Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Budphrey »

Julia Collins and Colby Burnett were featured guests today on a special Jeopardy!-themed episode of Windy City Live, a midday happy-talk show on the Chicago channel that shows J!. Nothing startling in what they said, but they represented the enterprise pretty well and it's fun to see them on TV again.

Jimmy and Kelly from the Clue Crew were there to lead a mock game involving the three co-anchors, who as you might guess made a hash of it, but evidently had fun.

One highly relevant gimmick was that they announced the name of a future contestant who was in the audience (Andrew Anderson, a teacher at Highland Park, IL, High School). My guess is that they had a number of people in the audience who had been in the tryouts; otherwise there wouldn't be any suspense. He seemed genuinely surprised and in fact adrenaline-pumped.

Here's a page with some video excerpts; I haven't yet watched the Web videos so I don't know how much of the hourlong TV show made this particular cut.

http://www.windycitylive.com/episodes/J ... ve/9547898
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Now THIS debate I would have watched ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufGlBv8Z3NU
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

My daughter asked me the other day "so, what's to stop someone from going on the show, deliberately not answering any questions, so they can win $1000?" I honestly had no answer. (But then y'all know my thoughts about second and third prizes anyways)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:My daughter asked me the other day "so, what's to stop someone from going on the show, deliberately not answering any questions, so they can win $1000?" I honestly had no answer. (But then y'all know my thoughts about second and third prizes anyways)
The fact that you can get more by doing more than that, and that you'd still get the $1,000 if that effort failed, should be motivation enough.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:My daughter asked me the other day "so, what's to stop someone from going on the show, deliberately not answering any questions, so they can win $1000?" I honestly had no answer. (But then y'all know my thoughts about second and third prizes anyways)
I don't know but I hope he is on the same episode as me.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Why would you go through all the trouble of the online test, auditioning, etc. just to do nothing in the game? Plus, if you're not playing the game, you're missing out on all the fun!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

nightreign wrote:
That's what I eventually countered with
Why would you go through all the trouble of the online test, auditioning, etc. just to do nothing in the game? Plus, if you're not playing the game, you're missing out on all the fun!
That's what I eventually countered with. I thought about seaborgium's answer too, the same excuse could have been used for the ring buyer in the Fleming days.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Take out a round trip ticket YWG-LAX, a couple of nights of room and board and taxes and not much is left.

You can also go all-out Herman Edwards on her: "You play to win the game!"
OCSam
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

There's also the evidence of the past, oh, five decades or so. This is a risk that the Jeopardy! producers assumed from the start. Whether because of the contestant selection process or human nature itself, it just plain hasn't been an issue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I really don't see the strategy in doing that. Thee is no risk of doing worse. Unlike the old version, stopping at a certain point does not mean you keep the money.

Strangely, I was thinking the other day what would happen if someone got on and deliberately rang in and gave joke answers, hoping to become famous as the worst player ever with the worst score and hoping to break into show business.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:Strangely, I was thinking the other day what would happen if someone got on and deliberately rang in and gave joke answers, hoping to become famous as the worst player ever with the worst score and hoping to break into show business.
That's probably a more likely scenario, as the person would still receive the $1000 for third place.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

I suspect there would be at least some influence of the whole "You'll never work in this town again!" in that scenario. I don't know how much influence the J! producers really have in the rest of Hollywood, but I suspect it's at least greater than zero.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Say it ain't so!
Flightless Fowl.png
Flightless Fowl.png (25.23 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote:Say it ain't so!
Flightless Fowl.png
Now just calm down. I'm sure there's a reasonable explanation for this.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Flightless Fowl.png
Yes. I am sure that Opus plays Bridge or Euchre or something.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Flightless Fowl.png
Accidentally fermented herring?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Budphrey wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Flightless Fowl.png
Accidentally fermented herring?
Is that a Warren Zevon song?
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

bpmod wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Flightless Fowl.png
Yes. I am sure that Opus plays Bridge or Euchre or something.

Brian
*slow clap*
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Thursday Aug. 27 NYT crossword puzzle is by Joon Pahk. Always nice to see a boardie getting published.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Thursday Aug. 27 NYT crossword puzzle is by Joon Pahk. Always nice to see a boardie getting published.
I came up with another example:
Spoiler
KJLoser
but he didn't seem to think that would be widely enough known.

And two others:
Spoiler
DCComics and MLKing