Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BobF »

bpmod wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:(As bpmod's reference to 1992/1993 showed - nobody cared enough to specifically comment on that, instead the discussion went right back to the Yankees, Bosox, and Mets)
Yeah. [sigh]

Brian
Hey, I commented. After that World Series game that woof hosted, I figured I was in the presence of a bunch of people who didn't need to have the Blue Jays mentioned by name. :-)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

fowlerism wrote:Went with Stalin here. Got the East Germany connection, and 1953 felt Stalin-ish. After that I had no chance of going back to Marx.

Dendrochronology is one of those "fun to say" words, like sphygmomanometer, that Jeopardy loves. What are some others? Pyroclastic? Defenestration?
BTW, when I heard the clue, I ran through my Greek prefixes and came up with Chronodendrology. I wonder if that would have worked? Both have the same number of letters! :mrgreen:
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bpmod wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:(As bpmod's reference to 1992/1993 showed - nobody cared enough to specifically comment on that, instead the discussion went right back to the Yankees, Bosox, and Mets)
Yeah. [sigh]
And I should've, because the Jays were so AWESOME in 1992, beating America's Also-rans in the Series.
And who can forget 1993? Carter batting? The Phillies, two outs from forcing a 7th game. Up by a run, two on, Mitch Williams on to shut the door. Then, Tom Cheek's classic call...
"Touch 'em all Joe! You'll never hit a bigger home run in your life!"
I believe that remains only the 2nd walk-off WS winning homer, but this one was a bit more urgent as his team was trailing at the time. (Mazeroski's in 1960 broke a tie.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Of course, Maz's was in Game 7, which made it more urgent than Carter. If the Jays lose the game, they still get to play another game.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

opusthepenguin wrote:I'm surprised "dendrochronology" is such a toughie. It's one of those words that's swimming around in my head for some reason.
Me too. And I'm feeling extra smart after FJ was an instaget for me. :D
Spaceman Spiff wrote:BTW, when I heard the clue, I ran through my Greek prefixes and came up with Chronodendrology.
Isn't that the science of using time to keep track of trees?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think I've heard that word before but couldn't pull out the prefix for trees. I got the owrd deciduous stuck in my head and never got it out.

I shouldn't be surprised by anything on this board, but it did surprise me so many people (including myself) know when Stalin died.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I got the Karl Marx clue from the James Bond movie Octopussy.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Bamaman wrote:I think I've heard that word before but couldn't pull out the prefix for trees. I got the owrd deciduous stuck in my head and never got it out.

I shouldn't be surprised by anything on this board, but it did surprise me so many people (including myself) know when Stalin died.
And probably there's a bunch of who know that Prokofiev died on the same day as Stalin.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

harrumph wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I think I've heard that word before but couldn't pull out the prefix for trees. I got the owrd deciduous stuck in my head and never got it out.

And probably there's a bunch of who know that Prokofiev died on the same day as Stalin.
Didn't know that (never heard of him), but I know when C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley died.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Bamaman wrote:
harrumph wrote:

Didn't know that (never heard of him), but I know when C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley died.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctsWdUaHsHM
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Bamaman wrote:Didn't know that (never heard of him), but I know when C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley died.
Some other important guy died on the same date, I think.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
harrumph wrote:

And I know when Alice Trillin (wife of Calvin) died as well. (You can bet that if it was any other date 9and in any other city!) I wouldn't know, nor really care. That's what trivia is about, ladies and gentlemen, fascinating facts like that.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

BobF wrote:Go Devils!
I anticipate our next playoff matchup. 8-)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Sounds like I was one of the only ones for whom FJ was an instaget. I just remember seeing an old National Geographic map of Germany with the label "Karl-Marx-Stadt (Chemnitz)" and that name's always stuck in my head.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Leave it to me to do something else with the FJ clue. Stalin came to me because of the year, but I dismissed that name. Einstein came to me and that didn't seem any better. Next I played brainstorm the German leaders. Uh, uh, uh... Helmut Kohl? Willy Brandt? Brandt felt like the older of the names so that was my guess to have something. Karl Marx was not going to happen for me.

The bear TOM helped figure out the teddy in Worn Underneath. The Lakers portion of the clue gave me Showtime in TV Network Names to have me soon missing Stephanie in wondering if she could have saved that clue from being a TS.

Lots of chatter about the Dr. King and dendrochronology DDs. I already have a request about a reaction to a previous FJ clue in the week and about Stalin from this game. I'll get as much in the poll as I can.

This was another game with a lot of annoying clue calling with uhs, full wind-ups, full category names, excessive maners, $ then category, etc. Category - Amount. That's it. Has Maggie changed the speech? Are people too busy getting make up to hear? Is being on the set with the lights and the crowd too intimidating to keep nerves in check? Players have to have done such things at the audition and in rehearsal. The CCs should make this an even higher priority than pepping up the soft spoken/timid contestants.

Nice win by Glenn to survive the stronger play by Erin. The game has three rounds and Glenn made the third round pay off well with the sole solve.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Definite "Pisarcik fumbled the ball" moment in this game. I feel awful for the lady who was leading going into FJ, but what was she thinking???
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:Definite "Pisarcik fumbled the ball" moment in this game. I feel awful for the lady who was leading going into FJ, but what was she thinking???
She was looking out in the audience and thinking, "Oh my God, is that Herm Edwards!?"?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote:
glennfleishman wrote:
erak wrote:Nice work, Glenn. It's an awesome feeling seeing first place miss FJ, locking in the win for you, isn't it?
Yes, that was just two bits of luck in a row: I mean, dendrochronology?! That was a ridiculous DD for that category. One of the gang I was with for the viewing party was the son of a forester, and _he_ knew the term. But a room of 30, he was the only one.

I feel bad for Erin, of course, because she made such an amazing recovery, and then bet wrong on the DD and hit that rough FJ.
What she should have done is bet $200 exactly. When she missed, she'd have had a lock tie and you two would've been co-champions. We could congratulate you without feeling bad for her. But you players never think of us fans. :)

I'm surprised "dendrochronology" is such a toughie. It's one of those words that's swimming around in my head for some reason.
Should I count my 'dendro...*mumble*...ology'? :lol:

Illinois was my 'Great Lake' call, due to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia .

And chalk me up as another who went with Stalin, although I felt bad about it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
BobF

Post by BobF »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Definite "Pisarcik fumbled the ball" moment in this game. I feel awful for the lady who was leading going into FJ, but what was she thinking???
She was looking out in the audience and thinking, "Oh my God, is that Herm Edwards!?"?
And the sight of old Herm would of course lead her to mismanage the clock near the end of the game. (See, I do follow the Jets as well as the Giants.)
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Surprised so many people are unfamiliar with the famous "been to the mountaintop" MLK quote.

And in any case, Hillary, being an experienced climber, would never use the word "mountaintop." He would say "summit." :P