Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BobF »

Adam, you're a rarity, then, as are you Paucle. Most fans I know of one or the other have at least a dislike of the other team. I only dislike the Yankees because my favorite AL team is the Orioles. Well, that and I always enjoy seeing somebody other than the Yankees and Red Sox win the east anyway.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

BobF wrote:... I always enjoy seeing somebody other than the Yankees and Red Sox win the east anyway.
You must have loved '92 & '93, then. I know I did.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BobF

Post by BobF »

bpmod wrote:
BobF wrote:... I always enjoy seeing somebody other than the Yankees and Red Sox win the east anyway.
You must have loved '92 & '93, then. I know I did.

Brian
LOL. No, 20 years ago I actually felt bad for the Sox and hoped they'd win one. But their worst fans have become just as obnoxious as the worst Yankee fans.

I'm also a Giants fan. During the Feb 2008 Super Bowl, I sat across the hallway from a big blowhard Patriots/Sox fan who said the Giants were going to get blown out. So the Monday after the game, I posted a big article about the Giants win on my wall facing directly towards HIS cubicle and said nothing more.
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

Paucle wrote:I'm like that about all NY teams- I like them "both," but vastly prefer one over the other. Yankees/ Jets/ Nets/ Islanders.
I'm like that in baseball and football. I'm a Yankees and Giants fan, but like to see the Mets and Jets do well (unless it's against my teams). The only difference is when the Jets or Mets lose, I don't really care.

Not the same with hockey though. As a Devils fan, I want horrible things to happen to the Rangers on a daily basis. (Nothing against the Isles. Given their last 2 decades and that godawful arena of theirs, I feel bad for their fans.)
BobF

Post by BobF »

erak wrote:
Paucle wrote:I'm like that about all NY teams- I like them "both," but vastly prefer one over the other. Yankees/ Jets/ Nets/ Islanders.
I'm like that in baseball and football. I'm a Yankees and Giants fan, but like to see the Mets and Jets do well (unless it's against my teams). The only difference is when the Jets or Mets lose, I don't really care.

Not the same with hockey though. As a Devils fan, I want horrible things to happen to the Rangers on a daily basis. (Nothing against the Isles. Given their last 2 decades and that godawful arena of theirs, I feel bad for their fans.)
Go Devils! I'm thinking a shortened NHL season might just benefit Brodeur - unless they try to squeeze extra games into the shortened season. And the Jets are indeed my 2nd favorite NFL team - I'd actually like to see them win the Super Bowl this year since we Giants fans have been so spoiled over the last 5 years.
erak

Post by erak »

BobF wrote:
erak wrote:

Go Devils! I'm thinking a shortened NHL season might just benefit Brodeur - unless they try to squeeze extra games into the shortened season.
The last time the season was shortened ('95), it worked out very well for my team.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

erak wrote:Nice work, Glenn. It's an awesome feeling seeing first place miss FJ, locking in the win for you, isn't it?
Yes, that was just two bits of luck in a row: I mean, dendrochronology?! That was a ridiculous DD for that category. One of the gang I was with for the viewing party was the son of a forester, and _he_ knew the term. But a room of 30, he was the only one.

I feel bad for Erin, of course, because she made such an amazing recovery, and then bet wrong on the DD and hit that rough FJ.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

BobF wrote:
Paucle wrote:They're euphoric over the fact their team totally waxed the evil empire (not that I'm bitter or anything) and could not care less about what they air now, until the World Series starts!
Are you a fellow Met fan? Only people I know from NY who call them the evil empire are Mets fans.
I think the only baseball fans that don't call them the "evil empire" are yankee fans, and they should be called that. I don't know why the yankees have a minor league system, they use the rest of baseball as there minor league and just buy the players they want.

Count me as a Stalin guy on final jeopardy. I knew the Germans wouldn't want a russian name (after WWII), but felt that the East Germans took thier marching orders from Moscow by the 1950's, and would have no choice.
erak

Post by erak »

Sherm wrote:I think the only baseball fans that don't call them the "evil empire" are yankee fans, and they should be called that. I don't know why the yankees have a minor league system, they use the rest of baseball as there minor league and just buy the players they want.
While I don't say "evil empire" exactly, I totally accept that they're the evil team. Sometimes it's fun to root for the villains. (On the other hand, the Yankees were downright awful for the first 15 years of my life. The first year they started looking good was the strike year. I know, I know, there are Cubs fans out there saying "Oh boo-effing-hoo!")
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

glennfleishman wrote:Oh, no, East Germany had a surprising amount of independence in certain respects, and even the East German leadership had a long memory of the Eastern Front. Heck, they were the Eastern Front.
While I hate to disagree with The Champ, the Eastern Front was much farther to the East, and encompassed areas like Belarus, Ukraine, the Baltic states, and Russia. There really wasn't much fighting in what became East Germany until the very end of the war and the Russians had broken through.

And yes, in the famous picture of the assassination of MLK, Jesse Jackson is one of the men pointing to where they thought the shot had come from.

And BTW, it's a real pity the Yankees got swept like that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

glennfleishman wrote:
erak wrote:Nice work, Glenn. It's an awesome feeling seeing first place miss FJ, locking in the win for you, isn't it?
Yes, that was just two bits of luck in a row: I mean, dendrochronology?! That was a ridiculous DD for that category. One of the gang I was with for the viewing party was the son of a forester, and _he_ knew the term. But a room of 30, he was the only one.

I feel bad for Erin, of course, because she made such an amazing recovery, and then bet wrong on the DD and hit that rough FJ.
What she should have done is bet $200 exactly. When she missed, she'd have had a lock tie and you two would've been co-champions. We could congratulate you without feeling bad for her. But you players never think of us fans. :)

I'm surprised "dendrochronology" is such a toughie. It's one of those words that's swimming around in my head for some reason.
erak

Post by erak »

opusthepenguin wrote:
glennfleishman wrote:

What she should have done is bet $200 exactly. When she missed, she'd have had a lock tie and you two would've been co-champions. We could congratulate you without feeling bad for her. But you players never think of us fans. :)

I'm surprised "dendrochronology" is such a toughie. It's one of those words that's swimming around in my head for some reason.
There was a $2000 clue left on the board, so she was probably playing to that.
BobF

Post by BobF »

erak wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
glennfleishman wrote:

There was a $2000 clue left on the board, so she was probably playing to that.
But $2000 clues are the toughest on the board and often either go unanswered or answered incorrectly. In fact, looking at the most recent 30 $2000 clues in the archive, 18 were answered correctly and there were at least 3 triple stumpers. So, if she bet conservatively, there's still only a 30% chance she loses the lock on the final clue assuming she would clam.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Dendrochronololgy shows up 3 times in the archive. Most recently was September 27, 2010. In all three instances, the clue contained the word and was asking what it is the study of.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

opusthepenguin wrote:I'm surprised "dendrochronology" is such a toughie. It's one of those words that's swimming around in my head for some reason.
Count me as a Dendo get. Had to piece it together, though. DD time would've been enough, but had I rung in on normal clue time I think I'd've timed out.
alietr wrote:And BTW, it's a real pity the Yankees got swept like that.
Yes. but all the pundits were right: they relied too much on the long ball all year, and it was gonna hurt them in the post season against high quality pitching.
And what happened against Detroit? They didn't generate any small-ball rallies, scored only 6 runs, and 5 were a result of home runs.
My team is old and needs an overhaul. And in that division? Baltimore wasn't a flash in the pan. I think Boston will bounce back, Tampa is always tough. And who knows about Toronto? They're a piece or two away . If they have Bautista healthy for all of 2013, it would not surprise me one bit if the AL East boasts three play-off teams next year, and Yankee Stadium hosts no post-season games.
erak wrote: (On the other hand, the Yankees were downright awful for the first 15 years of my life. The first year they started looking good was the strike year.
Are you talking about the 1994 strike year? 15 years before that brings it to 1980 or so. In 1980 they had the most wins in baseball (Baltimore had 100 wins that season and didn't win the division!). They also had the most wins in baseball for all of the 1980s. They were in (but lost) the 1981 World Series, and competed late into September in 1984-88. Now, for 89-92 they sucked, but if the Wild Card existed in 1993, it would've been them. (Poor Giants in 1993! 103 wins and watching the post season on TV!)
Sherm wrote: I don't know why the yankees have a minor league system,
If they didn't, there'd be no Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Andy Pettitte, or Jorge Posada. And quite probably no 5 rings.
Sherm wrote: they use the rest of baseball as there[sic] minor league and just buy the players they want.
I'm surprised no other team does that. The system is there for everyone.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

alietr wrote:And BTW, it's a real pity the Yankees got swept like that.
The rest of the Michiganders (does that make me a Michigoose?) AGREE!! Nice win, Glenn.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Went with Stalin here. Got the East Germany connection, and 1953 felt Stalin-ish. After that I had no chance of going back to Marx.

Dendrochronology is one of those "fun to say" words, like sphygmomanometer, that Jeopardy loves. What are some others? Pyroclastic? Defenestration?
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

erak wrote:While I don't say "evil empire" exactly, I totally accept that they're the evil team. Sometimes it's fun to root for the villains.
Isn't it also better in some ways to have your team *be* hated? Better than the alternative of being forgotten? (As bpmod's reference to 1992/1993 showed - nobody cared enough to specifically comment on that, instead the discussion went right back to the Yankees, Bosox, and Mets)

As for the Yankees, everybody knows that hiring George Costanza was what turned that organization around. After missing the playoffs for 12 straight seasons, they had the best record in the AL the first year he was hired (the strike-shortened 1994) and the rest is history!
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Turd Ferguson wrote: As for the Yankees, everybody knows that hiring George Costanza was what turned that organization around. After missing the playoffs for 12 straight seasons, they had the best record in the AL the first year he was hired (the strike-shortened 1994) and the rest is history!
It was his idea to go to 100% cotton uniforms.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Turd Ferguson wrote:(As bpmod's reference to 1992/1993 showed - nobody cared enough to specifically comment on that, instead the discussion went right back to the Yankees, Bosox, and Mets)
Yeah. [sigh]

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.