Trivia about Trivia: Obscure Record Holders

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Trivia about Trivia: Obscure Record Holders

Post by alietr »

Six letters? Huh?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:Six letters? Huh?
Maybe he didn't want to get confused with a "Weird Al" song.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

India was the correct response to a clue back in the early 90s for FJ! that read "The World's Most POpulous Democracy"
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I meant the shortest and longest clues, not the response!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:I meant the shortest and longest clues, not the response!
It took me a while to get legendneverdies' point too, Alietr. Maybe if he mentioned "the worlds' most populous democracy" has five words, and therefore is the shortest FJ clue mentioned yet, his point would be clearer.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

alietr wrote:Along similar lines ... does anyone know what the shortest (in number of words) and longest FJ's were?
Please take all this with a grain of salt and remember that I'm dealing with an incomplete dataset.
And of course, this wouldn't be possible without the herculean efforts of the archivists!

For words just in the clue, this one is probably the shortest, clocking in at 3:
NEXT IN LINE "Jacqueline, Claudia, Thelma, …"
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2726

For words in clue and category, the following is probably shortest:
GEOGRAPHY "It's Europe's second-largest island"
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=564

Although treating 'second-largest' as one word is a bit iffy.... Otherwise, it's ASIA "It's Asia's southernmost national capital" , which clocks in at 6 and is tied with the NEXT IN LINE one from above.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1312

For longest clue, it's probably this one with 29 words:
WORDS IN THE BIBLE "In Genesis 2:24 these 2 words are what a man shall do to his parents & then to his wife; add a letter to 1 to get the other"
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3388

And the above ties the following at 33 words in both category and clue:
IT HAPPENED IN NEW YORK CITY "On August 10, 2004, 2 days after her death at the age of 96, the Empire State Building dimmed its lights for 15 minutes in her memory"
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1676
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

Ok, this'll probably seem odd to some (many?), but I just had some fun looking at the distributions of FJ length statistics and I got to thinking about the "most average" FJ clue ever in terms of length and other stats. For example, over half of all FJs have a two word category, etc.* A cursory analysis gives this winner of the most average FJ ever:

EUROPEAN RIVERS 20 miles from Frankfurt is the meeting place of these 2 rivers, whose names rhyme despite the spelling
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2392

Congratulations, EUROPEAN RIVERS!

*Btw, the longest FJ category has been 7 letter words long. Appropriately enough for a set of seven things... (I'll let you click through for the _multiple_ punchlines.)
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2775
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3583
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Always helpful, Roger. Thanks!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

RCraig wrote:Ok, this'll probably seem odd to some (many?), but I just had some fun looking at the distributions of FJ length statistics and I got to thinking about the "most average" FJ clue ever in terms of length and other stats.
Good stuff, Roger. Hey, I don't suppose you have a nice spreadsheet or CSV file grouped by date of contestant scores going into FJ, their wagers, and whether they got it right (or their final score, which amounts to the same thing)?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

RCraig wrote:NEXT IN LINE "Jacqueline, Claudia, Thelma, …"
Wish this wasn't a triple stumper, because I'm wondering if my answer of "who was Betty Ford?" would have been acceptable.
The phrasing of the clue implies "real" first name was needed, and I didn't know it.Actually, I wonder if the last name was even necessary?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote:
RCraig wrote:NEXT IN LINE "Jacqueline, Claudia, Thelma, …"
Wish this wasn't a triple stumper, because I'm wondering if my answer of "who was Betty Ford?" would have been acceptable.
The phrasing of the clue implies "real" first name was needed, and I didn't know it.Actually, I wonder if the last name was even necessary?
She was Elizabeth, I assume they'd have taken Betty as well as Betty Ford.
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

RCraig wrote: Although treating 'second-largest' as one word is a bit iffy.... Otherwise, it's ASIA "It's Asia's southernmost national capital" , which clocks in at 6 and is tied with the NEXT IN LINE one from above.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1312
Here's a FJ that has a different answer these days.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

RCraig wrote:*Btw, the longest FJ category has been 7 letter words long. Appropriately enough for a set of seven things... (I'll let you click through for the _multiple_ punchlines.)
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2775
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3583
For a minute there, I thought it was going to be this one.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

To my knowledge, Robin Woods and J.J. Todor are the only contestants to have won multiple games from a pre-FJ third place. Both did it twice, and Robin did it in consecutive games. (She could have gotten three in a row, but her opponents may have been wary of repeating history and wagered unusually small on what would be a triple stumper.)

Off the top of my head, I would guess that the highest combined pre-FJ score for first and second place is $57,800, between Daniel Weissman ($33,000) and Mark Wales ($24,800). After writing that sentence, I remembered that scores were pretty high in Myron Meyer's second game; I looked it up and it was Jake Maeroff's $33,800 to Myron's $20,600. Myron hit that first DD too soon. Now to look up the scores in Ken Jennings's $75,000 game... $51,400 to $5,600, whew. It would have felt like a cop-out if the highest combined score just had first place doing most of the work. Finally, the Pat Sajak MDCI game with the late TDD by Elizabeth Perkins: $32,400 to $27,600. So let's add "in a regular game" to this paragraph's first sentence!
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

seaborgium wrote:Off the top of my head, I would guess that the highest combined pre-FJ score for first and second place is $57,800, between Daniel Weissman ($33,000) and Mark Wales ($24,800). After writing that sentence, I remembered that scores were pretty high in Myron Meyer's second game; I looked it up and it was Jake Maeroff's $33,800 to Myron's $20,600. Myron hit that first DD too soon. Now to look up the scores in Ken Jennings's $75,000 game... $51,400 to $5,600, whew. It would have felt like a cop-out if the highest combined score just had first place doing most of the work. Finally, the Pat Sajak MDCI game with the late TDD by Elizabeth Perkins: $32,400 to $27,600. So let's add "in a regular game" to this paragraph's first sentence!
Larissa Kelly's first game saw her leading $42,200 to $18,800 over Mary Kay Schmidt heading into Final, for a total of $61,000. That leads me to wonder if Mary Kay's pre-FJ score is the highest ever to be less than half the leader's (i.e. on the losing side of a lock game). Ken had 17 games with a pre-FJ score of more than $37,600 but the most any of his opponents in those games had was Al Arsenault's $11,800.

ETA: Sorry it's three months late, but I've found an even higher 1st + 2nd place pre-FJ total: $50,000 (Zia Choudhury) + $15,800 (Nick Philip) = $65,800 in the first game of the 2008-A TeenT.
Last edited by cheezguyty on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

seaborgium wrote:It would have felt like a cop-out if the highest combined score just had first place doing most of the work
Like combined career home runs by brothers? (Unless it's changed since the late 70s, can't imagine it has.)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:To my knowledge, Robin Woods and J.J. Todor are the only contestants to have won multiple games from a pre-FJ third place. Both did it twice, and Robin did it in consecutive games. (She could have gotten three in a row, but her opponents may have been wary of repeating history and wagered unusually small on what would be a triple stumper.)

Off the top of my head, I would guess that the highest combined pre-FJ score for first and second place is $57,800, between Daniel Weissman ($33,000) and Mark Wales ($24,800). After writing that sentence, I remembered that scores were pretty high in Myron Meyer's second game; I looked it up and it was Jake Maeroff's $33,800 to Myron's $20,600. Myron hit that first DD too soon. Now to look up the scores in Ken Jennings's $75,000 game... $51,400 to $5,600, whew. It would have felt like a cop-out if the highest combined score just had first place doing most of the work. Finally, the Pat Sajak MDCI game with the late TDD by Elizabeth Perkins: $32,400 to $27,600. So let's add "in a regular game" to this paragraph's first sentence!
Brad Plovan had the 3rd entering FJ bookends to pull off the double Houdini:

Gwen 9300-2901=6399
Brad 3600+3600=7200
Carl 6100-300=5800

Brad 5000+5000=10000
Bill 7800-4000=3800
Sally 5600-5599=1
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

jessamine price also did this just last season, in her first and third games. of her four games, the only one in which she had a lead going into FJ was her fourth (and, of course, final).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Thanks, Mark, Joon, and cheezguyty! And thanks to Paucle too, even if you didn't dig up any J! stuff; that's a perfect analogy.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

seaborgium wrote:Thanks, Mark, Joon, and cheezguyty! And thanks to Paucle too, even if you didn't dig up any J! stuff; that's a perfect analogy.
Thanks- and I checked, it still works. For those curious, it's...
Spoiler
Most combined career home runs by brothers in MLB, 768, and... Tommie Aaron hit 13