Thursday, October 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6449, 2012-10-04

CONTESTANTS
Margaret Minett-Longdon, a healthcare worker from Winnebago, Illinois
Brendan O'Connor, an Internet security engineer from San Francisco, California
Erik Dresner, an Internet marketer from Elmhurst, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I am often asked, "What do you and the contestants talk about at the end of each program when the credits are rolling by in front of the screen?" Well, let me tell you about yesterday. Our Final Jeopardy!, you'll recall, had Nixon in China, the modern opera, as the correct response. Well, a few days ago when Erik was flying from New York to Los Angeles to be a contestant on our program, he happened to pick up a magazine that had an article all about Nixon in China. Coincidence. So the lesson here, of course, is when you're flying cross-country, read as many magazines as possible. You never know. Brendan and Margaret, welcome aboard and good luck to you as we put you to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories. First...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE STOCK MARKET (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
BULLS & BEARS (4/5)
A VOWEL OF SILENCE (5/5)
WE GOVERNED THAT STATE (2/2)
ROCKTOBER (4/5)
LIFE ON THE MEKONG (3/5) (Kelly: A fascinating journey along Southeast Asia's mightiest river.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brendan: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Erik: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Margaret: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Erik: $2,400
Brendan: $600
Margaret: -$400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Margaret Minett-Longdon from Winnebago, Illinois. Tell me about your five kids and their birthdays and how you guys celebrate.

Margaret: Well, um, on one day of the year, all my kids are consecutive ages. Uh, we did this by having two kids 17 months apart and then twins on different days of the year, and then another one 22 months later, so on the first twin's birthday this last March 12th, they were 17, 18, 19, 20, and 21.

Alex: Wow. All right.

Alex: Brendan O'Connor. Internet security engineer from San Francisco. And a romantic sort. He took his fiancée to...?

Brendan: To Bora-Bora.

Alex: For?

Brendan: It was just a romantic two weeks in Bora-Bora, and it was fantastic for the first 12 days, and then we got caught in a hurricane and spent the final two days hunkered down in the lobby--the floor of the lobby, so...

Alex: That--hat could be romantic except for the fact that you were there with about 80 or 90 other people, right?

Brendan: And the mosquitoes.

Alex: And--oh, the mosquitoes. Okay. Good.

Alex: Erik Dresner is our champion. He's an Internet marketer from elmhurst, New York, and he's in a band. What's it called?

Erik: Yes, the name of the band is Lead Singer and the Backup Band, and I have only--I am the only member of that band.

Alex: So you're the lead singer and the backup?

Erik: Yes.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erik found the Daily Double on the 12th clue. Erik had $2,400, Brendan had $600, and Margaret had a deficit with -$400. Erik made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,400.

THE STOCK MARKET $1000: The world's fourth-largest public company according to Forbes, it is traded in Amsterdam
(Erik: What is Amstel?)
(Alex: No, you had to think the oil industry--[*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BULLS & BEARS $1000: In the late 1960s this Chicago Bulls mascot became the first mascot to roam the sidelines of an NBA game

LIFE ON THE MEKONG $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reads with two cart-yoked ungulates from Vietnam.) As in many parts of the world, male bovines are used as draft animals and called by this general term; they may not look very fast, but a race run between these animals is an annual Mekong Delta event

THE STOCK MARKET $400: Sony Corporation has the code 6758 on this foreign exchange
(Brendan: What is the Nikkei?)

THE STOCK MARKET $600: "ED" is the symbol of this, the longest-listed NYSE stock

ROCKTOBER $1000: Booing heard during his Oct. 15, 1971 performance at MSG inspired this ex-teen idol to write the song "Garden Party"
[Alex reads "MSG" in the clue as "Madison Square Garden.]
(Alex: Less than a minute to go, now, Brendan.)

LIFE ON THE MEKONG $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from a temple courtyard in Cambodia.) Originally built to house the earthly remains of the Buddha & his associates, these commemorative monuments that house relics or saintly remains can be seen all along the Mekong
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brendan: $5,600
Erik: $1,600
Margaret: $0
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LIKE A VESTAL VIRGIN (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TV ATTORNEYS (2/2)
JACQUES OF ALL TRADES (3/5)
SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES (1/5)
SNAG A RAM WITH ANAGRAMS (3/5)
"A" THERE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Margaret: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Brendan: 6 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Erik: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 9
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Margaret snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Erik had $2,800, Brendan had $5,200, and Margaret was at $2,000. Margaret made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,000.

"A" THERE $2000: From the Arabic for "the islands", this African city is capital of a country with a similar name
(Alex: Margaret?)
(Margaret: I don't know.)
(Alex: Did you forget the category?)
(Margaret: No.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brendan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 15th clue. Erik had $3,600, Brendan had $7,600, and Margaret was at $400. Brendan wagered $1,600.

LIKE A VESTAL VIRGIN $1600: The Vestal virgins received the wills of dignitaries, like this man who died in 30 B.C. & requested to be buried in Egypt

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES $800: "A Scandal in" this European kingdom

LIKE A VESTAL VIRGIN $800: The Vestalia Festival ended when the temple was swept; the sweepings were often cast into this river
(Margaret: What is the Ganges?)

SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES $1200: This "League" of gingers
(Brendan: What is "The Red-Haired League"?)

SNAG A RAM WITH ANAGRAMS $1200: "HEY DOG, RUN!" appropriately anagrams to this breed

SNAG A RAM WITH ANAGRAMS $1600: Runway star who "ELUDES ROMP"

JACQUES OF ALL TRADES $1600: Last name of French papermaking brothers Jacques & Joseph, who pioneered the hot air balloon

JACQUES OF ALL TRADES $2000: A musical revue of this singer-songwriter's works was called this man "Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris"

SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES $1600: "The Adventure of" these men seen in a cipher from the story

SHERLOCK HOLMES STORIES $2000: This many "Orange Pips"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brendan: $8,800
Margaret: $5,600
Erik: $2,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
(Before the Final Jeopardy! Round, the Clue Crew plugs the travel sponsor.)
Kelly: The Clue Crew and Lindblad Expeditions travel the world for all sorts of experiences.

Jimmy: Sail the Mekong.

Sarah: Explore the wonder of Alaska.

Kelly: And go places few people ever get to go.

Jimmy: With the expertise of the Lindblad staff, you'll experience the trip of a lifetime.

Sarah: Go to expeditions.com for details.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Brendan: Wager $2,401 to cover Margaret, but no more than $4,799 so as not to fall behind Erik's doubled score.
Margaret: You have the hope of surpassing Brendan if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $3,201 to force Brendan to wager to win; but if you're intent on holding on to second place, wager no more than $1,599 to protect your second place position from being usurped by Erik.
Erik: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1890 he captained the stern-wheeler Roi des Belges on a voyage down the Congo River

FINAL SCORES
Erik: $2,000 + $2,000 = $4,000 (Who is Conrad) (3rd place: $1,000)
Margaret: $5,600 + $3,200 = $8,800 (Who Joseph Condrad? Conrad?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Brendan: $8,800 + $2,401 = $11,201 (Who is joseph Conrad?) (New champion: $11,201)
(Alex: [To Erik] You were thinking of [*] and Heart of Darkness. He wrote that as a result of traveling down the Congo River.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brendan: $8,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Margaret: $7,600, 9 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Erik: $4,400, 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $20,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Brendan: 17/59 = .288
Erik: 13/59 = .220
Margaret: 10/59 = .169
Team: 40/63 = .635

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BULLS & BEARS $200: The Pleiades & the Hyades, both galactic clusters, can be found in this constellation
(Margaret: What is the little bear?)

LIFE ON THE MEKONG $400: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from a fish farm facility in Vietnam.) One of the world's largest freshwater aquaculture industries is Mekong River farming for this fish; at over 600 pounds, the giant type may be the largest fish ever caught in freshwater

THE STOCK MARKET $200: London stock exchange prices are mainly quoted in this currency
(Margaret: What is euro?)

LIFE ON THE MEKONG $600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from a workshop where women work bundles of wood.) A key part of Mekong's life & economy is this type of palm that's best known for making wicker-like furniture; there may be a boom coming as scientists have found a way to make it into artificial bone

LIFE ON THE MEKONG $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from a boat in Cambodia.) The many elaborate houseboats we see along the shores of the Mekong are painted blue in honor of Indra, the god of thunder & rain in this religion

"A" THERE $1200: Ethiopian Empress Taitu gave this city a name meaning "new flower"
(Brendan: What is Addis Aba?)

LIKE A VESTAL VIRGIN $2000: So as not to spill their blood, vestal non-virgins were killed this way, which Poe called a "ghastly extreme of agony"
(Erik: What is burning?)
(Margaret: What is interment?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

SNAG A RAM WITH ANAGRAMS $2000: There "IS NO AMITY" in this word, a feeling of strong dislike
(Alex: And we have about a minute left now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Royal Dutch Shell (Shell Oil)
Benny the Bull
oxen
the Tokyo Stock Exchange
Consolidated Edison
Ricky Nelson
stupas
Algiers
Mark Antony
"Bohemia"
the Tiber
"the Red-Headed League"
greyhound
supermodel
Montgolfier
Jacques Brel
"the Dancing Men"
"Five"
Joseph Conrad
Taurus
the catfish
the pound sterling
rattan
Hinduism
Addis Ababa
burying them alive
animosity
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Authors
In 1890 he captained the stern-wheeler Roi Des Belges on a voyage down the Congo River.
Spoiler
Who is Joseph Conrad?

Brendan O'Connor: $8,800+$2,401=$11,201...now a 1-day champion with $11,201
Margaret Minett-Longdon: $5,600+$3,200=$8,800
Erik Dresner: $2,000+$2,000=$4,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Yeah, that FJ wasn't happening.
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

Argh! My cable box crapped out on me, so I couldn't even watch my own demise!

Were the questions this time around as hard as I remember? I remember after DJ, Brandon turned to me and said "what the hell was that all about?!"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

erak wrote:Argh! My cable box crapped out on me, so I couldn't even watch my own demise!

Were the questions this time around as hard as I remember? I remember after DJ, Brandon turned to me and said "what the hell was that all about?!"
A lot of them weren't easy.
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

One of the easiest final jeopardys I've seen.
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

erak wrote:Argh! My cable box crapped out on me, so I couldn't even watch my own demise!

They seemed highly specialized, at least. You're not likely to know the Sherlock Holmes clues (other than the $400 and $800) unless you've actually read the stories, I think.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yeah, I struggled with this board, too.

FJ was an instant get, though I'll admit that I am surprised that it was a triple get. Props to the contestants!
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Little Help: why does "Benny the Bull" make sense?
Not an instaget FJ, but damn close.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Paucle wrote:Little Help: why does "Benny the Bull" make sense?
Alliteration. While I knew it, you either know it or you don't.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think he was saying it makes sense their mascot is a bull.

No chance on FJ. Went with Mark Twain.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

NoName84 wrote:
Alliteration. While I knew it, you either know it or you don't.
My first thought was "Bernie the Bull". I knew it was close, but not quite right, which turned out to be correct.

Did anyone else notice a very tiny beeping sound right as time was running out on Margaret's Algiers Daily Double? If you didn't, and you still have the show on DVR, go back and listen for it.

How in the heck am I supposed to know anything about Care Bears when I've never seen an episode or owned one of the toys?

I too was never going to get this FJ correct. My only thought was Rudyard Kipling. Was that a terrible guess?
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

At least I got Conrad. I'm kind of bitter the three left TV Detectives on the board for the Sherlock Holmes/Jacques categories, and that somehow the ultra fast governors category sat up there for a painful video category on the Mekong. Ugh.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought the board seemed a little tougher than usual, even if I did run Anagrams. Sherlock Holmes seemed pretty trashy, and Vestal Virgin went miles over my head.

No clue on FJ! What's the key word leading to Joseph Conrad? I knew he wrote Heart of Darkness, but I see nothing tying to that. Even looking up the book's plot, I see no key words tying it into the clue at all.

I saw "Belge" and blurted out Hans Christian Andersen, even though he was Danish.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This show was a goldmine of material for someone who likes to do funny voices. Here in my living room, I gave correct responses in the voices of Fozzie Bear and Arnold Schwarzenegger (for the governors of California), plus I used the SNL Superfans voice to ask for the category "Da' Bulls and Da' Bears".

I was hoping to see Formula One and IndyCar racer Jacque Villeneuve make an appearance, because after Chirac and Cousteau, I was pretty much out of lucque in that category.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

They could have finished the governors category if Alex hadn't spent so much time spoiling yesterday's FJ for those who haven't seen the episode yet.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Like the contestant who uncovered it, I totally blanked on the Algiers DD. That one hurt.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Benny was named for Ben Bentley, the Bulls' first stadium announcer.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What's the key word leading to Joseph Conrad? I knew he wrote Heart of Darkness, but I see nothing tying to that. Even looking up the book's plot, I see no key words tying it into the clue at all.
For me, the key was the Congo river journey. I can't think of any other prominent stories that feature a voyage into Africa via boat other than Heart of Darkness.