Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:46 am 2011 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Winner Raynell Cooper on "It's Academic"
That's a nice find. I was with Raynell a few weeks ago, and I used to work with Mac McGarry's daughter, so I got to meet him a few times. Great guy who is missed.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:05 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:29 pm The Archivists should get ready to add a new link in the player pages of Brad Rutter, Alan Bailey, and Ethan Brosowsky next week.
Is there something unusual I need to set my DVR to see? Millionaire is in reruns, so it can't be that show. It can't be J! as former players being shown in the audience does not get a new line in a J! bio. Common Knowledge does not start until next week. America Says with the fourth person not a J! alum? No way Brad would stoop to TPIR or WOF. Million Dollar Mind Game coming back? :)

No surprise. It was not The Titan Games.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Good! That's what the Bears get for playing their butts off to eliminate the Vikings last week in a meaningless game for Chicago. Da Bears were so hot to trot to bring the Eagles to their house? Well, the guests rudely eliminated them. :lol: Double doink off the upright and the crossbar. Kickers stink.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:53 pm Good! That's what the Bears get for playing their butts off to eliminate the Vikings last week in a meaningless game for Chicago. Da Bears were so hot to trot to bring the Eagles to their house? Well, the guests rudely eliminated them. :lol: Double doink off the upright and the crossbar. Kickers stink.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Carpe Diem wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:45 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:53 pm Good! That's what the Bears get for playing their butts off to eliminate the Vikings last week in a meaningless game for Chicago. Da Bears were so hot to trot to bring the Eagles to their house? Well, the guests rudely eliminated them. :lol: Double doink off the upright and the crossbar. Kickers stink.
https://twitter.com/Deadspin/status/1082082213141889029
What is it with Chicago mascots and their aversion to pants?...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Who would have thought I'd get spoiled clicking on an innocent Jboard thread? :lol: . All day I carefully avoided the media to pile up DVD games and enjoy my popcorn Sunday night. No harm done, I quit reading when I saw "Bears" ;) .

I hate to see any game decided by a mistake, or by a field goal either for that matter. On the other hand, I love it when bad coaching costs teams victories. None of the teams on Sunday seemed to want to win with the pitiful game plans they came out with. I loved Tony Romo's comment that it was hard to do game analysis on all the 2 yard runs. At least the Bears/Eagles decided to play in the 4th quarter.

Yah, I have been rooting for the Vikes because I need bigger and bigger fixes of disappointment as a lifelong Chiefs fan. I'm not a fan of smashmouth football (see Tony Romo comment), so glad to see the Bears one and done. But they done right by putting up resistance to make the Vikes earn a chance to fail in week 18.

Now to retire to my Bob Sutton voodoo doll. It's been nice watching well coached defenses this weekend. Andrew Luck is going to put up 60 on Chiefs D but Mahomes should shred them for 59.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Even my wife, whose family is rife with Eagles fans, expressed the opinion that the game would have been better had the Eagles' 2-point attempt been ruled to have scored and then the Bears didn't miss the FG. As an aside, those who poo-poo the concept of "icing" the kicker may have to rethink that position.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Woof wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 pm Even my wife, whose family is rife with Eagles fans, expressed the opinion that the game would have been better had the Eagles' 2-point attempt been ruled to have scored and then the Bears didn't miss the FG. As an aside, those who poo-poo the concept of "icing" the kicker may have to rethink that position.
Mike Shanahan is one -- during one of his seasons with the Broncos, they had four games in a seven-game stretch that had an opposing team try for a game-tying or go-ahead field goal in the final two minutes. In the first two of the four, he tried to "ice" the kicker, calling time out on a kick which was either blocked or missed, and the kicker made the second attempt. In the third "icing" attempt, the kicker made both kicks. In the fourth game, it was another "miss the timeout kick and make the second attempt." After that stretch, Shanahan said he was swearing off the concept.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Woof wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 pm Even my wife, whose family is rife with Eagles fans, expressed the opinion that the game would have been better had the Eagles' 2-point attempt been ruled to have scored and then the Bears didn't miss the FG. As an aside, those who poo-poo the concept of "icing" the kicker may have to rethink that position.
No. It's still a stupid idea. It's as likely to backfire as to work, in the best case it's unpredictable, and it gets less and less useful as the field gets shorter and shorter. That it by pure chance happened to work out last night changes none of that.

Meanwhile, if the kick ultimately does succeed, you've just wasted a timeout that might be very useful if there's still some time left.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Euphonium wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:37 pm
No. It's still a stupid idea. It's as likely to backfire as to work, in the best case it's unpredictable, and it gets less and less useful as the field gets shorter and shorter. That it by pure chance happened to work out last night changes none of that.

Meanwhile, if the kick ultimately does succeed, you've just wasted a timeout that might be very useful if there's still some time left.
There's also video evidence the ball was tipped.

Now...whether or not that tip was enough to turn a goal into a double doink (keeping in mind the kick wasn't that good to begin with, per a former NFL punter: https://deadspin.com/1831533589 ), I'll leave that for the Monday morning physicists.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 pm As an aside, those who poo-poo the concept of "icing" the kicker may have to rethink that position.
I, too, am on the side of "stupid idea". Especially, as Euphonium mentioned, as there would still be time on the clock and you might really need that time out to try and score again.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:01 pm
Woof wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:34 pm As an aside, those who poo-poo the concept of "icing" the kicker may have to rethink that position.
I, too, am on the side of "stupid idea". Especially, as Euphonium mentioned, as there would still be time on the clock and you might really need that time out to try and score again.
This is one of the things I hope the NFL eliminates, or restricts when the coach can declare for it. Timeouts shouldn't be allowed to use as ambushes or spoilers. It's just a little petty thing they do so they won't get second guessed by the media. If they call timeout after the center grips the ball, the kick should count if it's good, and a mulligan if it isn't. I've no problem with the "icing" concept if they just call it before the FG unit is set.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:39 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:01 pm
This is one of the things I hope the NFL eliminates, or restricts when the coach can declare for it. Timeouts shouldn't be allowed to use as ambushes or spoilers. It's just a little petty thing they do so they won't get second guessed by the media. If they call timeout after the center grips the ball, the kick should count if it's good, and a mulligan if it isn't. I've no problem with the "icing" concept if they just call it before the FG unit is set.
Seems to me if you really want to throw off the kicker, stand by the ref with your hand just about to cross the "T" to call it, but never do. Every kicker expects it to be called now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Add me to those who think the last possible moment timeouts are stupid.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This is the sort of thing I enjoyed and some of you might as well:

Information is Beautiful Awards 2018: The Winners
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Tomorrow's J! will have a first, I believe - The first MMA fighter to be a contestant.

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/David-Kaplan-13848

I can't tell if it's the same guy or not, but that pic must be around a decade old since his last recorded fight was from 2010.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:47 pm Tomorrow's J! will have a first, I believe - The first MMA fighter to be a contestant.

https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/David-Kaplan-13848

I can't tell if it's the same guy or not, but that pic must be around a decade old since his last recorded fight was from 2010.
Hope the champ (don't name that person in this thread) goes easy on him as he may be a little soft with a glass jaw:

Just kidding and no I would not say that to his face.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Life With Trebek.png
Life With Trebek.png (291.84 KiB) Viewed 4299 times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Austin Rogers game 9 reran this weekend.

CHEMISTRY, $400: Gallium turns to liquid slightly above this temperature sometimes given as 72 degrees Fahrenheit

The correct response was "room temperature" (it was a stand and stare), but I suddenly imagined that they couldn't really neg someone for saying "22 and 2/9 degrees Celsius" or some other direct conversion rather than the term for the temperature. I think the wording allows wiggle room for various alternative responses. For example, 22°C is lower than 72°F, but close enough to it to be rounded up, so one could argue that 22°C is indeed "sometimes given" as 72°F. If a contestant named any temperature from another scale that converted to at least 71.5°F and less than 72.5°F, I imagine they'd have to take it, since the melting point of gallium isn't so "slightly above" room temperature to preclude any of those numbers.

(I post here because it seemed better to bump a catch-all thread than a game thread from 2017.)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:37 am Austin Rogers game 9 reran this weekend.

CHEMISTRY, $400: Gallium turns to liquid slightly above this temperature sometimes given as 72 degrees Fahrenheit

The correct response was "room temperature" (it was a stand and stare), but I suddenly imagined that they couldn't really neg someone for saying "22 and 2/9 degrees Celsius" or some other direct conversion rather than the term for the temperature. I think the wording allows wiggle room for various alternative responses. For example, 22°C is lower than 72°F, but close enough to it to be rounded up, so one could argue that 22°C is indeed "sometimes given" as 72°F. If a contestant named any temperature from another scale that converted to at least 71.5°F and less than 72.5°F, I imagine they'd have to take it, since the melting point of gallium isn't so "slightly above" room temperature to preclude any of those numbers.

(I post here because it seemed better to bump a catch-all thread than a game thread from 2017.)
Posting out of destiny - I just showed off my vial of Gallium to some new co-workers by thawing it out in my coffee so we could play with the liquid globules. It's the liquid mercury for the snowflake generation, lol.. Now, there's Gallium stains everywhere from the vapor pressure. Which is why my wife made me take it to work :lol: .

Certainly any answer in Celsius equivalent ought to work. I wonder if "STP" would also go, which is 20 C (68F). Probably not, as it doesn't fit the last part, but supposedly it is supposed to be "room" temperature. Note - this is ignorant and uninformed information, "STP" is now (since 1982) at 0 C. I'm not sure I need to re-learn this, since it hasn't come up in 40 years in my technical sphere.

I think the Ga message destiny was to share with boardies that old STP is now NTP, and the new STP isn't at sea level, or 20 C. So all your ideal gas calculations are screwed :lol:
Spoiler
STP is set by the IUPAC as 0°C and 100 kPa or 1 bar. Many old books and online sources say that standard pressure is 101.325 kPa (the old IUPAC standard that was changed in 1982), but I defer to the current IUPAC standard of 100 kPa. NTP is set at 101.325 kPa but uses 20°C as the temperature.