Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:37 am

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:18 am
Funny, but that must be pretty old.
It's from April 1999.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:32 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:37 am
Austin Rogers game 9 reran this weekend.

CHEMISTRY, $400: Gallium turns to liquid slightly above this temperature sometimes given as 72 degrees Fahrenheit

The correct response was "room temperature" (it was a stand and stare), but I suddenly imagined that they couldn't really neg someone for saying "22 and 2/9 degrees Celsius" or some other direct conversion rather than the term for the temperature. I think the wording allows wiggle room for various alternative responses. For example, 22°C is lower than 72°F, but close enough to it to be rounded up, so one could argue that 22°C is indeed "sometimes given" as 72°F. If a contestant named any temperature from another scale that converted to at least 71.5°F and less than 72.5°F, I imagine they'd have to take it, since the melting point of gallium isn't so "slightly above" room temperature to preclude any of those numbers.

(I post here because it seemed better to bump a catch-all thread than a game thread from 2017.)
I'd be curious if there is a single other clue in the history of the show asking for a numerical unit conversion.

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 pm

Robert K S wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:32 pm
seaborgium wrote:

CHEMISTRY, $400: Gallium turns to liquid slightly above this temperature sometimes given as 72 degrees Fahrenheit

The correct response was "room temperature" (it was a stand and stare), but I suddenly imagined that they couldn't really neg someone for saying "22 and 2/9 degrees Celsius" or some other direct conversion rather than the term for the temperature. I think the wording allows wiggle room for various alternative responses. For example, 22°C is lower than 72°F, but close enough to it to be rounded up, so one could argue that 22°C is indeed "sometimes given" as 72°F. If a contestant named any temperature from another scale that converted to at least 71.5°F and less than 72.5°F, I imagine they'd have to take it, since the melting point of gallium isn't so "slightly above" room temperature to preclude any of those numbers.

(I post here because it seemed better to bump a catch-all thread than a game thread from 2017.)
I'd be curious if there is a single other clue in the history of the show asking for a numerical unit conversion.
Maybe not Celsius to Fahrenheit but I don't think it's uncommon for them to ask something like how many feet in a mile or how many cups in a gallon, things along those lines. Is there a significant difference between these?

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:30 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:12 pm
how many feet in a mile or how many cups in a gallon, things along those lines. Is there a significant difference between these?
I think there is. Asking for number of one unit in another unit is a basis fact that is used in a unit conversion, but not really a unit conversion in itself. No on-the-spot multiplication or division necessary.

BTW, here's a game along the lines of what you're thinking of (CALCULATING THE MEASUREMENTS).
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_number=6240

And here's a game where they asked for feet in a mile (INFO PLEASE).
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3325

Here's a YOU DO THE MATH category:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=845

And here's a NUMBER, PLEASE category:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4349

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:02 pm

Robert K S wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:32 pm
seaborgium wrote:

There have been a few clues of a "We'll give you Celsius, you give us Fahrenheit" and vice versa, usually involving 100 and 212, 0 and 32, 37 and 98.6, and -40 and -40. But obviously those are trivia facts and no one responding correctly is doing any actual conversions.

But I also found a couple of clues asking for conversions that wouldn't be trivia (albeit with some handholding in the wording):
HOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? $2,000: "To convert Celsius to Fahrenheit, multiply by 1.8 & add 32; if it's 50 Celsius, it's this Fahrenheit"
and NUMBER PLEASE $800: "If some wacky Canadian tells you it's 10 degrees Celsius, it's this round number Fahrenheit"

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:28 pm

The NUMBER PLEASE one was a TS. On the HOT ENOUGH FOR YOU? one, Charles got the rebound and won the Teachers Tournament with a lock.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:00 pm

Amid the other sad news going around this week, I just read that Tom Seaver (age 74) has been diagnosed with dementia. Having grown up in New York in the 1960's, I remember the 1969 Miracle Mets and the Apollo XI moon landing (from the summer when I was 7 years old) as news stories of approximately equal importance, even though I didn't start following baseball until 1973.

I suppose Father Time eventually has his way with all of us, but it still sucks.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 pm

Linear Gnome wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:00 pm
Amid the other sad news going around this week, I just read that Tom Seaver (age 74) has been diagnosed with dementia. Having grown up in New York in the 1960's, I remember the 1969 Miracle Mets and the Apollo XI moon landing (from the summer when I was 7 years old) as news stories of approximately equal importance, even though I didn't start following baseball until 1973.

I suppose Father Time eventually has his way with all of us, but it still sucks.
Crap again. If I had a boyhood sports hero, it was Seaver. Even if he was a righty and Koosman was a lefty. I still remember following that oh-so-close-to-a perfect game until Jimmy Qualls got that ^*%^$&! single.

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:35 pm

Anyone on here in Atlanta? I'm in for a conference the next few days and would gladly meet up for a trivia night somewhere if there's one.