Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by IronNeck » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:06 am

I'm impressed with how people on this board reacted to the news. Most decided this wasn't the place to discuss it. The ones registering disappointment were respectful. Some pointed out interesting trivia factoids. Suffice to say everyone behaved just slightly better than a certain former super-champion who has posted on here before;

https://twitter.com/Ash_Effect/status/7 ... 7384722432

Image

I'm just curious; does this mean he was playing under tremendous duress when he was competing against those horrible white people Julia Collins and Ben Ingram in the ToC, all hosted by that despicable white man Alex Trebek? Poor soul! Maybe that's why he lost?

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4531
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by seaborgium » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:22 am

Is Jeopardy going to ask about Arthur Chu's Twitter posts?
[Edit: this was a comment on the relevance of the discussion to the 2016 current events thread, from which it has since been moved.]
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1085
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:11 pm

IronNeck wrote:I'm impressed with how people on this board reacted to the news. Most decided this wasn't the place to discuss it. The ones registering disappointment were respectful. Some pointed out interesting trivia factoids. Suffice to say everyone behaved just slightly better than a certain former super-champion who has posted on here before;

https://twitter.com/Ash_Effect/status/7 ... 7384722432

Image

I'm just curious; does this mean he was playing under tremendous duress when he was competing against those horrible white people Julia Collins and Ben Ingram in the ToC, all hosted by that despicable white man Alex Trebek? Poor soul! Maybe that's why he lost?
One thing that's becoming evident is that liberals made the mistake of conflating the economic anxiety of lagging Rust Belt communities as the American economy shifts toward a technocratic and highly-skilled workforce with the racial resentment present among working-class whites. They certainly not mutually exclusive, but treating them as one and the same alienated Democrats in those areas, which may have proved decisive.

Chu's from Ohio, so it was a worse night for him than most. I say give him a chance to apologize now that the pain and anger are not so fresh.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 4531
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by seaborgium » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Don't hold your breath awaiting an apology from Arthur. But this should be in Reretaken Down (if anywhere on the board).
[Edit: this was a comment on the relevance of the discussion to the 2016 current events thread, from which it has since been moved.]
Last edited by seaborgium on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1090
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:49 pm

seaborgium wrote:Is Jeopardy going to ask about Arthur Chu's Twitter posts?
Yeah, that's what "Reretaken Down" is for.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Our grandkids will never believe us when we try to explain 2016 to them.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by IronNeck » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:19 pm

My apologies for posting in the wrong topic.
9021amyers wrote: Chu's from Ohio, so it was a worse night for him than most. I say give him a chance to apologize now that the pain and anger are not so fresh.
Not sure how familiar you are with Chu and his Twitter, but he has written even worse things than those two Tweets above. (As in, advocating violence and murder) Not to mention done things like call in bomb threats to disrupt right-wing speeches at a university. All of which he is immensely proud of, and never apologized for.

This isn't new, either. I remember when there were news articles about his initial Jeopardy run, he gave interviews expressing a lot of anger and bitterness towards whites, who he viewed as the great nemesis of his life. This even included some gratuitous insults towards Ken Jennings of all people, who wrote a fine article praising and defending Chu.

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by sarisson » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Vanya, is that you?
(I realize I'm not the only person who's thought that.)
One-time swimmer

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8237
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Bamaman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:13 pm

sarisson wrote:Vanya, is that you?
(I realize I'm not the only person who's thought that.)
The thought crossed my mind as well. But Vanya never mentioned an interest in chess nor did he seem to be big into wagering from what I recall. Iron Neck didn't comment on Dylan's Nobel Prize and Vanya was a big Dylan fan.

So unless he created an entire new online personality, I would say they are not the same person.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5107
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:38 pm

phpBB [video]


Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died
Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long-stem rose
Everybody knows

Everybody knows that you love me baby
Everybody knows that you really do
Everybody knows that you've been faithful
Ah, give or take a night or two
Everybody knows you've been discreet
But there were so many people you just had to meet
Without your clothes
And everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

And everybody knows that it's now or never
Everybody knows that it's me or you
And everybody knows that you live forever
Ah, when you've done a line or two
Everybody knows the deal is rotten
Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton
For your ribbons and bows
And everybody knows

And everybody knows that the Plague is coming
Everybody knows that it's moving fast
Everybody knows that the naked man and woman
Are just a shining artifact of the past
Everybody knows the scene is dead
But there's gonna be a meter on your bed
That will disclose
What everybody knows

And everybody knows that you're in trouble
Everybody knows what you've been through
From the bloody cross on top of Calvary
To the beach of Malibu
Everybody knows it's coming apart
Take one last look at this Sacred Heart
Before it blows
And everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes
Everybody knows

Everybody knows

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by IronNeck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:49 am

Bamaman wrote:
sarisson wrote:Vanya, is that you?
(I realize I'm not the only person who's thought that.)
The thought crossed my mind as well. But Vanya never mentioned an interest in chess nor did he seem to be big into wagering from what I recall. Iron Neck didn't comment on Dylan's Nobel Prize and Vanya was a big Dylan fan.

So unless he created an entire new online personality, I would say they are not the same person.
Wait. I always assumed "Vanya" was a tongue-in-cheek reference to the titular protagonist of Chekhov's Uncle Vanya. I was especially confused by the (irrelevant) reference above, but ignored it.

Apparently, it's a reference to on older member of this forum instead? Can anyone summarize this particular curious character?

User avatar
bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by bpmod » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:43 am

IronNeck wrote:Can anyone summarize this particular curious character?
You shouldn't have any difficulty searching for and reading his posts.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1011
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by IronNeck » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:51 am

bpmod wrote:
IronNeck wrote:Can anyone summarize this particular curious character?
You shouldn't have any difficulty searching for and reading his posts.

Brian
Can't say I'm nearly interested enough to look up a random member of this forum and read through dozens of his posts to gain a personality profile. All because one or two people made a reference.

However, I'm interested just enough to read someone's short summary of said personality. Especially if they're the ones that made the reference to begin with. :)

User avatar
bpmod
Rank
Posts: 5427
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:26 pm
Location: Hamilton Ontario

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by bpmod » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:54 am

IronNeck wrote:
bpmod wrote:
IronNeck wrote:Can anyone summarize this particular curious character?
You shouldn't have any difficulty searching for and reading his posts.

Brian
Can't say I'm nearly interested enough to look up a random member of this forum and read through dozens of his posts to gain a personality profile. All because one or two people made a reference.

However, I'm interested just enough to read someone's short summary of said personality. Especially if they're the ones that made the reference to begin with. :)
We are not talking about some random member. We are talking of the notorious Vanya.

Two posts would probably be sufficient.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5089
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:54 am

A pugnacious, contrarian, politically conservative Russian.

User avatar
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 627
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 am

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Woppy T » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:36 am

IronNeck wrote:My apologies for posting in the wrong topic.
9021amyers wrote: Chu's from Ohio, so it was a worse night for him than most. I say give him a chance to apologize now that the pain and anger are not so fresh.
Not sure how familiar you are with Chu and his Twitter, but he has written even worse things than those two Tweets above. (As in, advocating violence and murder) Not to mention done things like call in bomb threats to disrupt right-wing speeches at a university. All of which he is immensely proud of, and never apologized for.
is this really true? Why isn't he in jail?

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2315
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: 2016 Current Events Study Guide

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:57 pm

Woppy T wrote:
IronNeck wrote:My apologies for posting in the wrong topic.
9021amyers wrote: Chu's from Ohio, so it was a worse night for him than most. I say give him a chance to apologize now that the pain and anger are not so fresh.
Not sure how familiar you are with Chu and his Twitter, but he has written even worse things than those two Tweets above. (As in, advocating violence and murder) Not to mention done things like call in bomb threats to disrupt right-wing speeches at a university. All of which he is immensely proud of, and never apologized for.
is this really true? Why isn't he in jail?
He bought off the cops by offering them a tie.
Sprinkles are for winners.

Ladybug
Contributor
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:46 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Ladybug » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:06 pm

alietr wrote:A pugnacious, contrarian, politically conservative Russian.
You left out arrogant

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3112
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Woof » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 pm

alietr wrote:A pugnacious, contrarian, politically conservative Russian.
With a not-so-subtle streak of misogyny. But I don't think he was Russian, just a Russophile.

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1677
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by RandyG » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:29 pm

Woof wrote:
alietr wrote:A pugnacious, contrarian, politically conservative Russian.
With a not-so-subtle streak of misogyny. But I don't think he was Russian, just a Russophile.
All of the above.

I'm also pretty sure Woof is correct. Aside from the board Vanya has a very American sounding name.... though, of course, it could be an Anglicized version of a Russian name. My guess was always that he has Russian heritage.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CailinGaoilge, cheezguyty, cherrypork, dhkendall, flutist319, Google [Bot], InigoMontoya, lstone19, MattKnowles, seaborgium, spell4yr, TenPoundHammer and 26 guests