Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by billy pilgrim »

I'm shocked that people are not familiar with MLK's last speech.
"And then I got to Memphis. And some began to say the threats, or talk about the threats that were out. What would happen to me from some of our sick white brothers? Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't really matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. I don't mind. Like anybody, I would like to live - a long life; longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land. So I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord"
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

BADuBois wrote: And I felt really foolish when my wife Mona --- who knows my love of WWII and Cold War history --- looked at me and archly said, "You *really* think a German city would be named after Stalin, after what the Russians did to them during the war?" Oops!
That was my logic! I didn't affirmatively know it was Marx, but I remembered how much the Germans hated Stalin, and Lenin already had Leningrad which had reverted in the 1990s to Saint Petersburg (or is it Sankt-Peterburg again?). So I figured it had to be Karl Marx, but that was supposition. Whew!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Communist East Germany was solidly in the Soviet bloc, the Warsaw pact countries pretty much took their orders from Moscow, so I don't think East Germany would have had a problem with renaming with Soviet names, and it's not like they tolerated dissidents so the views of the general public would have meant nothing.
julycoaron
Contributor

Post by julycoaron »

bpmod wrote:
julycoaron wrote:Wasn't MLK's "been to the mountaintop" quote from 1963? IIRC, the clue said 1968. Did that throw anyone else off?
You might be thinking of "I have a dream". This one was April 3, 1968.

Brian
Thanks for setting me straight. Color me embarrassed.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

glennfleishman wrote:
BADuBois wrote: And I felt really foolish when my wife Mona --- who knows my love of WWII and Cold War history --- looked at me and archly said, "You *really* think a German city would be named after Stalin, after what the Russians did to them during the war?" Oops!
That was my logic! I didn't affirmatively know it was Marx, but I remembered how much the Germans hated Stalin, and Lenin already had Leningrad which had reverted in the 1990s to Saint Petersburg (or is it Sankt-Peterburg again?). So I figured it had to be Karl Marx, but that was supposition. Whew!
Brian why did i figure your wife would be named Blanche?
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I also thought of Hillary when the mountaintop quote came up, but I realized 1968 was too late (by just under a decade and a half) for that to be news. By then, though, my mind was disoriented about the quote, and I only got as far as finding it somewhat evangelical sounding and thinking of Jesse Jackson. I didn't make it all the way, but I think that's a pretty decent recovery.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

harrumph wrote:Communist East Germany was solidly in the Soviet bloc, the Warsaw pact countries pretty much took their orders from Moscow, so I don't think East Germany would have had a problem with renaming with Soviet names, and it's not like they tolerated dissidents so the views of the general public would have meant nothing.
Oh, no, East Germany had a surprising amount of independence in certain respects, and even the East German leadership had a long memory of the Eastern Front. Heck, they were the Eastern Front.
Sage on the Hudson

le Morte d'Alex

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Austin Powers wrote:Haven't seen the show but FJ seems pretty gettable. Got to be a Communist based on the years. Marx just happens to be German. Can't see them naming the town after a Russian. Oh and indeed there was a town called Karl Marx Stadt.
Slightly misleading FJ, in that Chemnitz is a city, but Karl Marx Stadt is, or was, just that: a state of the DDR with the city at its center.

And Alex ascribed authorship of le Morte d'Arthur to Tennyson...and there was no correction (Tennyson wrote, of course, The Idylls of the King; Thomas Malory wrote le Morte d'Arthur). Same basic subject matter, of course, but this is just about the most disgraceful and crap-headed thing I've ever seen on Jeopardy!).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Sage on the Hudson wrote: Slightly misleading FJ, in that Chemnitz is a city, but Karl Marx Stadt is, or was, just that: a state of the DDR with the city at its center.
Stadt doesn't mean state. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_placename_etymology
Sage on the Hudson wrote: And Alex ascribed authorship of le Morte d'Arthur to Tennyson...and there was no correction (Tennyson wrote, of course, The Idylls of the King; Thomas Malory wrote le Morte d'Arthur). Same basic subject matter, of course, but this is just about the most disgraceful and crap-headed thing I've ever seen on Jeopardy!).
I thought that was the times they've allowed "coup de gras."
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: le Morte d'Alex

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:And Alex ascribed authorship of le Morte d'Arthur to Tennyson...and there was no correction (Tennyson wrote, of course, The Idylls of the King; Thomas Malory wrote le Morte d'Arthur). Same basic subject matter, of course, but this is just about the most disgraceful and crap-headed thing I've ever seen on Jeopardy!).
There was almost nothing to correct. The quote was from an 1845 poem by Tennyson entitled "Morte D'Arthur". Alex added a "Le" at the front. The Tennyson poem hasn't got one. Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur was in prose, by the by, and could thus ruled out. The category was QUOTH THE POET. Malory's prose version of course provided inspiration for Tennyson's poem of the same name (minus a definite article), as well as for Idylls.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

NoName84 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:How the hell were 1953 and 1990 supposed to be TOMs for Karl Marx? He was active in the mid-late 1800s.

Also, what was the TOM for shrimp on Celebrity Cookbooks for $600? I had no idea what that clue was talking about.
During that time, Chemnitz was part of East Germany. Communism + German = Marx.
Never heard of that town/city, but did assume it was part of East Germany and thus under Soviet occupation. Did not make the connection to Marx being German, and in fact thought "why in the hell would they wait until 8 years after the war was over to name it after someone who had been dead for decades?" Since 1953 was the year of Stalin's death, I went with Uncle Joe, thinking the renaming was a tribute to their fallen leader. Not a bad wrong guess, says I.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:I also thought of Hillary when the mountaintop quote came up, but I realized 1968 was too late (by just under a decade and a half) for that to be news. By then, though, my mind was disoriented about the quote, and I only got as far as finding it somewhat evangelical sounding and thinking of Jesse Jackson. I didn't make it all the way, but I think that's a pretty decent recovery.
You weren't too far off, Jackson was there when he was killed, I think he is in that photo of the guys pointing toward where the shot came from.

If it had been an FJ, i might have gotten to King, but mountain climbing is Pavlov for Hillary (and Norgay), so I spit his name out. As soon as I said it, I knew it was wrong as the year is way off, though he might have written a book with that title in 1968.

I had a bad feeling about Stalin as I knew about the deStalinization, but nobody else came to mind. Marx just seems strange, but congrats to those to got it.
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

Nice work, Glenn. It's an awesome feeling seeing first place miss FJ, locking in the win for you, isn't it?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

glennfleishman wrote:
harrumph wrote:Communist East Germany was solidly in the Soviet bloc, the Warsaw pact countries pretty much took their orders from Moscow, so I don't think East Germany would have had a problem with renaming with Soviet names, and it's not like they tolerated dissidents so the views of the general public would have meant nothing.
Oh, no, East Germany had a surprising amount of independence in certain respects, and even the East German leadership had a long memory of the Eastern Front. Heck, they were the Eastern Front.
Interesting... but wouldn't the leadership, especially in the early years, have been picked from Germans with pro communist/anti Nazi views, who presumably would have thought of Stalin favorably?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

alietr wrote:For some stupid reason I went with Lenin for FJ. Should have stayed with German commie pinkos (pinkoes?).
I went with Lenin also. :oops: Knew it was East Germany, given the dates. The problem is that I'm in the middle of a book about the 1950-60s space race, Red Moon Rising, so a lot of the Soviets in that era were stuck in my head. Knew it wasn't Stalin because he had been pretty much purged by the mid-50s. Marx never entered my head. :roll:
julycoaron wrote:
bpmod wrote:
julycoaron wrote:Wasn't MLK's "been to the mountaintop" quote from 1963? IIRC, the clue said 1968. Did that throw anyone else off?
You might be thinking of "I have a dream". This one was April 3, 1968.

Brian
Thanks for setting me straight. Color me embarrassed.
It was from his final speech, the day before he was killed. I always remembered an excerpt of it in the Tom Clay 1971 mashup of "Abraham, Martin, and John / What The World Needs Now."
BobF

Post by BobF »

DWS wrote:Contrary to Alex's suggestion, the dates hurt rather than helped me on FJ. The period 1953-1990 made me think of the Cold War, East Germany, and the Soviets, so I ended up going with Stalin (who died in 1953, so it actually could have made sense to rename a city after him). I would've needed more TOM to get to Marx.
They helped me, but it still took me approx. 5 seconds too long to get Karl Marx. I immediately thought East German communist, but from there I stumbled before remembering there used to be a place called Karl Marx Stadt.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BobF

Post by BobF »

Paucle wrote:
Dr. J wrote: (And what's up with the Detroit affiliate??)
They're euphoric over the fact their team totally waxed the evil empire (not that I'm bitter or anything) and could not care less about what they air now, until the World Series starts!
Are you a fellow Met fan? Only people I know from NY who call them the evil empire are Mets fans.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BobF wrote:
Paucle wrote:
Dr. J wrote: (And what's up with the Detroit affiliate??)
They're euphoric over the fact their team totally waxed the evil empire (not that I'm bitter or anything) and could not care less about what they air now, until the World Series starts!
Are you a fellow Met fan? Only people I know from NY who call them the evil empire are Mets fans.
No, no ... he actually is a fan of the evil empire.

I, on the other hand, am one. :)
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I am a traitor to both sides. Yankees/Mets equal fan. ;)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Econgator is both wrong and right! I like them both. 2000 is my dream World Series.
Except then I want the Yankees to win them all 10-0 ;)

I'm like that about all NY teams- I like them "both," but vastly prefer one over the other. Yankees/ Jets/ Nets/ Islanders.