Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by twelvefootboy »

Spoiler
floridagator wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:57 pm
jeff6286 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:41 pm
floridagator wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:01 pm
I got Pantheon right away.

Something is weird with the sound mix. The music was drowning out Alex's words.

The Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with immigration. It was a gift to the United States from France on the occasion of our hundredth anniversary.

Frankie's story was ridiculously boring.
Maybe take a break from your spewing of garbage and learn something. Saying the Statue of Liberty has nothing to do with immigration is just laughably ignorant. Here's a place to start.

http://www.cityreliquary.org/lady-liber ... migration/

Thank you for adding to the collegiality of j-board. I would not trust any recent source on that point. You can look at the coverage from the siting and construction and dedication of the Statue of Liberty and from basically the first fifty years it existed and find no reference to immigration. Those who favor massive immigration have co-opted it as a symbol in the past 75 or 80 years.
Deep breath.
Hoping to ADD thoughtful points/counterpoints - I regret that I do not have the dissertation skills to continue in the reretaken thread, or even privately, but am always interested in unfiltered facts in complete context.

1) Don't you pretty much make the point and legitimize the symbolism by mentioning EIGHTY years?
2) If original use and political purpose is the only valid symbolism, then all those Confederate monuments built after Reconstruction and during Jim Crow are still expressly racists statements, and not some icon of an idealistic Southern culture that is not defined by slavery?
3) If sensible immigration policy advocates can't use the Statue of Liberty, isn't this an example of Cancel Culture? Sorry I don't know how to phrase or parse that ridiculous idea, but white privilege has not changed in my lifetime, Christmas is not under attack, and if you don't want to bake wedding cakes for gay people, then don't open your doors to the public that you approve of.
--Post put in spoiler tag by moderator because of game spoilers
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by alietr »

More on river borders, but this time the world:

riverborders_grwl_2020_lrg.jpg
riverborders_grwl_2020_lrg.jpg (104.35 KiB) Viewed 48 times