Wednesday, February 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Re: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vanya »

29 can be visualized as 15+10+4, none of which are prime so 29 is non-prime.

Ipso facto, qed, habeas corpus.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Knew Nate Ruess because I like fun., and I knew Lana del Rey from seeing her name on TV Tropes, but blanked on her name. No clue on the last three. NHO Arctic Monkeys or Haim, and I HAVE heard of Avicii but could name no songs by them.
Two up on me. I've never heard of anyone or any song mentioned in that entire category.
Fishercat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fishercat »

I was admittedly rooting for Kenesha (great personality/energy), but it was solid otherwise.

Couldn't find anywhere else to really go on that FJ, so luckily "pick the obvious" continues to be a good FJ strategy in the college tourney.

First a Fitz & The Tantrums reference, and tonight a Haim pickup! Went 4/5 in music again (couldn't jumble out the right Avicii title, I might have been able to if I were at the taping and the song hadn't been out of my consciousness for a bit).

I was kind of hoping to make a Haim/"Fumbled It When It Came Down To The Wire" reference but no real opportunities tonight. Boooooooooo...

FWIW, the music isn't THAT obscure. Granted, it's a strong category for me, but the Arctic Monkeys album did give the initials IIRC, fun is exceptionally popular, Haim played that song on SNL within the past few months, Lana Del Rey has had a couple pretty big radio hits (and a prominent place in the recent Gatsby movie), and the Avicii song was huge. You could hypothetically go 5/5 with a some perusal of the recent Billboard Hot 100 playlists (which if you're going on the college tournament and it's a weakness is worth your time) and the end of year Top 100 lists. I will say, for the typical Jeopardy contestants, I suspect music (and maybe TV with kids week) is the one category where the material gets more obscure/tougher in the college/teen/kids tournaments. It's interesting.
Last edited by Fishercat on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Knew Nate Ruess because I like fun., and I knew Lana del Rey from seeing her name on TV Tropes, but blanked on her name. No clue on the last three. NHO Arctic Monkeys or Haim, and I HAVE heard of Avicii but could name no songs by them.
Two up on me. I've never heard of anyone or any song mentioned in that entire category.
In 2003 I had a category called "21st Century Rock" and it was painful to watch myself and two other college kids stand there in silence for 4 of the clues.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
chalupabatman786
Valued Contributor

Post by chalupabatman786 »

I could have sworn it was pronounced "fun-dot"...
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Vanya wrote:29 can be visualized as 15+10+4, none of which are prime so 29 is non-prime.

Thank you, Vanya. Somebody had to say it.

Rex

P.S. -- I got "997" instantly and I have no idea how. Maybe I am one of them-there "savontz".
ahirbhairav

Post by ahirbhairav »

Rex Kramer wrote:
Vanya wrote:29 can be visualized as 15+10+4, none of which are prime so 29 is non-prime.

Rex

P.S. -- I got "997" instantly and I have no idea how. Maybe I am one of them-there "savontz".
Every single person in this world (maybe not mbclev) knows you are a savant.

Great game, and congrats to that Princeton girl. Sad that Kevin isn't an automatic Semifinalist, but oh well. Wildcard hope and Cali represent.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Rex Kramer wrote:

I was going to say 997 is 900 + 27 + 70.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I kept yelling at Kenesha, "STOP GUESSING!" She would ring in with very little idea of whether she knew the answer. She'd have done much better if she'd KEPT CLAM.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:I kept yelling at Kenesha, "STOP GUESSING!" She would ring in with very little idea of whether she knew the answer. She'd have done much better if she'd KEPT CLAM.
Yeah. Me too.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

seaborgium wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

I was going to say 997 is 900 + 27 + 70.
Yes, but the reason that Mr. Goat didn't use that one was because it wouldn't allow him to make people think he knew what he was talking about.

That sounded more sensible in my head than it looks here.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

The number 3 can be visualized as 1+1+1, and none of those numbers are prime, so 3 can't be prime either.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I wonder what happened to Alex's left wrist? It was in a cast. Ouch!
Le Flaneur
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LeFlaneur wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I wonder what happened to Alex's left wrist? It was in a cast. Ouch!
It has been mentioned, but there still no solid answer (someone said it was carpal tunnel).
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

econgator wrote:
LeFlaneur wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I wonder what happened to Alex's left wrist? It was in a cast. Ouch!
It has been mentioned, but there still no solid answer (someone said it was carpal tunnel).
Perhaps he foiled another robbery.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

soxfan99 wrote:The FJs all week have been really easy. For fairness sake, I hope it continues tomorrow and [sic]Thursday.
Me too, and also because I'd like a five-for-five week. :)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:
I've had carpal tunnel, and I wore a wrist brace. Maybe that's what it was (I didn't notice it).
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

econgator wrote:
He had a minor surgical procedure, which he described as extremely painful.

Not sure what the original cause was. He'd had it done on his right arm previously.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:The FJs all week have been really easy. For fairness sake, I hope it continues tomorrow and [sic]Thursday.
Me too, and also because I'd like a five-for-five week. :)

Glad I'm not the only one noticing this. I agree, the FJs have been very easy.
Woppy T wrote:
econgator wrote:
Perhaps he foiled another robbery.
Dear Alex, is there *anything* he can't do?
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex

I got it too, I was leaning toward 989, then I recalled my 43 times tables from years ago. :D

Actually, when playing along at home. I'm going to answer a math clue feeling I'll know the answer. It was basically, 999 (no) 998 (no), 997 (better go with it). It wouldn't have been a shocker to hear the answer being 991.
Last edited by Sherm on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.