Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Thursday, October 18, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

marpocky wrote:Surprised so many people are unfamiliar with the famous "been to the mountaintop" MLK quote.

And in any case, Hillary, being an experienced climber, would never use the word "mountaintop." He would say "summit." :P
And a quasi-timely reference was in today's comics

http://www.uclick.com/client/spi/jt/201 ... index.html
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Definite "Pisarcik fumbled the ball" moment in this game. I feel awful for the lady who was leading going into FJ, but what was she thinking???
She was looking out in the audience and thinking, "Oh my God, is that Herm Edwards!?"?
And he would have told her that "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!"
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i'm way behind, but let me just add my voice to these lists:
  • congrats, glenn!
  • what a disastrous DD wager, compounded by her ultra-timid wager on the 2nd-row DD in capricorns. with wagering like that, it's almost forgivable that she seemed to deliberately be picking clues so as not to hit the DDs.
  • 1953 -> stalin. wasn't happy about it, but i didn't think of marx. props to glenn on the sole solve.
  • cahokia -> illinois.
  • i wish they'd call the clues faster.
geez, that's 5 things i wanted to say, and everybody's said them already. well, one more thing: i miss stephanie.
Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

jpahk wrote: geez, that's 5 things i wanted to say, and everybody's said them already. well, one more thing: i miss stephanie.
Just a gut feeling but you'll get to see her for at least 2 more shows, if not 4 more in February.
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

Magna wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Didn't know that (never heard of him), but I know when C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley died.
Some other important guy died on the same date, I think.
Officer Tippit?
khiddy
Contributor

Post by khiddy »

I just wanted to chime in and say that I was delighted to see Glenn on the show. I've long been a reader of TidBITS (since 1990/91 or so?), so I recognized your name immediately, and was happy to have a face to put with the words I've read for so long! Plus, I really enjoyed the pieces you've written since on studying for the show. You had a good run!
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

jpahk wrote:i'm way behind, but let me just add my voice to these lists:
  • congrats, glenn!
  • what a disastrous DD wager, compounded by her ultra-timid wager on the 2nd-row DD in capricorns. with wagering like that, it's almost forgivable that she seemed to deliberately be picking clues so as not to hit the DDs.
  • 1953 -> stalin. wasn't happy about it, but i didn't think of marx. props to glenn on the sole solve.
  • cahokia -> illinois.
  • i wish they'd call the clues faster.
geez, that's 5 things i wanted to say, and everybody's said them already. well, one more thing: i miss stephanie.
Thank you! It was a weird game. I had total control briefly, but then the other folks caught up in buzzer timing. My many years of studying German pay off pick time in FJ! Maybe Keith is assuaging missing Stephanie. They will both be back in the ToC this year, and I'm happy to have met two people who will be in the tournament!

My kids are now Jeopardy obsessed, and want to watch every night. My older is 8, and he counting the days until he can enter the kids tournament.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

khiddy wrote:I just wanted to chime in and say that I was delighted to see Glenn on the show. I've long been a reader of TidBITS (since 1990/91 or so?), so I recognized your name immediately, and was happy to have a face to put with the words I've read for so long! Plus, I really enjoyed the pieces you've written since on studying for the show. You had a good run!
Thank you! It was a lot of fun, and it's been a real hoot hearing from people after the shows aired. I'm working on another Economist item about wagering (having talked with an IBM scientist who worked on the wagering/clue selection part of Watson), and may have even more to come. The show has a lot of richness to it, and part of the cultural stew.

The folks at Marketplace Tech Report on American Public Media called me on Friday to talk about Internet routing algorithms, and they asked me to talk about my Jeopardy run, too.