Thursday, September 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, September 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6444, 2012-09-27

CONTESTANTS
Katie Clair, an international student coordinator from Broad Brook, Connecticut
Erica Mines, a high school English teacher originally from Washington, D.C.
Mike Malaier, an attorney from Tacoma, Washington (whose 1-day cash winnings total $8,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Hello, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome again to our program. In life, there are different things that make us feel good about ourselves. I'll give you a recent example. On yesterday's program, Mike and his two opponents, I feel, were very proud of the fact that none of them was able to come up with a correct response in Final about Beavis and Butt-head.

[Laughter]

Alex: I think that made them feel good. Erica and Katie, welcome aboard. Good luck. Let's go to work, shall we? Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for the three of you and the folks at home who are playing along. And these are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DINING OUT IN NEW YORK (4/5)
3-LETTER WORDS (5/5)
APPLE PIE (4/5)
A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER (5/5)
THE CALIFORNIANS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ON SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE (0/2)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Erica: 8 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Katie: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Mike: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erica found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Mike had $600, Erica had $3,200, and Katie was at $2,200. Erica wagered $800.

THE CALIFORNIANS $600: Yo! (As in Yosemite!) This bro established a gnarly photography dept. at the Cali School of Fine Arts in 1946
(Alex: Erica?)
(Erica: [Shakes head])

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Erica: $2,400
Katie: $2,200
Mike: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Katie Clair is from Connecticut. And this young lady once held a pole vaulting record. I want to hear about that.

Katie: I did. Uh, my senior year in high school, they finally allowed girls to compete, so I decided that I wanted to try it. Um, I--in the competition, I went 5 feet, then 5 foot 6, but then I couldn't go any further.

Alex: Were you a little intimidated at first? I've often thought I would love to try pole vaulting, but I'd be afraid that I'd get halfway up, and then fall back.

Katie: That never happened. Actually, if you get a good running start, you shouldn't have that problem.

Alex: Oh, wait a minute. You have to run, too?

Katie: Yeah. [Laughs]

Alex: Oh, jeez. Well, that leaves me out.

Alex: Erica Mines, high school English teacher, originally from D.C. And your father holds a special honor?

Erica: He does. He was the first African-American to lead a presidential motorcade in an inaugural parade.

Alex: Hey, that's kind of neat. When did that happen? Who was the president?

Erica: That was President Clinton's second inauguration in 1997.

Alex: All right. Good for him. I'm sure he takes pride in that. That's nice.

Alex: Mike Malaier is our champion. He's from Tacoma, Washington, not Washington, D.C. Now you have a rather strange connection with someone who was infamous in Washington, D.C., right?

Mike: Yeah. It's--it's actually very scary. Uh, when I was in high school, uh, a van behind me told me to pull over. I had an awful beater for a car. And the guy got out and told me he smelled my--my gas leaking. So he got out his scrubs, and in the pouring rain, got under my car, fixed my car. And then I find out 15 years later, it was, uh, the D.C. sniper.

Alex: Ooh. Yikes. Yeah, indeed.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ON SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE $200: The uniquely coiffed Ed Grimley, played by this man, had a bit of an unhealthy fixation about Pat Sajak, I must say

DINING OUT IN NEW YORK $800: Sammy's Roumanian Steakhouse has pitchers of this liquid fat; the word can also mean "sentimentality"

THE CALIFORNIANS $1000: Like, for sure not a native, this "father of the H-bomb" totally helped create Lawrence Livermore Lab at UC Berkeley
(Mike: Who is Wernher von Braun?)
(Katie: Who is Oppenheimer?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Erica.)

APPLE PIE $600: This humorist's 1924 book "The Illiterate Digest" says, "I tell you folks, all politics is applesauce"
(Katie: Who is Fields?)

ON SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE $400: In 2009, as "Weekend Update" anchor, he reported the birth of a 19.2-pound baby; "My only question is, a baby what?"
(Katie: Who is Jimmy Fallon?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Erica: $4,200
Katie: $3,400
Mike: -$400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, September 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AMERICAN POETS & POETRY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FIRST FEMALE LEADERS (3/5) (Alex: We want you to name the country. We'll give you the...)
WORLD OF DANCE (1/3)
LOOK IN THE CABINET (4/5)
FIRST MUSIC, THEN A MOVIE (3/5)
"Y"s UP! (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Erica: 11 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Katie: 7 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Mike: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Katie snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Mike was in the hole with -$1,600, Erica had $5,800, and Katie was at $7,000. Katie wagered $1,500.

"Y"s UP! $1600: The saffron scourge is an old name for this infectious disease

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Erica who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Mike was in the hole with -$2,800, Erica had $17,000, and Katie was at $9,300. Erica wagered $2,000.

AMERICAN POETS & POETRY $2000: Title vessel referred to in the line, "Oh, better that her shattered hulk should sink beneath the wave"
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go now...)
(Erica: [No response])

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FIRST FEMALE LEADERS $1200: Prime Minister Kim Campbell
(1993)
(Mike: What is Australia?)

FIRST MUSIC, THEN A MOVIE $400: 1966: Percy Sledge
1994: Starring Meg Ryan
(Katie: What is Working Girl?)
(Alex: Meg wasn't in Working Girl.)

FIRST FEMALE LEADERS $2000: President Violeta Chamorro
(1990)
(Mike: What is Guam?)

FIRST MUSIC, THEN A MOVIE $2000: 1969: Led Zeppelin
1993: An ensemble including Matthew McConaughey

LOOK IN THE CABINET $800: In 1981 the Maritime Administration was transferred from Commerce to this Cabinet department
(Katie: What is Defense?)

AMERICAN POETS & POETRY $1200: "Candy is Dandy" is a collection of this humorist's best poetry
(Alex: "Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker", says [*].)

WORLD OF DANCE $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew joins some dancers inLesedi Cultural Village in South Africa.) The dance they're doing is a tribute and prayer to Modadji, the queen of this; legend says she lives in a lush green area in the midst of arid desert
(Katie: What is the oasis?)

WORLD OF DANCE $1200: Cole Porter told us what happens "When they begin" this Caribbean dance
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Erica: $15,000
Katie: $8,500
Mike: -$2,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PHRASE ORIGINS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Erica: Wager $2,001 to cover Katie.
Katie: You have the hope of surpassing Erica if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $8,500.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On February 22, 1918 Warren Harding said it is good to drink "at the fountains of wisdom inherited from" this alliterative group

FINAL SCORES
Katie: $8,500 - $7,000 = $1,500 (Who is are ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Erica: $15,000 + $3,000 = $18,000 (Who are the Founding Fathers?) (New champion: $18,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Erica: $17,800, 19 R, 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Katie: $8,600, 16 R (including 1 DD), 6 W
Mike: -$2,800, 5 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $23,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Erica: 20/60 = .333
Katie: 16/59 = .271
Mike: 5/58 = .086
Team: 41/63 = .651

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER $1000: Unlike Mr. Knievel, the van doesn't try to jump this river that forms part of the boundary between Idaho & Oregon
(Mike: What is the Columbia?)

"Y"s UP! $1200: Breed of the cute couple seen here

CORRECT RESPONSES
Ansel Adams
Martin Short
schmaltz
Edward Teller
Will Rogers
Seth Meyers
yellow fever
the U.S.S. Constitution ("Old Ironsides")
Canada
When a Man Loves a Woman
Nicaragua
Dazed and Confused
Transportation
Ogden Nash
the rain
the beguine
the Founding Fathers
the Snake
Yorkshire terriers

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, September 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:15 pm

Phrase Origins
On February 22, 1918 Warren Harding said it is good to drink "At the fountains of wisdom inherited from" this alliterative group.
Spoiler
Show
Who are the Founding Fathers? Katie had no guess.

Erica Mines: $15,000+$3,000=$18,000
Katie Clair: $8,500-$7,000=$1,500
Mike Malaier: (-$2,800)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Herbert Lom of the Pink Panther movies might not be J! material at this point, but Sons of Anarchy, the show on which Johnny Lewis, who died today, appears on, might be J! fodder.

TreehugginCowgirl
Best Self-Destruct Button

Post by TreehugginCowgirl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:50 pm

Whatever I had was apparently contagious, and Mike caught it. I was surprised. I expected him to go farther.

Ran poets and poetry, though the DD was a lucky guess. Dazed and Confused being a triple stumper just made me sad.

FJ stumped me, even with the help of the pause button. I got hung up on the date and was trying to think of something related to WWI.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:41 pm

All I could come up with was forefathers for the first 20 seconds or so. I knew that wasn't right and kept thinking and finally arrived at the correct response.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:59 pm

I ran poetry but overall this was a tough board for me.

I don't know how, but the correct response to FJ came to me after about 5 seconds. I am not sure that I could have pulled it under pressure.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:03 pm

I can't remember Mike's interview from his first day, which surprises the hell out of me because ... seriously?? - it was more interesting than the fact that the DC sniper was his "road knight"? Just seems to me that's the story Alex would want to get out there in case a contestant is a one-and-done.
Speaking of DC, way cool story from Erica.

Reluctantly went with "founding Fathers" for FJ but felt really uneasy about it. Kept trying to change it to something else, but came up with nothing better.
In all, just not a very interesting word origins revelation, if you ask me.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Paucle wrote:I can't remember Mike's interview from his first day, which surprises the hell out of me because ... seriously?? - it was more interesting than the fact that the DC sniper was his "road knight"? Just seems to me that's the story Alex would want to get out there in case a contestant is a one-and-done.
Speaking of DC, way cool story from Erica.
As a DC resident who went through the sniper incident, I couldn't disagree with you more (and may they both rot in hell). That was totally eerie and interesting. I don't know how he'd remember who it was after 15 years, however. But Erica's was pretty cool, too.

Tough, tough week on FJ's so far.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:24 pm

Yeah, how did he recognise someone 15 years later? I enjoyed her story, I wonder in what context he led the parade. Is he a cop, a military person, politician or what?

I got FJ, but it was one of those "This fits the clue, can't think of anything else and I'm not TPH so I'll write it down and see how it goes". Never would have guessed Warren Harding coined the term.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Bamaman wrote:Yeah, how did he recognise someone 15 years later? I enjoyed her story, I wonder in what context he led the parade. Is he a cop, a military person, politician or what?
I was under the impression he was a motorcycle cop. They tend to be first in motorcades.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:50 pm

Ran 3 Letters and "Y". Would've run Van by the River, but second-guessed myself and said "What is the Sn— Columbia?"

Once again, Ginsberg and Zuckerberg refuse to stick in my head. I know I've seen those names a million times, but every time their respective Pavlovs come up (beat poet and Facebook founder) I just draw a complete blank, because I keep thinking that it's a completely different name.

Someone got the wording of California for $1000? I know "father of the atomic bomb" was in the clue, but was stunned when it came out as Edward Teller. Even I know that Oppenheimer was "father of the atomic bomb", and wonder if maybe I missed a key word in the clue.

Apple Pie for $200 made me realize that I know literally nothing about Arthurian legend, except that maybe some guy named Arthur was involved.

Dining in New York was completely impenetrable. Nothing sounded remotely familiar in it. Again, why do I need to know all these fancy-pants places that serve $4,000 steaks the size of dimes? Or that "schmaltz" has another meaning besides "what I hear in Don Williams songs"?

Totally lost on FJ! Was so fixated on "fountains of wisdom" and trying to come up with some "wise" alliterative phrase, or even an opposite. "Warren Harding" seemed completely incidental to the clue.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:29 pm

Just finished watching this one and it hurt, actually hurt my heart. I've spent the rest of the summer thinking I lost to a player like Erin, fast and knowledgable, who was going to win multiple games. What on earth happened to Mike during lunch? Food poisoning at the commissary?? I owned these boards, playing from the fourth podium. All those clues left on the board, all that time wasted saying the complete name of the category, and for me FJ was an instaget. Ohhhh, I'm more disappointed now than I have been since I left California in July. I coulda been somebody, ya know? Not the stupid woman who wagered wrong several times and then couldn't get it together to bet correctly. !#@!

And no, I'm not proud I didn't know B&B; as a contestant, my job was to know something about everything. They genuinely NEVER occurred to me.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Wow, just brutal round to watch. Lots of Lach Trash for me tonight, including Teller and several other gettable clues. Yes, rather shocking that Mike tanked so bad, but I'll reserve my judgement about such reactions until I appear on the show. FJ was rather simple to me: President + alliterative phrase + quote led me quite naturally to the correct answer. The DJ board was about as anti-wheelhouse for me as you could get.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:42 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Someone got the wording of California for $1000? I know "father of the atomic bomb" was in the clue, but was stunned when it came out as Edward Teller. Even I know that Oppenheimer was "father of the atomic bomb", and wonder if maybe I missed a key word in the clue.
Father of the Atomic Bomb=Robert Oppenheimer
Father of the Hydrogen Bomb=Edward Teller
Father of the Neutron Bomb=Samuel Cohen
Father of the Islamic Bomb=Abdul Qadeer Khan
Father of the Constitution=James Madison
Father of the Nuclear Navy=Hyman G. Rickover
Father of the Modern Computer=Alan Turing
Father of the World Wide Web=Tim Berners-Lee (I didn't know Al Gore had a pseudonym.)
Father of the Bride=Spencer Tracy and/or Steve Martin, depending on your age and/or personal preference
Father of the Pride=short-lived computer animated primetime sitcom that aired in 2004 on NBC

No, TPH, you don't have to know all of these. I was just bored and playing around with Google's auto-complete.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:59 pm

jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Someone got the wording of California for $1000? I know "father of the atomic bomb" was in the clue, but was stunned when it came out as Edward Teller. Even I know that Oppenheimer was "father of the atomic bomb", and wonder if maybe I missed a key word in the clue.
Father of the Atomic Bomb=Robert Oppenheimer
Father of the Hydrogen Bomb=Edward Teller
Huh, I could swear it said Atomic in the clue.
jeff6286 wrote:Father of the Pride=short-lived computer animated primetime sitcom that aired in 2004 on NBC
I've seen about a billion DVDs of that at Big Lots.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

teapot37

Post by teapot37 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:28 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Father of the Pride=short-lived computer animated primetime sitcom that aired in 2004 on NBC
I've seen about a billion DVDs of that at Big Lots.
One of the writers on that show was 5-time champ Jonathan Groff. He was the alternate for my week 1 of the UToC, and he told us some stories during lunch about working with Carl Reiner.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:32 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Huh, I could swear it said Atomic in the clue.
The clue stated "Father of the H-bomb".

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:38 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:Totally lost on FJ! Was so fixated on "fountains of wisdom" and trying to come up with some "wise" alliterative phrase, or even an opposite. "Warren Harding" seemed completely incidental to the clue.
Would a contestant be more or less likely to think of a group from American history without a president's name in the clue?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:45 pm

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Totally lost on FJ! Was so fixated on "fountains of wisdom" and trying to come up with some "wise" alliterative phrase, or even an opposite. "Warren Harding" seemed completely incidental to the clue.
Would a contestant be more or less likely to think of a group from American history without a president's name in the clue?
Again, my mind doesn't work that way.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent