Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6655
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:36 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:37 pm
Show
Image
I got some mustard on this one. I wonder if the different snacks are programmed to hit differently?
Just had a 2336 ft off a red pitch but couldn't cap it in time.
It seems to be based on the (debunked) idea that the faster the pitch the farther the hit, no diff between batters except confirmation bias.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9773
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:41 pm

Volante wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:36 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:37 pm
Show
Image
I got some mustard on this one. I wonder if the different snacks are programmed to hit differently?
Just had a 2336 ft off a red pitch but couldn't cap it in time.
It seems to be based on the (debunked) idea that the faster the pitch the farther the hit, no diff between batters except confirmation bias.
Don't worry about missing the screen cap. It ain't the record. ;)

Image

I got it using Chrome though for kicks I did try Edge and Firefox.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:08 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:41 pm
Volante wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:36 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:37 pm
Show
Image
I got some mustard on this one. I wonder if the different snacks are programmed to hit differently?
Just had a 2336 ft off a red pitch but couldn't cap it in time.
It seems to be based on the (debunked) idea that the faster the pitch the farther the hit, no diff between batters except confirmation bias.
Don't worry about missing the screen cap. It ain't the record. ;)

Image

I got it using Chrome though for kicks I did try Edge and Firefox.
Oof. That's gonna be tough to reach.

I finally managed to load the bases for a grand slam a couple of times. I have not yet hit a triple, as far as I can tell, though.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6362
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by seaborgium » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:57 am

I just got 2,196.

Is it possible to hit a triple?

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2083
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:14 am

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:57 am
I just got 2,196.

Is it possible to hit a triple?
If it is, I've yet to see one. Even when they could easily take 3rd, judging by their previous baserunning aggressiveness, they stop at 2nd. Except when the ball goes to the wall, then it's an inside-the-park HR.

So far 2368 is the best I've done. The red cap super fastballs don't show up often enough for my tastes, so this'll do for now.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9773
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:22 am

I have not seen a triple and have only seen that inside the park home run with the ball going to the fence, once. If you get 50 runs then there is a creature that goes along the outfield. I do not have the skill (can still miss the red pitches) or concentration to see if something else happens at 100 runs.

One other thing I found better for me was using two hands on the space bar to hit instead of a mouse click.

User avatar
MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1805
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm


User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:07 pm

I had only ever topped 1,000 feet once. I guess I got a hold of this one.



Image

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1751
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Missouri

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Linear Gnome » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:17 pm

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm
Permalink to the game:

https://www.google.com/doodles/fourth-of-july-2019
I somehow had never clicked on the doodle while it was going on, so thanks for the link. I played somewhat longer than I had planned to.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6655
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Volante » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:18 am

Linear Gnome wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm
Permalink to the game:

https://www.google.com/doodles/fourth-of-july-2019
I somehow had never clicked on the doodle while it was going on, so thanks for the link. I played somewhat longer than I had planned to.
Gave it another whirl today and I finally figured out something that bugged me...
The Lemonade and Lettuce bat Lefty.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6362
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by seaborgium » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:19 am

Volante wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:18 am
Linear Gnome wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm
Permalink to the game:

https://www.google.com/doodles/fourth-of-july-2019
I somehow had never clicked on the doodle while it was going on, so thanks for the link. I played somewhat longer than I had planned to.
Gave it another whirl today and I finally figured out something that bugged me...
The Lemonade and Lettuce bat Lefty.
Yeah I noticed that too. I couldn't figure out whether there were any other L foodstuffs coming up to bat.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by CasketRomance » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:40 am

Linear Gnome wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:17 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:30 pm
Permalink to the game:

https://www.google.com/doodles/fourth-of-july-2019
I somehow had never clicked on the doodle while it was going on, so thanks for the link. I played somewhat longer than I had planned to.
me too

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4550
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by jeff6286 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:03 pm

just topped the 2557 with a 2573. Have played a lot of this and never seen an inside-the-park home run. Anyone know what the trick to that might be?

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9773
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 am

Page 3 is unusual to have to find this thread.

To bump it up it's bad news as I only found out today that Denise Nickerson (Violet Beauregarde in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory) died on July 10th at age 62. Besides the iconic film role I also remember her in the "Two Petes in a Pod" episode of The Brady Bunch.

User avatar
squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by squarekara » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:08 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 am
Page 3 is unusual to have to find this thread.

To bump it up it's bad news as I only found out today that Denise Nickerson (Violet Beauregarde in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory) died on July 10th at age 62. Besides the iconic film role I also remember her in the "Two Petes in a Pod" episode of The Brady Bunch.
RIP, Denise Nickerson. Here's a clip from The Electric Company that features her:


User avatar
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:28 pm
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by pinkfreud » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:09 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 am
Page 3 is unusual to have to find this thread.

To bump it up it's bad news as I only found out today that Denise Nickerson (Violet Beauregarde in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory) died on July 10th at age 62. Besides the iconic film role I also remember her in the "Two Petes in a Pod" episode of The Brady Bunch.
I first noticed her in the late 1960s when she appeared in the horror soap opera Dark Shadows. I loved that show, and I rearranged my college schedule so that I could watch both Dark Shadows and Jeopardy! (the Art Fleming version). Denise Nickerson was a remarkable young actress. Like many child performers, she did not have great success in show business after reaching adulthood, but she will be remembered for a long time for her role in Willy Wonka.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6712
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:06 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:27 pm
A friend shared with me this story about Candy Land board game celebrating 70 years: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/ ... nd/594424/
While roaming around Spain last week, we thought we noticed a surprisingly large number of people either on crutches or in wheelchairs. It turns out it wasn't our imagination -- apparently Franco didn't think it important to immunize the population against polio, and as a result, there were a larger number of victims there when compared to other countries.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6712
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:12 am

Holzhauer goes on an amazing run and earns $2.5 million. Then some 16-year-old kid plays Fortnite and wins $3 million.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 9773
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:40 pm

The 7/31 debate had me spotting a familiarity to Alex Trebek several times:

Image

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6712
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:15 pm

Number of times an element has been the correct question:

https://i.redd.it/20e9yhae5ne31.png

Post Reply