Monday, September 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, September 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:17 pm

GregK wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:After a ruling from the judges, Alex accepted "laminate" as a term for the "layered wood product" used by both Aalto and Eames. But he didn't tell us what term they were really looking for. I said "laminate" as well, so I know I get the Coryat points. But what's the more correct response?
The correct answer should have simply been "plywood" for the Eames and Aalto chairs. Plywood is a type of laminate - but technically they would have been entitled to have asked a BMS on that one since there are laminates made of materials other than wood.
Yeah, but the clue specified a "layered wood product". So unless there are wood product laminates that aren't plywood, I think the judges made the right call. And if there are, they still made the right call because ... points. I'm not giving them back.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:55 pm

CoachP wrote:Now I really think I should have questioned my answer being ruled incorrect (the infamous veneer one). However, I stank up the room on FJ so probably wouldn't have mattered in the long run, except perhaps i might have come in 2nd not 3rd. Yes, I blew it on a lot of other categories as well-and by the time the war category came up I was too shell-shocked (pun intended) to try to guess on Ypres and Inchon. However, Vamsi and Diane played well, and deserved what they earned.
I think you should try to wangle an extra thousand bucks out of them.

As things were, your wager on FJ was not ideal. A $400 wager or less would pretty much have guaranteed you second place if either of your opponents missed. And it would have increased your chance of a win (which required a miss from both of them). If it's any consolation, I'm always a little happier in situations like yours if it's the non-champion who gets second place. I figure, hey, they didn't even get to win once; at least let them go home with $2,000.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression of the appeals process is that it only works when it's something no one thought about at the time in the studio. Diane, do you know if they discussed it at the time? I'm guessing if they went back to their books and looked it up at the time, and therefore the odds of successfully appealing it are pretty low. But then again, an inquiry never hurt ...

TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:01 pm

opusthepenguin wrote: Yeah, but the clue specified a "layered wood product". So unless there are wood product laminates that aren't plywood, I think the judges made the right call. And if there are, they still made the right call because ... points. I'm not giving them back.
A lot of decking products are made of laminate that's primarily wood.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: The better angles of our nature

Post by silverscreentest » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 am

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Should I really need to know any of those bleeping furniture makers? That seemed insanely niche.
And niche is a noun.
adjective pertaining to or intended for a market niche; having specific appeal: niche advertising.
I've seen "niche" as a slightly veiled condescension such as describing hockey or soccer as niche sports in the United States. The translation being,"I am not denigrating this subject matter or your interest in it, but who gives a #@&%?"

Although furniture is a category that leans towards women the way sports leans towards men.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.