Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bunnymother
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bunnymother » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Oh! thanks

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:37 pm

Judy5cents wrote:Last month, there was a story on Weekend Edition Sunday about how Campobello International Park is losing visitors because passports are required to enter Canada. Up until then, I'd always assumed Campobello was somewhere on the New England Coast. So when the FJ question came up, I figured FDR was a good guess, since I knew he had a residence in Canada.

Which is a good reason for anyone going on Jeopardy! to listen to NPR. You learn all kinds of things.
I listened to that NPR report and still didn't make the connection...on the other hand, I never heard of Cavendish but "the Earth" seemed the only sensible response to the clue.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:40 pm

I believe this game does set a record for most unrevealed clues in a regular play round, with nine, breaking the record set by my second game (eight).

The Jeopardy! Round (with interviews) cost 11 minutes, 21 seconds of airtime. Kelly's 20-second Singapore travel plug left only 6 minutes, 5 seconds for Double Jeopardy! play (rounding to the nearest second). The full show was around 19 minutes, 23 seconds.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Glancing at some of the first season games in the archive, I saw several with six or seven unrevealed clues. I wouldn't be surprised if some early unarchived game hit double digits. Watching some of them on you yube, the audience clapped more often and Alex was way more chatty.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:02 pm

Despite the chattiness, my impression is that those games tore through clues much faster. This could be in part because of the lower maximum clue length (the TV screens couldn't accommodate as many words back then as they do today), but the average clue length might actually be the same, with the relatively recent proliferation of shorter clues that rely on wordplay or fit to the category. A lot of rounds nowadays have at least one category in which each clue has fewer than five words. I think that wasn't so much the case in the early days.

What really chews up time are (1) incorrect responses (triple stumpers especially) and (2) video clues.

Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by Volante » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Robert K S wrote:Despite the chattiness, my impression is that those games tore through clues much faster. This could be in part because of the lower maximum clue length (the TV screens couldn't accommodate as many words back then as they do today), but the average clue length might actually be the same, with the relatively recent proliferation of shorter clues that rely on wordplay or fit to the category. A lot of rounds nowadays have at least one category in which each clue has fewer than five words. I think that wasn't so much the case in the early days.

What really chews up time are (1) incorrect responses (triple stumpers especially) and (2) video clues.
Wonder if the runtime was longer back then too...19:30 is pretty short even by today's half hour standards; your average sitcom tends to run 22.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Bamaman wrote:Glancing at some of the first season games in the archive, I saw several with six or seven unrevealed clues. I wouldn't be surprised if some early unarchived game hit double digits. Watching some of them on you yube, the audience clapped more often and Alex was way more chatty.
Alex also did a spiel at the start of every round ("I must caution you about the Jeopardy"). I wonder how much time that ate up.

I'm actually told that they never cleared the board in Season 1.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:07 am

Volante wrote:Wonder if the runtime was longer back then too...19:30 is pretty short even by today's half hour standards; your average sitcom tends to run 22.
Back when I worked as a closed-captioner (1999-2005), the average prime-time network sitcom was actually running closer to 21:00. (If I recall correctly, ABC let their more "popular" sitcoms run 21:30, and the less popular ones run 20:30; when they aired, the more popular sitcoms would get an extra 30-second commercial and run in a 31-minute time slot, with the others getting one fewer commercial and being in a 29-minute time slot.)

The full runtime of an episode of J! does technically include the Midas plug, the Aleve plug, the plug in the middle of the break between DJ! and FJ!, the "promotional consideration" ads after FJ!, and the complete closing credits. Including all of those, I calculated this episode's runtime at 21:15, which seems reasonable.

I am a little bit surprised that J! never seems to take time out of the closing credits, but perhaps they've "guaranteed" their affiliates that the credits will be a certain minimum length, so that certain affiliates can always squeeze them back to do a promo for the news, or whatever.

KnitWit
Contributor

Post by KnitWit » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:19 pm

Having had a chance to watch this game, I had a much different reaction than when I played this game. Watching it, for me, bordered on painful. I can't believe how slow some of the game seems on tv, whereas most of the game felt fairly fast when we actually played it.

Thanks to zerobandwith for the congrats, and as for alietr...
alietr wrote:Sorry, Penny, but there was a lot of Lach trash to be had in this one. Besides, you're from East Meadow, so you are the Enemy (I'm a Lawrencian).
...are we even rivals? If there's one thing I never paid much attention to in high school, it was school rivalries. Too busy nerding out, I suppose :)

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:26 pm

KnitWit wrote:Having had a chance to watch this game, I had a much different reaction than when I played this game. Watching it, for me, bordered on painful. I can't believe how slow some of the game seems on tv, whereas most of the game felt fairly fast when we actually played it.

Thanks to zerobandwith for the congrats, and as for alietr...
alietr wrote:Sorry, Penny, but there was a lot of Lach trash to be had in this one. Besides, you're from East Meadow, so you are the Enemy (I'm a Lawrencian).
...are we even rivals? If there's one thing I never paid much attention to in high school, it was school rivalries. Too busy nerding out, I suppose :)
Well, we used to be back when my school was any good. That was a long, long time ago, however.

KnitWit
Contributor

Post by KnitWit » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:09 pm

I've been trying to embed this video with no luck, but I can post this url for any interested parties.

My prof from grad school alerted me to this clip. It looks like the 9/19/12 game has made a few appearances on the E! network recently. I can't seem to find a clip of it on Chelsea Lately, but they did a little thing on The Soup (look for the clip entitled "Not So Famous on 'Jeopardy!'").

http://www.thesouptv.com/

I will admit that, even though this is pretty silly, I giggled throughout. Wouldn't it be nice to have a second chance to buzz in? (For the sake of pacing, though, it probably would be best not to have a third, or twelfth, though!)

TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 pm

KnitWit wrote: My prof from grad school alerted me to this clip. It looks like the 9/19/12 game has made a few appearances on the E! network recently. I can't seem to find a clip of it on Chelsea Lately, but they did a little thing on The Soup (look for the clip entitled "Not So Famous on 'Jeopardy!'").

I will admit that, even though this is pretty silly, I giggled throughout. Wouldn't it be nice to have a second chance to buzz in? (For the sake of pacing, though, it probably would be best not to have a third, or twelfth, though!)
This gave me a great giggle. Thanks for posting Penny!

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:21 pm

KnitWit wrote:I've been trying to embed this video with no luck, but I can post this url for any interested parties.

My prof from grad school alerted me to this clip. It looks like the 9/19/12 game has made a few appearances on the E! network recently. I can't seem to find a clip of it on Chelsea Lately, but they did a little thing on The Soup (look for the clip entitled "Not So Famous on 'Jeopardy!'").

I'm pretty sure you can't embed thesouptv videos here. Only Youtube and maybe one or two others. But here's a link that goes to the actual video rather than just the main page:

http://www.thesouptv.com/clips/video/th ... rdy/196289

That's funny stuff.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:23 pm

That's correct; only Youtube videos can be embedded.