Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Platonic Fiends? Lex Luthor and Otis? If it was old Greek guys then no problem with it unplayed. If it was pop culture villains then the writers need to get that category played another time.

There was a clue looking for Jacob (Black) and a clue about Robert Pattinson. I guess we'll get a whole Twilight category in November when the final movie installment hits theaters? I wondered if Jacob was a stumper because the players didn't know the name or they didn't know the show well enough to realize first name alone would have been fine for that clue?

The DDs burned Dan's chance to steal the game from Penny. Orchid and Earth were too tough for me, so it was an unfortunate break for Dan to uncover them.

The FJ clue doesn't take long to solve when only three letters are needed. If the clue had asked how many sons FDR had I would have been guessing. Which Canadian province has Campobello? Another pick one. Asking for which president had a son born in Canada? I knew just enough to connect the dots.

In an ugly game like tonight's it will often favor the champ. Let the challengers hurt themselves. Sit back and take the lock. 24000 for the combined Coryat won't even make the top 5 for worst of the season by the time we get to game 230. There will be other games with a DD not revealed. For day 3 of the season the game was not the show's shining moment. Tomorrow has to be better.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:57 pm

Thumbs up to the contestants for TSing on that Twilight clue.

Jefferson and Adams did what now in 1826? I couldn't make heads or tails of that part of the clue, and was so confused that I don't remember if it asked anything else.

I had a lot of easy misses today, including Ian Fleming, Valentino, US News & World Report, Better Homes & Gardens.

Blue Devils seemed undervalued at $200, and NHO Devils Tower.

As soon as Michelle Obama started talking in super ultra slow motion, I knew we wouldn't clear the board. What I didn't expect was LTaM with half the damn board still in play. It didn't feel like they were playing that slowly. I mean, I've seen games with more TSes that still had the board cleared.

First thought was FDR, but I thought no way could it be that obvious. Also, this FJ! couldn't have had less TOM if it tried. Why the heck is Campobello so important?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:04 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Thumbs up to the contestants for TSing on that Twilight clue.

Jefferson and Adams did what now in 1826? I couldn't make heads or tails of that part of the clue, and was so confused that I don't remember if it asked anything else.

First thought was FDR, but I thought no way could it be that obvious. Also, this FJ! couldn't have had less TOM if it tried. Why the heck is Campobello so important?
Yes, clues that go unanswered should always be celebrated if we don't personally feel that the knowledge in question is worthwhile. Boo knowledge! Yay ignorance!

I don't remember the clue, but Jefferson and Adams both died on the same day. That 's what the clue was asking about.

And I already know the answer to this, but since FDR was your first thought on FJ!, and the TOM didn't give you any better answer, I assume you left it blank? Already in mid=season form, eh?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:05 pm

The category was about things that happened on the same day. Jefferson and Adams both died on July 4, 1826.

So just three days into the season and you have already clammed on an FJ you would have gotten right? I know you don't like to guess on FJ, but in a category with a limited number of responses, all of which you know, guessing can pay off.

Just three days into the season and I'm doing it again. Explaing strategy to someone who won't listen. :cry:

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:08 pm

Geez Bamaman, why don't you try an original thought? :lol:

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Bamaman wrote:The category was about things that happened on the same day. Jefferson and Adams both died on July 4, 1826.
And this is well known enough to be $400 material?
Bamaman wrote:So just three days into the season and you have already clammed on an FJ you would have gotten right? I know you don't like to guess on FJ, but in a category with a limited number of responses, all of which you know, guessing can pay off.
I tend to forget presidents easily. (And I'm hoping to forget the current one in due time.) I didn't see any possible TOM in the clue, so for all I know it could've been one of the ones you never hear much talk of, like Pierce or Polk. Hell, it could've been a foreign president, or president of a bank.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:46 pm

StevenH wrote:I would have gone TDD on the DD (weighing the earth) in the Physics category and missed. I felt bad for the male contestant on that one. The rest of the clues in that category were instant gets.

I went with Franklin Pierce on FJ, remembering that he was from New Hampshire. I figured that was probably too obscure to be a TOM for a FJ clue, but I had nothing else to go on. Patti Davis was my precall.

I agree, this was a painful game to watch.
You want to go obscure, my response was Chester Arthur because a political rival of his tried spreading the rumor he was born in Canada (thus ineligible to be vice president.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:The category was about things that happened on the same day. Jefferson and Adams both died on July 4, 1826.
It is around here.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:47 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
And overvalued at that level.

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:52 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:First thought was FDR, but I thought no way could it be that obvious. Also, this FJ! couldn't have had less TOM if it tried. Why the heck is Campobello so important?
5 sons? New Brunswick?

There's a difference between having no TOM and having TOM you don't follow.

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:53 pm

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
And overvalued at that level.
Yeah, this is Presidential Trivia 101 here.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:09 am

thenextofken wrote:On FJ, I had absolutely no idea. I went with Ford, since he went to University of Michigan and that state is next to Ontario.
Sigh. Just because Ontario and New Brunswick are in the same country, doesn't mean they're close (they're not even in the same time zone!) For example, the distance between Kenora, Ontario and Fredericton, New Brunswick (2112 km) is about the same as from Denver, Colorado to Toronto, Ontario (as the crow flies).
opusthepenguin wrote:
econgator wrote:
StevenH wrote:I went with Franklin Pierce on FJ, remembering that he was from New Hampshire.
I went with FDR because I knew he has a lot of kids. I've heard of Campobello, but had no clue where it was.

One of these days, people will learn the difference between a blimp and a zepplin: blimp=non-rigid, zepplin/dirigible=rigid.
No, a blimp is a dirigible as well. That designation simply refers to the fact that it can be steered (from Latin "dirigere", an ancestor of our word "direct"). This distinguishes all airships, whether rigid, semi-rigid, or non-rigid, from balloons. The genus for all lighter-than-air crafts, both dirigible and non, is "aerostat".

I blanked on "zeppelin" and said "airship". On a BMS, I think I would have said "rigid airship". I'm betting they were prepared for that, but I'm not sure which way the judgment would have gone.
Heh, and it was just today I noticed this article on mentalfloss.com (What's the Difference Between Blimp and Zeppelin). I already knew, so I didn't read the article. Still got the question right.
Bamaman wrote:I think Alex should have reminded them that the & was in quotation marks, might have helped.
For the first clue (which was a TS) he said "What is U. S. News and World Report". The "and" was definitely stressed. They usually don't give such overt reminders after the first TS, they usually wait for at least 3 clues to go south.
Volante wrote:You want to go obscure, my response was Chester Arthur because a political rival of his tried spreading the rumor he was born in Canada (thus ineligible to be vice president.)
Ah, so birthers at least have some historical kinfolk to relate to ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

earendel

Post by earendel » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:09 am

I must confess that I got the "Jacob" answer right away, along with a lot of Lach trash. I was surprised the young man, whose specialty was physics, didn't get the Cavendish clue. FJ took me a bit, but I remembered the movie Sunrise at Campobello and that gave me the answer (at first the only name I could think of was James Blaine (who was elected president in Harry Turtledove's alternate Civil War series).
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:52 am

Volante wrote:You want to go obscure, my response was Chester Arthur because a political rival of his tried spreading the rumor he was born in Canada (thus ineligible to be vice president.)
That crossed my mind, but I decided that it was a tad too obscure to be it. Plus I don't think of Arthur when I think of presidential potency. I ended up going for burly, manly Theodore Roosevelt, who only had four sons. (I figured that his adventurousness somehow led to the foreign birth of his child.)

Kinda reminded me of this early-in-its-season game. Edit: Earlier that week was another FJ to which FDR was the correct response, which I also missed. The category? PRESIDENTIAL ANCESTORS.

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 am

Wow, that was a rough couple of rounds. Congrats on the second win!
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:43 am

seaborgium wrote:Plus I don't think of Arthur when I think of presidential potency.
Now suddenly I want to see a category called POTENT POTENTATES. Should be a doddle to come up with 5 clues and a backup or two.

BobF

Post by BobF » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 am

thenextofken wrote:I can't remember the last time a round had so many clues remain hidden, besides Celebrity Jeopardy.
So you were fortunate enough to miss "Power Players Weak"[sic] :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

mennoknight

Post by mennoknight » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:53 am

Is it too early to nominate the response of "dreadlocks" on Leonardo's painting of Jesus for funniest of the year? I heard Leonardo just loved to blaze one up and paint the lord in totally new, mind-blowing ways.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:57 am

Last month, there was a story on Weekend Edition Sunday about how Campobello International Park is losing visitors because passports are required to enter Canada. Up until then, I'd always assumed Campobello was somewhere on the New England Coast. So when the FJ question came up, I figured FDR was a good guess, since I knew he had a residence in Canada.

Which is a good reason for anyone going on Jeopardy! to listen to NPR. You learn all kinds of things.

Sherm

Post by Sherm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:01 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
We just all take satisfaction in that we know this and Ken Jennings didn't.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2682

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:15 pm

BobF wrote:
thenextofken wrote:I can't remember the last time a round had so many clues remain hidden, besides Celebrity Jeopardy.
So you were fortunate enough to miss "Power Players Weak"[sic] :-)
Same thing, different name.