Tuesday, October 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6447, 2012-10-02

CONTESTANTS
Sara Lehmann, a retail sales associate from Albuquerque, New Mexico
Daniel Pasquini-Salazar, a non-profit project coordinator from Chicago, Illinois
Joanna Mang, a nanny from San Diego, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $24,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. You would think that after hosting this show for as many years as I have that I would know better than to worry a great deal about a contestant who gets off to a slow start. But that was the case yesterday with Joanna, our champion. She started slowly, but then found categories she liked in the Double Jeopardy! Round, got a rhythm going, and won a very impressive $24,600. What'll happen today against Daniel and Sara? Let's begin finding out. Good luck. Here we go. The categories for the first round of play today are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FAN MAIL TO HISTORIC FIGURES (4/5)
WHATCHAMACALLIT (4/5)
POLITICAL TERMS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SAME SPELLING, DIFFERENT SOUND (2/3)
THE WALKING DEAD (5/5)
WHERE IS CARL?! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sara: 9 R, 0 W
Joanna: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Daniel: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joanna found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Joanna had $600, Daniel had $400, and Sara had nothing in the bank. Joanna made it a True Daily Double, wagering $600.

POLITICAL TERMS $400: While scrambling eggs for her kids, Congresswoman Pat Schroeder got the idea of calling Reagan this "President"
(Joanna: Uh, the sunrise president?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Joanna: $1,400
Daniel: $600
Sara: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Art comes in many different forms, and this young lady knows all about that. Her name is Sara Lehmann, and she works in what medium?

Sara: Paper bags.

Alex: What kind of bags--grocery bags?

Sara: Um, like the little, like, sandwich-style bags.

Alex: Oh, plastic.

Sara: I have--no, the paper ones.

Alex: Oh.

Sara: To make puppets, like hand puppets like in the Fandango commercials, only mine are cooler.

Alex: Yours are cooler? Okay, good.

Alex: Daniel Pasquini-Salazar from Chicago, Illinois. Yesterday on the program, we were talking about how people got together. Where did you meet your wife?

Daniel: I was in the Peace Corps in Costa Rica, and I was in a concession stand at 9:00 in the morning selling beer. What we do is we work with the town council in the rural areas, and we're raising funds for our projects, and a lot of times we invite some of the, uh, the towns around to play soccer and have a few beers and get some funds, and I saw just a gorgeous girl, uh, my wife, Ingrid, now. Um, I saw her profile, and I said, "I got to flirt with this girl." And I asked her, y'know, if she's watching her boyfriend playing soccer. She said, "No, I'm watching my brother," and so I bet her if our team won, she'd have to buy me an ice cream. If their team won, I'd buy her an ice cream, so we were guaranteed to see each other again.

Alex: And you're together now.

Daniel: Yeah.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Joanna Mang is our champion. She and a friend of hers are big fans of...?

Joanna: Ken Jennings. Hi, Ken.

[Laughter]

Joanna: Um, we joked that, um, we should start a fan club called the Ken Dolls, and when I found out I was coming on Jeopardy!, I made t-shirts.

Alex: It's up there right now.

Joanna: And on the back it says "I for one welcome our new nerd overlords."

[Laughs]

Alex: Good for you.

Joanna: And I do.

Alex: All righty.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FAN MAIL TO HISTORIC FIGURES $1000: You got the Eastern Roman Empire to pay a ton of gold per year! Will you speak to our "Scourge of God" fan club?
(Daniel: Who is Constantine?)

POLITICAL TERMS $1000: Folks in this job are called the "Boys on the Bus" after a book that documented the 1972 presidential campaign

WHERE IS CARL?! $1000: At Odin Express--Carl's not a Norse god, he's on one of the rides at this Copenhagen amusement park

WHATCHAMACALLIT $1000: Hey cowboy! This term for the small spiked wheel on the end of a spur is from the Latin for "wheel"

SAME SPELLING, DIFFERENT SOUND $400: Trash;
to decline to accept

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sara: $5,000
Joanna: $2,800
Daniel: $1,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALPHABETICALLY FIRST (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MY SON, THE ARTIST (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HIGH-SCORING SCRABBLE WORDS (5/5) (Alex: Each word will be 7 letters long.)
WHOSE ALBUM? (5/5)
CLASSICAL LITERATURE (4/5)
BE A LIZARD WIZARD (3/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sara: 15 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Joanna: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Daniel: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sara snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Joanna had $2,000, Daniel had $1,800, and Sara was at $9,000. Sara wagered $5,000.

ALPHABETICALLY FIRST $2000: Of permanent UN Security Council members

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sara who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Joanna had $2,000, Daniel had $1,800, and Sara was at $14,000. Sara wagered $5,000.

MY SON, THE ARTIST $2000: This German artist studied under his father, the elder, & later became court painter to Henry VIII

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CLASSICAL LITERATURE $1200: This general's "Commentaries" were reports to the Romans about his campaigns in Gaul & the Civil War
(Daniel: Who is... Agrippa?)
(Sara: Who is Virgil?)
(Alex: You should have gone for the most obvious. Who is [*]?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sara: $29,800 (lock game)
Joanna: $7,200
Daniel: $2,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: [To Sara] And you're up $29,800. You've owned this game.

[Sara laughs.]

Alex: By golly. You could wind up with $59,600 depending on your wager and your response in Final Jeopardy!, in which the category today is...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMILIAR PHRASES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Sara: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $15,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Joanna: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Daniel: You've no hope of catching up... unless Joanna does something stupid. So risk $2,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
OED's earliest citation of this 5-word phrase is "Now, Monsieur Poirot, you would without doubt like to visit" this place

FINAL SCORES
Daniel: $2,200 - $2,199 = $1 (What is the Bathroom?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Joanna: $7,200 + $7,200 = $14,400 (What is the scene of the crime) (2nd place: $2,000)
Sara: $29,800 - $5,000 = $24,800 (What is i have no [partial mark]) (New champion: $24,800)
(Alex: [To Daniel] That's two words, not five.)
(Alex: [To Joanna] You are absolutely right, that's the title of the following chapter in that book.)
(Alex: [To Sara] I'm not sure she did well in this Final, she could not, but...)
(Sara: Just as soon as it stopped, [gestures at her head], like, oh!)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sara: $23,800, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Joanna: $7,800, 14 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Daniel: $2,200, 11 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $33,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Sara: 24/60 = .400
Joanna: 15/59 = .254
Daniel: 11/58 = .190
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
POLITICAL TERMS $200: To test public reaction to some controversial idea, politicians may send up a "trial" one of these
(Daniel: What's a poll?)

WHATCHAMACALLIT $600: You're ready for a home project with a whole set of this tool that includes a trademark name

SAME SPELLING, DIFFERENT SOUND $600: Intentional;
to consider, as a jury
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

ALPHABETICALLY FIRST $400: Of branches of the United States military
(Joanna: What is the Army?)

ALPHABETICALLY FIRST $1200: Of Hogwarts' 4 houses
[Sara pauses before responding correctly]
(Alex: Was that the only one you could think of?)
[Audience laughs with Sara]
(Sara: No, I was thinking of mine first!)

ALPHABETICALLY FIRST $1600: Of the 3 films that starred James Dean
(Daniel: What is A Rebel Without a Cause?)
(Joanna: What is Giant?)
(Alex: And Daniel, I do--uh, we ruled against you because it's not A Rebel Without a Cause, it's Rebel Without a Cause.)

CLASSICAL LITERATURE $1600: Both Euripedes & Sophocles wrote tragedies about this woman known for her devotion to her father Agamemnon
(Daniel: Who is Helen of Troy?)

HIGH-SCORING SCRABBLE WORDS $1200: The name of this wife of Ahab has come to mean an evil or scheming woman
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

HIGH-SCORING SCRABBLE WORDS $2000: Posed a series of oral or written questions
(Alex: [*], yes, we're using a blank tile in that one; there's only one Z in the game.)

BE A LIZARD WIZARD $400: Special adaptations on the pads of their toes allow this type of little lizard to walk on walls, as seen here

BE A LIZARD WIZARD $1200: Types of lizards include the Bearded this & the Komodo this
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Teflon president
Attila the Hun
reporters
Tivoli Gardens
a rowel
refuse
China
Hans Holbein the Younger
Julius Caesar
the scene of the crime
a balloon
Allen wrenches
deliberate
the Air Force
Gryffindor
East of Eden
Electra
Jezebel
quizzed
the gecko
a dragon

ahirbhairav

Re: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ahirbhairav » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:04 pm

hopefully there'll be a category about Rick Riordan or Mahatma Gandhi (Riordan has a new book out today & Mahatma Gandhi's birthday is today)

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 pm

Familiar Phrases
OED's earliest citation of this 5-word phrase is "Now, Monsieur Poirot, you would without doubt like to visit" this place.
SpoilerShow
What is "the scene of the crime"? Daniel said "the Bathroom"; Sarah said "I have no...[idea]"
Sara Lehmann: $29,800-$5,000=$24,800...now a 1-day champion with $24,800
Joanna Mang: $7,200+$7,200=$14,400
Daniel Pasquini-Salazar: $2,200-$2,199=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Wow, wasn't that a masterful performance by Sara? I loved her personality and playing style, well done, her! And I got a HUGE kick out of Joanna's interview, especially the shirts. Sara seemed to be totally dominating the buzzer, but Joanna snuck in there with some good gets. Daniel . . . well, he seemed awfully frustrated by the entire show, and that golf clap he offered at Sara's DD spoke volumes to me. That seemed like a really awkward signaling style he went with: palm up. Looked like he was about to do a few curls with the signaling device! You go with what's comfortable, but against two buzzsaws like that, nothing was working.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:29 pm

Not in a billion years would I have gotten FJ. It's just such a common phrase, I find it hard to believe that it didn't come about until the 20's or so.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:29 pm

0/5 in Fan Mail. Couldn't piece any of them together.

Political Terms seemed mixed up. "Pork barrel" seems a lot more well-known to me than "trial balloon" (?!?) or especially "Teflon president". (Also figures that just after I neg on "cross the aisle" by saying "cross the floor", "aisle" turns up in a commercial right before DJ!)

Hands up — who else blurted out Army and totally forgot about Air Force?

I knew Fleetwood Mac, The Who, and Aerosmith in Albums, but couldn't get them to my mouth in time. Also blanked on Picasso.

Jezebel kept me from the run in Scrabble.

I had nothing on FJ! I wouldn't think of one "visiting" the scene of the crime, since "visit" to me implies someplace you want to go, like a vacation spot. Wouldn't have gotten there if you'd given me "crime". And I've barely ever heard that phrase anyway.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:0/5 in Fan Mail. Couldn't piece any of them together.

Political Terms seemed mixed up. "Pork barrel" seems a lot more well-known to me than "trial balloon" (?!?) or especially "Teflon president".
Teflon president may be one of those you had to be around in the 1980s to get.

I had nothing on FJ! I wouldn't think of one "visiting" the scene of the crime, since "visit" to me implies someplace you want to go, like a vacation spot. Wouldn't have gotten there if you'd given me "crime". And I've barely ever heard that phrase anyway.

Poroit was a detective, so that's why he would want to visit the scene of the crime.

(I've never ead a Chrisitie book, so if he is not technically a detective, please forgive me),

I missed FJ as well. I got Murder on the Orient Express in my head and kept trying to think of other book titles that might fit.

I didn't know Caesar, but when alex said "You should have gone....", I knew he was about to say "the obvious" before someone else buzzed in and got it on the rebound.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:35 pm

Case wrote:Wow, wasn't that a masterful performance by Sara? I loved her personality and playing style, well done, her! And I got a HUGE kick out of Joanna's interview, especially the shirts. Sara seemed to be totally dominating the buzzer, but Joanna snuck in there with some good gets. Daniel . . . well, he seemed awfully frustrated by the entire show, and that golf clap he offered at Sara's DD spoke volumes to me. That seemed like a really awkward signaling style he went with: palm up. Looked like he was about to do a few curls with the signaling device! You go with what's comfortable, but against two buzzsaws like that, nothing was working.
Yeah, and I thought that FJ answer of "bathroom" came off as a little snotty, for some reason. It did not help that he thought Constantine, who Christianized the Roman Empire, would have been the "Scourge of God."

I enjoy watching a good ass-kicking, the winner bet strong and it paid off, and just seemed to know more. My only quibble is that you've got to go for that $2000 in Lizards and really run up the score if you want to get good position in the BCS standings. This show's never going to get a good villain.

I, BTW, had no idea on FJ, "place" made me think of a geographic locale, so I said "Paris in the springtime," which isn't even five words, after trying to fumble through Egypt, the Orient Express, and Styles. Perhaps if it was "location" instead it might have been more gettable? So a very nice get by the runner up.

BTW were there specific instructions for the Scrabble category? I said "queried" for the bottom one, which otherwise fits and isn't some cheat that uses a blank tile, but if Alex said it needed a "q" and a "z" then I can understand how you'd be more obviously directed toward "quizzed."

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:39 pm

Bamaman wrote:Poroit was a detective, so that's why he would want to visit the scene of the crime.
If I remember rightly, he is private detective in the books. Although he was, for some time, in the Belgian police force, I think he had since retired by the time the books came around.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks. I didn't know if he was a cop, a private eye or just one of those Jessica fletcher types that stumbles onto murders and solves them.

Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Case wrote:Daniel . . . well, he seemed awfully frustrated by the entire show, and that golf clap he offered at Sara's DD spoke volumes to me. That seemed like a really awkward signaling style he went with: palm up. Looked like he was about to do a few curls with the signaling device! You go with what's comfortable, but against two buzzsaws like that, nothing was working.
I sat next to Daniel during the first show taping, and let's just say that he thought he was going to do VERY well. He didn't seem to respect Sara personally, and you could just see him getting madder and madder as the show went on. After the show, he was pretty angry that he hadn't done better. I thought to myself, "well, you shouldn't have underestimated your opponents so much!" But he was a really smart guy, and it IS super frustrating to know the answers and get beat on the buzzer.

Sarah was a bunch of fun, and we were all a little disappointed that viewers didn't get to know the true nature of her job (she works at an adult entertainment store!). She had lots of great stories that did not make the cut... :twisted:

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:52 pm

Dr. J wrote:
Case wrote:Daniel . . . well, he seemed awfully frustrated by the entire show, and that golf clap he offered at Sara's DD spoke volumes to me. That seemed like a really awkward signaling style he went with: palm up. Looked like he was about to do a few curls with the signaling device! You go with what's comfortable, but against two buzzsaws like that, nothing was working.
I sat next to Daniel during the first show taping, and let's just say that he thought he was going to do VERY well. He didn't seem to respect Sara personally, and you could just see him getting madder and madder as the show went on. After the show, he was pretty angry that he hadn't done better. I thought to myself, "well, you shouldn't have underestimated your opponents so much!" But he was a really smart guy, and it IS super frustrating to know the answers and get beat on the buzzer.

Sarah was a bunch of fun, and we were all a little disappointed that viewers didn't get to know the true nature of her job (she works at an adult entertainment store!). She had lots of great stories that did not make the cut... :twisted:
Yeah, well, he knows enough to have heard of Marcus Agrippa, but when given "Gaul" and "Commentaries" he can't get to Julius Freakus Caesar? I think he overestimated himself.

Fishercat

Post by Fishercat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:02 pm

Fun episode. My worst coryat of the season, but the clues seemed in line, Sara was a blast, and the Ken Dolls story should have been a Day One pick.

Wish Alex would tone down the talking a bit so we could finish out categories.

I think I would have to know Poirot, which was a hole in my knowledge, went for the belly of the beast or something.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:08 pm

Aarrgghh!!

In hindsight, that should have been very gettable. I have been a big fan of Poirot since I was a teen, and have read several of AC's books featuring him.

Instead, I'm 0 for 2 this week so far.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

waterytart
Contributor

Post by waterytart » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Daniel was clearly surprised by the result of that game. I could feel it radiating off of him. I thought I caught a whiff of some sexist undertones there, too.

I have to say I'm flabbergasted with the Twitterverse's response to Sara right now. I was reading it last night and laughing with my husband at all the people poking fun at how we met. It was pretty lighthearted, or your standard mock-the-Jeopardy-nerds fare. But the stuff about Sara's appearance, and the violent threats? Unbelievable. It's really upsetting. She played a great game and she was lightning on the buzzer. I wasn't even upset losing to her. I was like, wow!

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Guess I'm surprised by all the FJ misses. I was writing it down even as Alex droned on.
I wonder if Joanna, member of the Ken Dolls, realizes her total today loses to Nancy Zerg's Ken-defeating total by one dollar?
Fishercat wrote:Sara was a blast, and the Ken Dolls story should have been a Day One pick.
Dittos all around!

waterytart
Contributor

Post by waterytart » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:13 pm

Ugh, Teflon President. I'm such a political nut, but apparently not when it comes to terms that were coined before I started preschool. That one's sticking in my craw.

waterytart
Contributor

Post by waterytart » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Paucle wrote:I wonder if Joanna, member of the Ken Dolls, realizes her total today loses to Nancy Zerg's Ken-defeating total by one dollar?
I did not know that!

Case
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Case » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:29 pm

I didn't want to leap to conclusions based on an edited television show, but these comments about Daniel are very believable based on his expressions and body language. Kind of ties into my own impression, but hearing from those who were in the green room with him definitely get a lot of weight with me.
waterytart wrote:I have to say I'm flabbergasted with the Twitterverse's response to Sara right now. I was reading it last night and laughing with my husband at all the people poking fun at how we met. It was pretty lighthearted, or your standard mock-the-Jeopardy-nerds fare. But the stuff about Sara's appearance, and the violent threats? Unbelievable. It's really upsetting. She played a great game and she was lightning on the buzzer. I wasn't even upset losing to her. I was like, wow!
The twitterverse comments on this? I didn't realize; now I have to Google to see what they had to say about my game last week.