2012 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Medal Ceremony

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DadofTwins
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

2012 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Medal Ceremony

Post by DadofTwins »

First, the credits:

I must start by thanking the writing team. When I put out the call for help last May, the response was huge. Beyond what I though possible, really. To everyone who had an idea for a category, who submitted a category (or six, in one case), thank you for your help making this year's game go.

To those who played the game -- especially the ATB's and rookies -- this game is for you. For me, being on the Show was not so much a lark, or a nice fun things to do, but the realization of a childhood dream. I want to believe that I'm not the only one. And when I see so many folks with the same dream, I'm reminded I'm among my people. Thank you.

To the administrators of the board, and to those who have lined up to pay the costs, thank you for building a playground for my little hobby.

To MomofTwins and the girls, thank you for understanding why I would need to disappear for a while to write and research this game, especially in the middle of our Big Move.

This year's MVP is, without a doubt, rjaguar3. Building, securing space for, and maintaining the scoreboard made this year's game possible. In past years it has taken six of us about 10 hours per week to grade entries and compile the scores. Rjaguar3 turned that into one guy and a machine taking care of it all. The contribution of rjaguar3 and his machine cannot be overstated. Well done.

Now, on to the results.

In places 17 - 6:

267 mujason
269 Paucle
313 Woof
323 billy pilgrim
327 demomoke
337 OrangeSAM
342 nlw44
343 TomKBaltimoreBoy
345 SwanShadow
362 peggles
362 cbec
363 sherder

In fifth place, with a score of 372, in his first SHC TOC (and, for that matter, first ever SHC), nfogarty.

Fourth place, with a score of 383, goes to SHC veteran, top-flight ATB and all-around good egg cinemaniax7.

No bronze medal this year because we have a tie for silver. But these two have tied before, so they're used to it by now. With a score of 406, DJDaveMick and Schliemann.

And the overall champion, an SHC Rookie and an ATB. If this person ever gets on the show, sell your Sony stock, because they're going to write a large check. With an SHC TOC Perfecto of 450 (seriously, I don't think that has ever happened before), lemonsun. Lemonsun becomes the fifth player in eight seasons to earn a lifetime exemption to all future SHC TOC's.

Well, that wraps up this year's Summer Hiatus Challenge. I'll be seeing you around the boards this season, moreso than the past few years since I have Internet access at home now. Thanks for playing, and I hope to see you soon.

-DoT
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: 2012 Summer Hiatus Challenge -- Medal Ceremony

Post by StevenH »

Big thanks to DoT for another SHC! Embarrassing myself was a blast, as always!

Big thanks to rjaguar, all the writers, and anyone else who helped run it this year!

And congrats to all the ToCers!
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

DoT, this was the best SHC yet, and not just because I finally made a respectable showing in the ToC. The writing was better than ever and the subjects more varied, even as your team achieved a more optimal level of difficulty with the material — not too hard, not too easy. And the scoring ran more smoothly than ever, too. An all-around good showing! Kudos to everyone involved.

Gotta love the J! Board! (And its Tuvalu domain name.)
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Thank you DoT - great ToC. Big thanks to rjaguar for undertaking the herculean task of scoring. Looking forward to next summer.

Oh, and Rex? Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah!
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Big-time props and thanks to DadofTwins for mounting this eagerly anticipated summer spectacular for yet another season.

Thanks also to rjaguar and everyone else who pitched in one way or another to make it all go.

And congrats to my fellow SHC ToCers... especially those who finished ahead of me. :oops:

One of these years, I'm gonna win this thing. Obviously, that year is not this one. :D
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Many, many thanks to DoT for the Herculean task of running this thing, and additional thanks to rjaguar for not only volunteering to score it, but to do so so well and in such timely fashion. Great boards, so kudos to all involved. And I personally am thrilled merely to be on the same virtual podium with so many J! (and Jboard) legends.
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

Thanks, DoT, for another great SHC season. It will be nice to see you around here more regularly.

Grats to the podiumites!
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Many thanks to DoT and rjaguar for an entertaining and educational SHC. I was surprised to make the TOC, and even moreso that I didn't finish last. Well done players, especially the winners. HUZZAH!
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Whoo! Another great year of the SHC I've been enjoying since 2007 (I've been playing along without an account for 5 years) Thanks DoT for another great year!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The summer treat was executed very well. Applause all around for everyone involved. My goals were met with a 75, first entry, sole plausible wrong answer and top 50.
DJDaveMick
Valued Contributor

Post by DJDaveMick »

Thank you to all involved with this. It's always a great contest of brain power. But a special congrats to lemonsun on his SHC TOC perfecto--a real force to reckon with.
Thanks again for this year, and looking forward to it next year! :)
nfogarty
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by nfogarty »

A big thanks to DadofTwins, rjaguar3 and all the other responsible parties for putting this shindig together this summer. Thanks for making a rookie feel welcome! And a hearty congratulations to lemonsun!
Neville Fogarty
Back to School Week 2000
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

So who exactly is lemonsun? Should I be watching for him/her on the show? Or is this the screen name for someone who has already won several games and the J! ToC?
lemonsun
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lemonsun »

cinemaniax7 wrote:So who exactly is lemonsun? Should I be watching for him/her on the show? Or is this the screen name for someone who has already won several games and the J! ToC?
I can honestly state that I have never appeared on Jeopardy! in my life. If that were so, I wouldn't be in the ATB category.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

cinemaniax7 wrote:DoT, this was the best SHC yet, and not just because I finally made a respectable showing in the ToC. The writing was better than ever and the subjects more varied, even as your team achieved a more optimal level of difficulty with the material — not too hard, not too easy. And the scoring ran more smoothly than ever, too. An all-around good showing! Kudos to everyone involved.

Gotta love the J! Board! (And its Tuvalu domain name.)
Yes, special props and thanks to Willy Telavi, too, without whom, this would not be possible!

Agreed that rjagular is the biggest unsung hero today.

And, I hope lemonsun does get on the show (not being a Sony stockholder and all) - I'd say "as long as he's not up against me", but since we're both boardies, I don't even have to worry about that!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Thanks DoT, rjaguar, and all the other writers as well!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ahirbhairav wrote:Whoo! Another great year of the SHC I've been enjoying since 2007 (I've been playing along without an account for 5 years) Thanks DoT for another great year!
OK, I'll bite:

You were five years old when you followed along with the SHC? May I also assume that you had high-eschelon scores every week too (not to mention going 8/8 every week in Mark's weekly FJ poll?)

It would explain why you had so much to say in your first two weeks with us, what with following along silently for 5 years not being able to say a word! I'm sure you must have been itching to get an account all that time!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

All right, David! I've been playing since I was 5 when I stumbled upon a rerun of J and became fascinated, and yes, I was itching to get an account.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Thanks, DoT for all of the effort you've put in and as well as rjaguar3 for greatly expediting the scoring. I found this year's especially enjoyable because the editing seemed much better and the scores were posted promptly.

As for LemonSun, be very afraid of someone who can beat Schlie. Congrats to all of the top finishers as well. Well done!
cbec
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by cbec »

Many many thanks to Dad of Twins and all the clue writers for a very enjoyable SHC! And huge props to rjaguar3 for keeping us all up-to-date on the scores, as well.

congrats to lemonsun for a well-earned victory, and to all the TOCers.

Looking forward to SHC 2013!