Monday, September 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: The better angles of our nature

Post by Volante »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Volante wrote:A hypothesis is what you're testing, so by definition, hypotheses are unproven. Once you prove them, they're no longer a hypothesis.
The folks who claim that Evolution has no merit because it's "only a theory" need to have that explained to them.
Easier typed...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Monday, September 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jpahk »

is it weird to say that i'd forgotten how good this show was? hooray for jeopardy.

i went 0/4 in oscars. most of the substance of the clues seemed to be the TV clues, and, well, i only watch one TV show. (no points for guessing which one.) it didn't help that hutton and (angelica) huston won supporting acting oscars, and i just don't know those winners like i do the four "major" awards. lange won one of each, so she certainly wasn't on my short list of two-time oscar winners. everything else played okay. i didn't know duncan fife and i also tried great bear, but i can't remember too many other toughies. i liked the wars category—a lot more than the contestants did, at any rate. poitiers is one of the three major battles of the 100YW, all english victories (crécy, poitiers, agincourt); it's where edward the black prince captured king jean ii of france. i've never seen a reference to the battle of tarawa outside of a crossword puzzle, but if you know that tarawa is the capital of kiribati, you can reason out that it's WWII, because when else was anybody fighting wars in the middle of the pacific? i'm not even going to say anything about the incheon invasion TS.

i'm glad vamsi won—his story was entertaining and he keeps the game moving. hopefully tomorrow he can distinguish himself a little better than he did on today's rather tough boards.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote:A hypothesis is what you're testing, so by definition, hypotheses are unproven. Once you prove them, they're no longer a hypothesis.
The folks who claim that Evolution has no merit because it's "only a theory" need to have that explained to them.
It sounds as though you're equating the term "theorem" as it's used in Mathematics with the term "theory" as it is used in the sciences. Scientific theories are never really proven. They just fail at being disproven (falsified) to such an extent that they are considered correct. It is for that reason--and not because "theory" means "proven"--that the phrase "only a theory" betrays ignorance.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jpahk wrote:i went 0/4 in oscars. most of the substance of the clues seemed to be the TV clues, and, well, i only watch one TV show. (no points for guessing which one.)
Dancing with the Stars?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Where's on first

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Wasn't sure on the exact pronunciation of Septuagint but I took a stab and came out correct.
Despite having taken some religion classes at university, I've always pronounced it at "sep-TOO-a-jint" since I've always seen it in print (either my profs never said the word out loud, or I've forgotten what my professors have said 20 years later ... ). I betted that my definition would work under the "only seen it in print" clause of the show, and credited myself with a get.
jeff6286 wrote:Looking at the largest islands list on wikipedia, there are 4 more islands in the top 50 that have territory of more than 1 country. Can anyone name one of them? (paging dhkendall)
Off the cuff - Tierra del Fuego?
jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
immaf wrote:For FJ I went with Hispaniola because I couldn't think of "the island that Papua New Guinea is on". Sigh.
Just like that guy who couldn't get Guy Fawkes when he was thinking "Oh, that guy. What's that guy's name?"
There was a French guy why was a highly-ranked tennis player in the early 1990s, but I would always forget his name. What was it again? Oh yeah! Guy Forget
Paging Abbott and Costello ...

("Just go ask for my uncle - Hugo Gessit!")
jpahk wrote:i'm glad vamsi won—his story was entertaining and he keeps the game moving. hopefully tomorrow he can distinguish himself a little better than he did on today's rather tough boards.
We had two very entertaining stories, imho the kind of stories I'd like to see more of in contestant interviews, I hope that the CCs are going to coninue stepping up their game this season in regards to getting awesome stories out of contestants' mouths.

And I'll be the one to make my way onto a few more ignore lists by saying that the opening was nice, but I actually liked Season 28's better (as it featured the contestant lights, which is part of the set, I don't think that circular riser thing that has lights on the top and bottom that's featured in Season 29's is part of the set, and therefore has less to do with the show. Though I like that the board and dollar values are in the intro, just not the focus of the intro and logo.) But then, I've never been the type to go ZOMG!! BEST INTRO EVER! for J! (or any show - really, the theme and logo are wholly incidental to the show itself). You want that kind of reaction out of me, show me a picture of Kari Byron. ;)

ETA: I will say about the new opening graphics that someone must be a fan of ST: Voyager (the font used on the contestant names and winnings remind me of that used on Voyager)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jpahk wrote:i didn't know duncan fife
Me neither too. Apparently it's Duncan Phyfe. Not that seeing it that way makes me smack my forhead in recognition.
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

cinemaniax7 wrote:At the first commercial break, my daughter asked, "Is it just me? Or are the clues harder this year?"
You should have seen those of us who were waiting to play . . . we were freaking out a bit. They gave us incredibly easy clues during rehearsal, and I think we were all feeling pretty smart. Then came furniture and Oscar winners . . .

And I call Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

dscotttwo wrote:Re: the last question in double jeopardy, veneer should have been accepted. Plywood is made up of veneers, whether the top layer or any layer in between. Eames chairs are made by pressing veneers of wood into a molded plywood. Yes, they are laminated as well. But, the first answer was correct.
Interesting, and I'm disappointed that this post seems to have been lost in the shuffle. Does anyone else have anything to add here? Not that it would affect the final outcome, but it might have made things more interesting!
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
dscotttwo wrote:Re: the last question in double jeopardy, veneer should have been accepted. Plywood is made up of veneers, whether the top layer or any layer in between. Eames chairs are made by pressing veneers of wood into a molded plywood. Yes, they are laminated as well. But, the first answer was correct.
Interesting, and I'm disappointed that this post seems to have been lost in the shuffle. Does anyone else have anything to add here? Not that it would affect the final outcome, but it might have made things more interesting!

There may have been a long discussion of this over drinks that night . . . I'm kinda over it now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:
It sounds as though you're equating the term "theorem" as it's used in Mathematics with the term "theory" as it is used in the sciences. Scientific theories are never really proven. They just fail at being disproven (falsified) to such an extent that they are considered correct. It is for that reason--and not because "theory" means "proven"--that the phrase "only a theory" betrays ignorance.
Easier typed... :lol:

But yeah, if memory serves, physics/chemistry/biology don't use theorems; I would imagine the closest analogy would be laws?
And a mathematical conjecture would be analogous to a hard science theory (as opposed to a casual theory, which would more closely resemble my Calc 53 homework...).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Where's on first

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote: And I'll be the one to make my way onto a few more ignore lists by saying that the opening was nice, but I actually liked Season 28's better
You keep forgetting, we can't ignore you, because you're a moderator. No matter how hard we might try... :mrgreen:

As to the remaining top 50 islands with more than one country claiming land...Timor (East Timor and Indonesia) is #44, named by Budphrey, and #29 is Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego (Argentina and Chile), named by dhkendall and TreehugginCowgirl, nearly simultaneously. The remaining two, #28 and #31, are both islands of Antarctica, which may be the Final Jeopardy! category in my worst nightmare.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
As to the remaining top 50 islands with more than one country claiming land...Timor (East Timor and Indonesia) is #44, named by Budphrey, and #29 is Isla Grande de Tierra del Fuego (Argentina and Chile), named by dhkendall and TreehugginCowgirl, nearly simultaneously. The remaining two, #28 and #31, are both islands of Antarctica, which may be the Final Jeopardy! category in my worst nightmare.
Ah your original post asked for "territory of more than one country" which should exclude Antartic islands, as that land generally isn't considered "territory" of any country. MOre than one country claiming land" is a better way to put it, but that wasn't in the original. (Perhaps stick with "with an international border on it" as that excludes Antarctica even if you count them as territory of other nations, as those islands in their entirety are disputed in whole between two or three countries)

Surprised Timor was that big, didn't think it was bigger than Cyprus, and I was wondering how it would count (cases could easily be made for 3, 2, or 1 countries on that island.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

billy pilgrim wrote:...I thought the clue re The Wizard of OZ asked for the next four words from Ms Gulch. I count "And yout little dog, too" as 5.
"...AND..." was part of the clue, but Alex read the word as if it were outside the quote, so I wasn't surprised that she completed the quote.

For FJ, Indonesia came immediately to mind, but I said Java instead of NG. I hate having a 0% FJ record! At least I learned later that Java is the world's most populous island...
Last edited by davey on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Wasn't sure on the exact pronunciation of Septuagint but I took a stab and came out correct.
Despite having taken some religion classes at university, I've always pronounced it at "sep-TOO-a-jint" since I've always seen it in print (either my profs never said the word out loud, or I've forgotten what my professors have said 20 years later ... ).
Or your professors pronounced the word as you did, with the emphasis on the antepenult. All of my professors at seminary did so. Except maybe the British one. I don't recall.

My reference materials are evenly divided. Some list one pronunciation, some the other. Some list both but with no consensus as to which should come first. So I'm going to continue to pronounce it with the accent on the second syllable and let the Brits pronounce it with the accent on the first. Canadians, as usual, will have to decide which country gets the hono(u)r of their company in this instance.

It's interesting you mention having seen the word in print. Despite years of working with books that reference the Septuagint, I've rarely seen the word spelled out. In the literature, the Septuagint is almost invariably referred to as LXX (Roman numeral for 70, if it's not obvious). That gets pronounced in my head as "ell-ex-EX", so that's probably the set of sounds I most associate with the Septuagint. My physical and electronic copies both use the title "Septuaginta", which changes the pronunciation. Generally, the only time I see "Septuagint" spelled out as such is when we are trying to communicate with people outside the specialty. We do this so they won't be able to decipher our books on their own.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Picked up a fair amount of Lach trash, which made up for my failures in Oscar TV stars (only got Hutton) and 1990s #1 albums. FJ was an instaget.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

jeff6286 wrote: Looking at the largest islands list on wikipedia, there are 4 more islands in the top 50 that have territory of more than 1 country. Can anyone name one of them? (paging dhkendall)
Islands with territory of more than one country was a TD question of mine way back when.

The results:
Borneo 9
Hispaniola 8
Ireland 7
Timor 4
New Guinea 3
St. Martin 3
Cyprus 2
Tierra del Fuego 1

Usedom, Sebatik: not given
Cuba, Sakhalin: wrong answers

I wanted someone to answer Lemma to the last math question. Oh well.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

jpahk wrote:i went 0/4 in oscars. most of the substance of the clues seemed to be the TV clues, and, well, i only watch one TV show. (no points for guessing which one.)
Dancing with the Stars?
Careening off topic here, but I would LOVE to see a Jeopardy! champion on "Dancing With the Stars". It would have to be a well-known champ *cough*Ken Jennings*cough*, though. Or Alex himself, but I suppose that would be too much to ask for.
Teems with quiet fun.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Kind of awkward wording on the final, when I read it (on here) I thought of Papua-New Guinea, I imagine they'd have marked me wrong.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Despite having taken some religion classes at university, I've always pronounced it at "sep-TOO-a-jint" since I've always seen it in print (either my profs never said the word out loud, or I've forgotten what my professors have said 20 years later ... ).
Or your professors pronounced the word as you did, with the emphasis on the antepenult. All of my professors at seminary did so. Except maybe the British one. I don't recall.
Profs aren't perfect with pronunciation. I had a 10th grade bio teacher who somehow mangled "echinoderm" into "endocherm", and constantly said "endrocrine" instead of "endocrine". "Sympathic" for "sympathetic". Pronounced glucagon and glycogen the same way. Et cetera.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
immaf wrote:For FJ I went with Hispaniola because I couldn't think of "the island that Papua New Guinea is on". Sigh.
Just like that guy who couldn't get Guy Fawkes when he was thinking "Oh, that guy. What's that guy's name?"
There was a French guy why was a highly-ranked tennis player in the early 1990s, but I would always forget his name. What was it again? Oh yeah! Guy Forget
Of course, he would pronounce it "gee for-ZHAY".
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.