos could have been in a position to get 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, or miss the playoffs entirely. A New England loss in the 1:00 session would have meant that the Broncos could claim the #1 seed with a win, but with a loss would potentially fall completely out.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

jeff6286 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:

1. IND win
2. HOU loss
3. ATL win
4. BAL win
5. BUF win
6. DEN win
7. MIA win
8. OAK win or tie
Had the Steelers not lost last week, the Broncos could have been in a position to get 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, or miss the playoffs entirely. A New England loss in the 1:00 session would have meant that the Broncos could claim the #1 seed with a win, but with a loss would potentially fall completely out.
Meanwhile, in tonight's Minnesota-Green Bay game, the winner is the NFC North champion, and the loser is a wild card. If the Packers beat the Vikings, they will both meet again at Lambeau Field next weekend; if the Packers lose, they go to Washington, and the Vikings host Seattle. Both teams have incentive to lose this game.

If this game ends in a tie, Minnesota plays Washington, and the Packers host the Seahawks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

9021amyers wrote: Meanwhile, in tonight's Minnesota-Green Bay game, the winner is the NFC North champion, and the loser is a wild card. If the Packers beat the Vikings, they will both meet again at Lambeau Field next weekend; if the Packers lose, they go to Washington, and the Vikings host Seattle. Both teams have incentive to lose this game.

If this game ends in a tie, Minnesota plays Washington, and the Packers host the Seahawks.
I have never had such conflicted feelings about a Vikings victory over the Packers. The Vikings won the division and host a playoff game, but it's the Seahawks. Week 13 - Seahawks 38, Vikings 7 in Minneapolis.

The Packers lost and hit the road, but they play the Redskins.

I'm not sure how happy I should be and I'll have to wait until the weekend to find out. It's easy to imagine the Packers beating the Redskins and staying alive for a rematch in Glendale from Week 16 while the Vikings get bounced.

And the ultimate dream turning to nightmare would be Vikings over Hawks, Redskins over Packers, Vikings over Cards, Redskins over Panthers and Redskins over Vikings. The Vikings are not good enough to win the Super Bowl, so I know the purple pain is coming sooner than later.

It will be green pain if the Packers' road (by losing tonight) through the NFC gets them to the Super Bowl.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

My high school classmate Veronique Blostein will be on Wheel of Fortune on the 6th (this Wednesday). I wonder how Pat will pronounce her first name, or if there's a jinx for correcting him. Her time for audition-callback-The Call was only about two months. She was on my academic teams in high school, so I hope she takes the online test and someday gets on Jeopardy.
I rarely ever watch Wheel and wanted to see if there was information on this week's contestants on their site or one of the boards. All I saw was that they taped this week's episodes on December 3.
Hoping for a third lap
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MarkBarrett wrote:...And the ultimate dream turning to nightmare would be Vikings over Hawks, Redskins over Packers, Vikings over Cards, Redskins over Panthers and Redskins over Vikings. The Vikings are not good enough to win the Super Bowl, so I know the purple pain is coming sooner than later....
As a Washington fan, I wish it could be so. But just six weeks ago it was CAR 44 - WAS 16, so it ain't happening.
OCSam
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I'm watching a Cavs-Wolves basketball game at the gym, and it has reminded me of one of those facts I can't wrap my head around. Kevin Love (Cavs forward) is the son of ex-NBA player Stan Love, who is the brother of Mike Love of the Beach Boys. That means Kevin Love is Brian Wilson's cousin, which I just think is too weird.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

My favorite odd "celebrity" familial relationship tidbit (if you can call these people celebrities) is that noted sidekick Andy Richter and noted alternative cartoonist Tony Millionaire are brothers-in-law. (Their wives are actresses/sisters Sarah Thyre and Becky Thyre, respectively.)