Friday, October 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Re: Friday, October 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by glennfleishman »

seaborgium wrote:
glennfleishman wrote:I had to make the assumption that Abby might get the answer right or wrong
That's a safe assumption!
Ha, ha, ha. I meant I bet on the assumption that she and I would both be right or both be wrong. Silly me.

I needed to retain enough to win if Matt was right, but I knew I would lose if Abby were right and I were wrong. But I also "protected" myself a little by making sure I had more than $13,000, under the assumption that she might bet $0, assuming I would bet more and she could win with the wrong answer. So many scenarios.

I do think it's a little sneaky for me to win without having gotten Final Jeopardy right. I definitely admit that. But I'll take it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Steppenwolf wrote:First time on the JBoard. Was curious about Glenn's response "A Hundred Years of Solitude"... I've always seen it as "One Hundred Years of Solitude", and was half-way expecting it to be rejected. Are the powers-that-be more lenient when it's a translation of a title??
I'm guessing it's because it's a translation (although, like you, I was expecting a neg as I have never seen it as anything but One Hundred).
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I ran a complete board (the first round) for the first time in memory this evening. Huzzah! Then I fell to earth and missed four clues n the DD round.

I wasn't wild about the TOM in tonight's FJ clue. Because of the date, I seriously considered A Night to Remember and Young Mr. Lincoln and finally Casablanca before settling on GWTW.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

glennfleishman wrote:I needed to retain enough to win if Matt was right, but I knew I would lose if Abby were right and I were wrong. But I also "protected" myself a little by making sure I had more than $13,000, under the assumption that she might bet $0, assuming I would bet more and she could win with the wrong answer. So many scenarios.

I do think it's a little sneaky for me to win without having gotten Final Jeopardy right. I definitely admit that. But I'll take it.
The way I looked at it:
- Your score was over 150% of Abby's, so you wouldn't have to bet your lead to cover her.
- Your score was over the sum of Abby's and Matt's, so you wouldn't have to let Matt back in to cover Abby.

With no further strategizing necessary, you could shoot for $24,001, secure in the knowledge that all situations where Abby gets it wrong, and all situations where you get it right, would spell victory for you.

As for sneaky, I once won getting FJ wrong from second place, despite third place getting it right with me in his reach!

Congrats on being the first male repeat champion of season 29!
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

Steppenwolf wrote:First time on the JBoard. Was curious about Glenn's response "A Hundred Years of Solitude"... I've always seen it as "One Hundred Years of Solitude", and was half-way expecting it to be rejected. Are the powers-that-be more lenient when it's a translation of a title??
And congratulations, Glenn, on a second win.. best luck (retroactively) for the future!
I realized that watching it tonight that I had always heard it as "one": Technically, the title is "Hundred Years" and I remember Maggie saying the initial article could be munged so long as it didn't affect meaning, so I suspect it was that.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Congratulations, Glenn! I won't deny you got a few breaks or the game would have been closer. But you were still the dominant player. It would've been a shame to see you lose just because you caught a bad break on FJ.

I have to say, though, that I wish we could see Abby again. She was a hoot. Here are a couple of my favorite moments. You may have to turn up the volume to catch her comment on the second one:

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

Good catch on "A" instead of "One"! I just played it again. Surprised it wasn't reversed again. It actually affected the final score.

GWTW was something I remembered as starting his channel. Easy week of FJs.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Dr. J wrote:It was Turner who colorized Casablanca, yes? Horrible idea.
That's what I was going for ("think of a movie that Ted would have colourized"), but the possibilities were too great. As I've mentioned before on this board, movies (classic or otherwise) are a weak point of mine, while my wife likes to spend a lot of time watching AMC and TCM. I should show her this Final, see if she'd get it right.

I also blame my loss on the fact that I didn't realize, before calling up my spreadsheet, that I was 4/4 in FJs this week going into today's broadcast, I'm convinced that had I not noticed it beforehand, I wouldn't have jinxed myself.
seaborgium wrote:was trying to think of classic movies about Abraham Lincoln (he was shot on 4/14/1865) when my dad said, "Turner, Atlanta, Gone with the Wind."
You've mentioned before about your dad blurting out the answer while you're still working it out. You really have to have a talk with him about FJ! protocol when playing at home. (One would think, as a former contestant, he should know!) :)

Judges: 7 Letter Words $1200: They were looking for a "deadpan" expression. Would "neutral" expression (another 7 letter word, I'll have you know!) fit?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I'm surprised to find not one mention so far in this thread of my incorrect guess on FJ, The Wizard of Oz. The film has been played on the Turner networks a great deal over the past decade or so, and I thought it seemed pretty logical that it could have been the first movie shown on the new network when TCM debuted. I honestly didn't even have another guess, as I tried to do something with the month or the year, but neither Titanic nor Lincoln came to me. A 1944 film being in its 50th anniversary year I thought was possible, but no memorable 1944 film came to mind. The only thought I had from the date was that could Easter have been on or around April 15th in 1994, making The Ten Commandments a possibilty, as it is frequently shown on the major networks on the Saturday night before Easter.

So with nothing else ringing any bells, I thought Wizard of Oz was a pretty good guess, and actually thought it had a pretty good chance of being right, until Alex mentioned the words "home base", which I immediately took to mean Turner=>Atlanta=>Gone with the Wind. Sigh. Maybe if I hadn't distracted myself with the date my mind might have wandered to Turner during the 30 seconds of music, and it's possible I would have made that connection, but I doubt it. It turns out that according to Wiki, The Wizard of Oz didn't debut on cable until 1999, though I don't know if it was first on TCM or TBS. It has been shown on the various Turner networks pretty regularly since then, but in 1994 it was still the exclusive property of CBS.
Sage on the Hudson

Ted's ambitions could be read in the Tara cards

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Was about to say "where the HELL is the TOM in this clue?" when Alex said "Now where is Turner based?" My mind just doesn't work that way. I CAN NOT put the pieces together at all. Turner->Atlanta->GWTW still seemed like a fairly obscure path, considering it was only 1/3.
Turner's said many times (though he was probably exaggerating a bit) that the reason he bought the pre-1986 MGM film library is because he'd then be able to own GWTW. The fact that it's turned out to extremely lucrative for him and, later, Warner Bros., must be purely incidental...

BADuBois wrote:It being Friday night, once again, my Boston affiliate has pre-empted "Jeopardy!" for the Patriots All-Access pre-game show, just like they did for my championship game, so that most of my friends and family missed my first appearance on "Jeopardy!". Not that I dwell on it much...

"...to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

Oops, where did that come from?
Why, from STAR TREK II, THE WRATH OF KHAN, of course...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote:Congratulations, Glenn! I won't deny you got a few breaks or the game would have been closer. But you were still the dominant player. It would've been a shame to see you lose just because you caught a bad break on FJ.

I have to say, though, that I wish we could see Abby again. She was a hoot. Here are a couple of my favorite moments. You may have to turn up the volume to catch her comment on the second one:
One episode of Abby was enough for me, thank you. Though that second clue references the only time two presidents ran against each other in a non-presidential election.
jeff6286 wrote:The only thought I had from the date was that could Easter have been on or around April 15th in 1994, making The Ten Commandments a possibilty, as it is frequently shown on the major networks on the Saturday night before Easter.
Easter was on April 3 that year. But the reason you see The Ten Commandments the wek before is because it is shown on Passover Sunday.

One last bit about Glenn's wager....If you are in the lead but do not have a lock, make the MSB and not a penny more, it avoids any pitfalls, although in some circumstances you should offer a tie, such as an exact 2/3 game or if your score equals the total of the other two players. (May be others). As was seen here, never let the third player back in the game.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I started to go with GWTW, then switched to Wizard of Oz. As soon as Alex alluded to where Turner is based, it became an insta-get, and a massive palm-to-head moment for me. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

BADuBois wrote:It being Friday night, once again, my Boston affiliate has pre-empted "Jeopardy!" for the Patriots All-Access pre-game show, just like they did for my championship game, so that most of my friends and family missed my first appearance on "Jeopardy!". Not that I dwell on it much...

"...to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

Oops, where did that come from?...
Moby-Dick, I believe; or at least The Wrath of Khan.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

glennfleishman wrote:
And congratulations, Glenn, on a second win.. best luck (retroactively) for the future!
I realized that watching it tonight that I had always heard it as "one": Technically, the title is "Hundred Years" and I remember Maggie saying the initial article could be munged so long as it didn't affect meaning, so I suspect it was that.
Spanish doesn't use an article in front of the word "hundred", as Glenn said. Any article before it has been attached in translation, and I can't see why one or the other is more correct.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:I also knew that is Turner's favorite movie so it was an instaget for me as well.

Of all the obscure, you-know-it-or-you-don't, pure trivia factoids in the world, where in the world would Turner have mentioned it, who would have bothered to record it, and who would remember it? (I know, apparently you remember it, but c'mon....)

If I had all day to make the connection: TCM--Turner---Atlanta---GWTW, yeah, maybe. But not tonight.

Wagged Citizen Kane. Boo, hiss.

Nice second win by the champ tonight.
erak
Queen Elizabeth's Phrenologist

Post by erak »

Totally slapped my forehead on FJ. I had no clue and went with Citizen Kane. When my wife said Gone With the Wind, all the pieces fit for me. I liked the subtle TOM on that one.

Abby reminded me of the recent SNL sketch The Californians.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

John Boy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I also knew that is Turner's favorite movie so it was an instaget for me as well.

Of all the obscure, you-know-it-or-you-don't, pure trivia factoids in the world, where in the world would Turner have mentioned it, who would have bothered to record it, and who would remember it? (I know, apparently you remember it, but c'mon....)
I'm a big Braves fan, so I've always followed Turner and his exploits closer than an average person might.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

erak wrote:Abby reminded me of the recent SNL sketch The Californians.
Everyone's piling on Abby! I didn't notice her speech style when I met her. She's a lovely person through and through, and very bright. I didn't realize she was so young (I can't tell if she's a senior this year or just graduated from college), but she was incredibly fun to spend the day with, and I was sad when I won. That's the problem with Jeopardy: you meet a bunch of people with incredible sparky and verve, and then we all have to fight it out on stage.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Instead of April 14, in my head I was thinking June 14, which is Flag Day. I tried to think of a movie where the American flag is prominent, so I said Patton.
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

glennfleishman wrote:That's the problem with Jeopardy: you meet a bunch of people with incredible sparky and verve, and then we all have to fight it out on stage.
Ain't that the truth! My second week was easier in that regard, because I was playing in games against people I'd just met and had less time to form attachments with (with which to form attachments? argh.) It's interesting how most of us, even the competitive ones, want to bond with the other contestants instead of keeping an emotional distance that might make winning easier. (I suppose that inherent tension is one of the reasons that people still watch Survivor...)