Friday, October 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Re: Friday, October 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by glennfleishman »

Dr. J wrote:My second week was easier in that regard, because I was playing in games against people I'd just met and had less time to form attachments with (with which to form attachments? argh.) It's interesting how most of us, even the competitive ones, want to bond with the other contestants instead of keeping an emotional distance that might make winning easier. (I suppose that inherent tension is one of the reasons that people still watch Survivor...)
You know, I think that's part of the contestant type they try to get, though. Jeopardy could select towards people who were more cut-throat, and that would be a very different vibe on stage, even given our non-existent interaction during the game, really. Instead, I think they pick personable, brassy (like you and me!), gregarious folks who share our personalities and are both delighted to win and sad at our opponents' losses at the same time. They're crafting a mini-story every episode, and the right "type" is what has given the show such long legs, I think.

If you get out to Seattle, we'll have to have a great champions dinner with all the spouses.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

lisa0012 wrote: I realized that watching it tonight that I had always heard it as "one": Technically, the title is "Hundred Years" and I remember Maggie saying the initial article could be munged so long as it didn't affect meaning, so I suspect it was that.
Spanish doesn't use an article in front of the word "hundred", as Glenn said. Any article before it has been attached in translation, and I can't see why one or the other is more correct.[/quote]

Wasn't the Spanish title in the clue? So you could see it has no article.

I'm a big fan of TCM, so I knew FJ, altho it's easy to get there from Turner->Atlanta.

I liked Abby too. Too bad she didn't win so conspiracy theorists could go wild with the Dear Abby category.

I said trousseau for hope chest.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

alietr wrote:Sorry, but I don't remember a single SAotD. Must have been one in there somewhere ...
Posting before reading the entire thread -- never wise -- what about Macau when spotted Chinese gambling mecca or whatever it was in WW WWW? Though the .mo ending was certainly pause-worthy.

On FJ I didn't make the Turner --> Atlanta --> GWTW connection. First thought was The Wizard of Oz, why I'm not sure. Looked at the date, remembered seeing flying monkeys around Easter more than once, locked it in. I was so Sher, man!
In and out of the pool four times
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

reddpen wrote:
alietr wrote:Sorry, but I don't remember a single SAotD. Must have been one in there somewhere ...
Posting before reading the entire thread -- never wise -- what about Macau when spotted Chinese gambling mecca or whatever it was in WW WWW? Though the .mo ending was certainly pause-worthy.
Internet ccTLDs are certainly one of my top wheelhouses (ran the category), but yes I did have to think too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

Vanya wrote:
lisa0012 wrote: I realized that watching it tonight that I had always heard it as "one": Technically, the title is "Hundred Years" and I remember Maggie saying the initial article could be munged so long as it didn't affect meaning, so I suspect it was that.
Spanish doesn't use an article in front of the word "hundred", as Glenn said. Any article before it has been attached in translation, and I can't see why one or the other is more correct.
Wasn't the Spanish title in the clue? So you could see it has no article.
[/quote]

True, but it would be weird to say "Hundred Years of Solitude". So to translate in a way that makes sense to add the article, I just don't know that one is definitively correct over the other. Either makes sense. Or you could just say "that book I suffered through in high school Spanish".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote:
Really? I had no idea that Macau was a gambling mecca. No way I was getting that clue with any amount of help.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
reddpen wrote:
Really? I had no idea that Macau was a gambling mecca. No way I was getting that clue with any amount of help.

Same here. Gambling mecca + .mo=monaco for me, but its not Asian.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

It is or was spelled Macao.

One Hundred Years of Solitude - they were asking for the English title of the book. I guess they let people slide on by sometimes.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:
reddpen wrote:
Not watching enough Bond films, imo.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

Johnblue wrote: One Hundred Years of Solitude - they were asking for the English title of the book. I guess they let people slide on by sometimes.
We were told in the briefing the first day that an initial article, like A, The, or An, wouldn't count against us if used incorrectly or omitted in Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy, but would in Final Jeopardy, so long as there wasn't ambiguity. "Hours" and "The Hours", for instance, could be two distinct works.
bibliophage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bibliophage »

Although I wasn't aware of Ted Turner's fascination with Gone with the Wind , it was the first title that came to me because of the Turner-Atlanta conjunction. I should have turned my brain off right then. Unfortunately I convinced myself that April 14 was an important part of the clue, which I knew was the anniversary of both the Titanic and the Lincoln assassination. I couldn't think of any Lincoln assassination movies except Birth of a Nation which I didn't think was a likely candidate. The next title that came to me was Titanic (1997) which was obviously wrong because of the date, then Titanic (1953) which I figured was too obscure. Then I fixed on A Night to Remember which was my final answer. I don't remember ever considering and rejecting so many different responses for one FJ and I'm very sorry I didn't stop at the first one.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote:Congratulations, Glenn! I won't deny you got a few breaks or the game would have been closer. But you were still the dominant player. It would've been a shame to see you lose just because you caught a bad break on FJ.

I have to say, though, that I wish we could see Abby again. She was a hoot. Here are a couple of my favorite moments. You may have to turn up the volume to catch her comment on the second one:
Sorry, O Flightless One, but I thought Abby was one of the more annoying contestants I've seen of late. She seemed unable to make eye contact with Alex and had so many nervous ticks that it was unsetting trying to watch her. (She did remind me of a younger cousin, though, so I cut her as much slack as I could)
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

I'll get on the pro-Abby train. I like memorable contestants and nothing she did really annoyed me. The self-references on the Abbey category and the celebration in the actresses category was pretty endearing. Still happy for Glenn, and pretty impressed by the high overall scores on what was a tough board for me.

For once, I figure out an FJ the way they expect you to figure it out. Turner -> Atlanta -> GWTW. I originally thought Shawshank due to Turner's history with the movie, but realized the dates didn't quite match up right. Then between Casablanca and GWTW til Atlanta came up.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

dhkendall wrote:As I've mentioned before on this board, movies (classic or otherwise) are a weak point of mine, while my wife likes to spend a lot of time watching AMC and TCM. I should show her this Final, see if she'd get it right.
For the record, if anyone really cares, my wife got hung up on the "1994" part of the clue and was thinking of more recent (for the time) movies. I had to remind her what network was being referenced, but it was well after 25 seconds at that point, she never got there.

I do relate the tale to say that there are several ways that people could have gone wrong on this clue, mostly by not knowing where the TOM was exactly (like my wife thinking that it was "1994"), and it seems like all wrong roads have been taken.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
abioreilly
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by abioreilly »

Hi everybody, this is Abby, from Jeopardy. Thanks to everyone who said nice things about me, I'm glad you enjoyed watching me play. To those who found my mannerisms or style of speech annoying, well, you will have a new game to watch tomorrow and you can forget alllllllll about me. :D To those of you making Frank Zappa references, I don't really get it? I'm going to assume it's a compliment.... I was very excited to be playing and I had a very good time doing it.

Thanks especially to Glenn for being an awesome co-contestant, and good luck on Monday; also thanks a lot to opusthepenguin for making a video about me!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

abioreilly wrote:Hi everybody, this is Abby, from Jeopardy. Thanks to everyone who said nice things about me, I'm glad you enjoyed watching me play. To those who found my mannerisms or style of speech annoying, well, you will have a new game to watch tomorrow and you can forget alllllllll about me. :D To those of you making Frank Zappa references, I don't really get it? I'm going to assume it's a compliment.... I was very excited to be playing and I had a very good time doing it.

Thanks especially to Glenn for being an awesome co-contestant, and good luck on Monday; also thanks a lot to opusthepenguin for making a video about me!
Welcome Abby. The look-alike or remind-alike game is often played here.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

abioreilly wrote:Hi everybody, this is Abby, from Jeopardy. Thanks to everyone who said nice things about me, I'm glad you enjoyed watching me play. To those who found my mannerisms or style of speech annoying, well, you will have a new game to watch tomorrow and you can forget alllllllll about me. :D To those of you making Frank Zappa references, I don't really get it? I'm going to assume it's a compliment.... I was very excited to be playing and I had a very good time doing it.

I'll never forget you, Abby! Well, ok, at some point I probably will. But you were a lot of fun.

The Frank Zappa reference probably isn't a compliment per se, but I think it can come from a place of love. It's a reference to Zappa's best-selling single "Valley Girl" as "sung" by his daughter Moon Unit. Mark Barrett embedded it above. You can also click on this link to watch it. That's a parody of actual Valspeak, of course; but there are similarities to your own style of speech. Ditto for the reference to SNL's The Californians.

Now, here's the point I want to emphasize. For me at least, the charm of the comparison is that you are obviously not airheaded and vapid and clueless. You were a sharp, quick-witted contestant with a good knowledge base. Glenn definitely earned his win; but another day, another board, and you'd have been the one with the prize. You clearly belonged on that podium. So we've been taught to associate some of your mannerisms with ignorance, yet out of your mouth came streams of knowledge. I enjoyed the juxtaposition. Couple that with your obvious energy and enthusiasm and you're one of my favorite contestants so far this year.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Glenn definitely earned his win; but another day, another board, and you'd have been the one with the prize. You clearly belonged on that podium.
Both my games aired so far were tough fights — buzzer control moved around, people had subject-matter expertise, and we got some very strange categories (compared to the norm) and FJs! It's an honor to be on the stage with such smart and interesting people, and one question differently, and I'd have been off that stage quick as a flash. I'm no Roger Craig or Stephanie Jass! But it's still fun.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

glennfleishman wrote:
Johnblue wrote: One Hundred Years of Solitude - they were asking for the English title of the book. I guess they let people slide on by sometimes.
We were told in the briefing the first day that an initial article, like A, The, or An, wouldn't count against us if used incorrectly or omitted in Jeopardy and Double Jeopardy, but would in Final Jeopardy, so long as there wasn't ambiguity. "Hours" and "The Hours", for instance, could be two distinct works.
Tell that to the guy ruled incorrect on THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY for $1000 here: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3660.

I think that cien is Spanish for the number 100 which in English is "one hundred". But I don't say that with any authority or confidence.
glennfleishman
Valued Contributor

Post by glennfleishman »

omgwheelhouse wrote:
glennfleishman wrote:Tell that to the guy ruled incorrect on THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY for $1000 here: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3660.
Oh, yeah, but that's part of the ... huh. I guess that's a funny one. Because "one" isn't an article, but "a" or "an" (or "the") are all articles.
I think that cien is Spanish for the number 100 which in English is "one hundred". But I don't say that with any authority or confidence.
Yes, although here's the tricky part. Spanish has definite and indefinite articles, like many languages, but "cien" here is literally "100" not spoken aloud. That is it's "hundred"; the "One" or "A" is implied. In the translation, the specific unit measure was added to make it "One Hundred Years of Solitude." Literally, I guess that's correct, but it's not precisely the same.