Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:20 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:06 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:40 am Funny how when I talk about this stuff it’s called pirating.
Under the law, my occasional uploads may be considered "pirating" I suppose. Ethically, I feel there's a world of difference or I wouldn't do it. I'm not providing paid-for content to people who are looking to get out of paying. I'm not diminishing Sony's ad revenue or the ad revenue of local affiliates that air Jeopardy! (or, as the case may be, choose not to). My effect on the monetary value of the Jeopardy! brand is either nil or a very tiny net positive. The net positive comes from allowing the discussion to continue here and to include those with legal access to the show in ordinary circumstances who were deprived of the ability to see it. To the extent that this board constitutes free publicity, my upload can only increase the value of the brand.

I'm not sure what "this stuff" is that you were talking about, but I'd bet it's not what I outlined. I suspect most boardies make similar ethical distinctions to the ones I'm making in this regard.
I don't see how you are not providing a free episode to someone who didn't pay for it. Weather someone is looking to get out of paying or not, you are still providing said content.

But if this is what makes it OK, then it is totally OK what I was accused of pirating for. I had stated some of us could get together and take turns with recording and providing said recordings so nobody misses a day, and so nobody would have to do it every day of the week all season long.

What I was suggesting and what you are providing here are no different that I can see; yet I was told I was supporting pirating of the show.
Just to be clear, you're accusing Opus of piracy, right, and admitting to it yourself?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:40 am Funny how when I talk about this stuff it’s called pirating.
Under the law, my occasional uploads may be considered "pirating" I suppose. Ethically, I feel there's a world of difference or I wouldn't do it. I'm not providing paid-for content to people who are looking to get out of paying. I'm not diminishing Sony's ad revenue or the ad revenue of local affiliates that air Jeopardy! (or, as the case may be, choose not to). My effect on the monetary value of the Jeopardy! brand is either nil or a very tiny net positive. The net positive comes from allowing the discussion to continue here and to include those with legal access to the show in ordinary circumstances who were deprived of the ability to see it. To the extent that this board constitutes free publicity, my upload can only increase the value of the brand.

I'm not sure what "this stuff" is that you were talking about, but I'd bet it's not what I outlined. I suspect most boardies make similar ethical distinctions to the ones I'm making in this regard.
I don't see how you are not providing a free episode to someone who didn't pay for it. Weather someone is looking to get out of paying or not, you are still providing said content.

But if this is what makes it OK, then it is totally OK what I was accused of pirating for. I had stated some of us could get together and take turns with recording and providing said recordings so nobody misses a day, and so nobody would have to do it every day of the week all season long.

What I was suggesting and what you are providing here are no different that I can see; yet I was told I was supporting pirating of the show.
Except in this situation, our affiliate failed to provide the service in the first place.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:31 pm

Just to be clear, you're accusing Opus of piracy, right, and admitting to it yourself?
Clearly I didn’t accuse anyone of anything, all I have done is ask how this is any different.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I have no stake in this discussion or even a keen interest in it, but I will say that whether an episode (game) of Jeopardy is shown in a market has no bearing on whether sharing a copy violates copyright law. In 1999, the network showing "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (I think it was the WB then) postponed showing two episodes, including the season finale, because of the Columbine shooting. The first episode pulled did deal with a school shooting, but the second pulled episode (the season finale) was much more puzzling because the violence was all supernatural and did not involve firearms. Anyway, the episodes aired in Canada as scheduled and many people recorded and sent links to bootleg copies to folks in the States so that they could see the episodes. I confess that I was one of those that accessed them because I disagreed with the decision not to air the episodes, particularly the season finale (which I don't think aired in the U.S. until late summer). No question though that the links to the Canadian broadcasts were improper even though they weren't aired at the same time in the U.S.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:37 pm Clearly I didn’t accuse anyone of anything, all I have done is ask how this is any different.
And you were given an answer. Which you didn't like. Now we're all caught up.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

georgespelvin wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:01 pm I have no stake in this discussion or even a keen interest in it, but I will say that whether an episode (game) of Jeopardy is shown in a market has no bearing on whether sharing a copy violates copyright law. In 1999, the network showing "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (I think it was the WB then) postponed showing two episodes, including the season finale, because of the Columbine shooting. The first episode pulled did deal with a school shooting, but the second pulled episode (the season finale) was much more puzzling because the violence was all supernatural and did not involve firearms. Anyway, the episodes aired in Canada as scheduled and many people recorded and sent links to bootleg copies to folks in the States so that they could see the episodes. I confess that I was one of those that accessed them because I disagreed with the decision not to air the episodes, particularly the season finale (which I don't think aired in the U.S. until late summer). No question though that the links to the Canadian broadcasts were improper even though they weren't aired at the same time in the U.S.
Sure. I think what we're saying here is that most people, yourself presumably included, would see your decision to access those two episodes in a different light than a decision by a group of people to take turns uploading every Buffy episode almost as soon as it aired so that anyone in any (or no) market could watch them.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:42 pm
triviawayne wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:37 pm Clearly I didn’t accuse anyone of anything, all I have done is ask how this is any different.
And you were given an answer. Which you didn't like. Now we're all caught up.
PM sent to keep out the nonsense and noise.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Dude spends 96 days rowing across the Atlantic alone, arrives in Antigua...and has to spend 14 days in quarantine.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... antic-solo
But that in itself is going to be a challenge. Although boats are currently banned from docking on the island, a special dispensation has been made for Walters and he now faces a stint in quarantine and potentially a long wait before he can catch a flight home. “I’ve caused a bit of an international incident,” Walters said.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

i have been educated about how Cash Cab contestants are found.

https://www.looper.com/26040/untold-truth-cash-cab/
Volante

Post by Volante »

Thanks, quarantine! I've turned into a very amateur birdwatcher. Helps that they're all nesting within camera range...

Mourning doves:
birds2.jpg
birds2.jpg (82.84 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
birds3.jpg
birds3.jpg (74.36 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
Cliff sparrows:
birds4.jpg
birds4.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
Volante

Post by Volante »

Last two until something incredible shows up (like that crane from two weeks ago...)
European Starling
birds5.jpg
birds5.jpg (31.94 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
House Finch here has been camera shy... Took four days to get this
birds6.jpg
birds6.jpg (67.89 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Starlings are a nasty invasive species. And mourning doves are annoyingly noisy. I like other birds.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:12 pm Starlings are a nasty invasive species. And mourning doves are annoyingly noisy. I like other birds.
Aw.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Google has been bringing back old Doodles. Not as good as the July 4th baseball from last year (which I still play sometimes), but today's Halloween 2016 revisit is a lot of fun.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:14 pm Google has been bringing back old Doodles. Not as good as the July 4th baseball from last year (which I still play sometimes), but today's Halloween 2016 revisit is a lot of fun.
Forgot about that baseball one. Great practice for the Astros since you can know what pitch is coming ahead of time.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:12 pm Starlings are a nasty invasive species. And mourning doves are annoyingly noisy. I like other birds.
We have mourning doves in our neighborhood and I find their plaintive cry to be one of the loveliest sounds in all of nature. I'm shocked that anyone's take on them could be so 180-degree opposite. Oh well, different strokes.
Volante

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:57 pm
We have mourning doves in our neighborhood and I find their plaintive cry to be one of the loveliest sounds in all of nature. I'm shocked that anyone's take on them could be so 180-degree opposite. Oh well, different strokes.
Maybe he's just surrounded by them and it's a cacoophony? (coocophony? coocoophony? which makes the best pun there?) Hasn't been bad here.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Today's Doodle is a classic and lots of fun.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Bird update! Spoilering to collapse thread.

Baby finches...in what appears to be a poop nest.
There's a perfectly good twigs, sticks and pine needle nest right nest to them and it appears empty but, okay, fine, whatever...
Spoiler
birds7.jpg
birds7.jpg (120.61 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
And a pre-baby dove. The chicks from earlier left last week.
Spoiler
birds8.jpg
birds8.jpg (56.68 KiB) Viewed 5192 times
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://gizmodo.com/researchers-acciden ... 1843481214
Researchers Accidentally Got High on Laughing Gas From Penguin Poop
Okay, they took a little liberty with the headline...
The soil from the site closest to the penguin colony had significantly more nitrous oxide—which can make humans feel relaxed and euphoric—than the other sites.

The penguin poop itself doesn’t contains laughing gas; instead, the nitrogen in the poop enters the ground, where the soil turns it into nitrous oxide, Eberling told the AFP.