Pavlov revival

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

lillypie82
Valued Contributor

Re: Pavlov revival

Post by lillypie82 »

So, I have a somewhat-related question:

What format do you think is more helpful to study (i.e. for flashcards or "study lists")
- Pavlovs/short tidbits like "James Buchanan = bachelor president"
or
- Actual J! clues or worded like a full clue, like "Before reaching the Oval Office, this bachelor president served as minister to Russia in the 1830s"
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

lillypie82 wrote:So, I have a somewhat-related question:

What format do you think is more helpful to study (i.e. for flashcards or "study lists")
- Pavlovs/short tidbits like "James Buchanan = bachelor president"
or
- Actual J! clues or worded like a full clue, like "Before reaching the Oval Office, this bachelor president served as minister to Russia in the 1830s"
Personally, I find the flashcards more helpful for memorizing what we consider Pavlovs.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
ArthurChu
Mad Genius Who Destroyed Jeopardy!

Post by ArthurChu »

A good Jeopardy training regimen requires 50% direct memorization of specific lists of facts with flashcards and 50% reading Jeopardy clues and practicing getting a feel for the writing style and the tease-outs.

It's like how football players have to alternate between pure fitness drills and running actual plays.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ArthurChu wrote:A good Jeopardy training regimen requires 50% direct memorization of specific lists of facts with flashcards and 50% reading Jeopardy clues and practicing getting a feel for the writing style and the tease-outs.
Crap. That explains why all of those sit-ups were for naught.
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

alietr wrote:Crap. That explains why all of those sit-ups were for naught.
If only TPTB would let contestants go shirtless. Then they'd be relevant in the wardrobe thread.
lillypie82
Valued Contributor

Post by lillypie82 »

ArthurChu wrote:A good Jeopardy training regimen requires 50% direct memorization of specific lists of facts with flashcards and 50% reading Jeopardy clues and practicing getting a feel for the writing style and the tease-outs.

It's like how football players have to alternate between pure fitness drills and running actual plays.
I hadn't thought of it that way, but that sounds like perfect advice, thank you. (And nice sports analogy, Mr. "I don't know anything about sports") :mrgreen:
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

dhkendall wrote:I don't know if anyone else has seen this (I'd be very surprised, considering the source, if no one else here has), but I stumbled upon this on mental_floss, they have a group of articles called Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets, which are basically Pavlovs under another name. A must-visit for someone studying Pavlovs for the show!
I was looking at the Pavlov thread to send to a friend who has an audition coming up, and noticed that Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets is now a book, which means it's not available at the Mental Floss link for free. But it is on Amazon, and your local bookstore could probably order it: http://www.amazon.com/Mental-Floss-Cock ... PDKIKX0DER
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

periwinkle wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I don't know if anyone else has seen this (I'd be very surprised, considering the source, if no one else here has), but I stumbled upon this on mental_floss, they have a group of articles called Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets, which are basically Pavlovs under another name. A must-visit for someone studying Pavlovs for the show!
I was looking at the Pavlov thread to send to a friend who has an audition coming up, and noticed that Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets is now a book, which means it's not available at the Mental Floss link for free. But it is on Amazon, and your local bookstore could probably order it: http://www.amazon.com/Mental-Floss-Cock ... PDKIKX0DER
Mental Floss redesigned their web site last yer, and a lot of really good stuff was lost. The Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets can still be found via Archive.org.
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

early american neoclassicist & "the death of general wolfe" = benjamin west (1738-1820)
It pays to look at JBoard.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

opusthepenguin wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I guessed Sir Gawain and the Green Knight just to have something.
That's a pretty good guess, I think. Better than Canterbury Tales (which wasn't terrible). Gawain's in the ballpark for length--a little over 2500 lines. Anything Arthurian might well have some Frenchy names in it. (In Gawain's case, that would be Bertilak de Hautdesert and Morgan le Fay.) It's on the short list of Medieval poems that Jeopardy! expects you to be able to name.

What's on that short list anyway? I'd say (in chronological order)
  • Beowulf
  • La Chanson de Roland (aka The Song of Roland)
  • Nibelungenlied (aka The Song of the Nibelungs)
  • Gawain and the Green Knight
  • The Divine Comedy, including all three parts, by Dante Alighieri
    • Inferno (Hell)
    • Purgatorio (Purgatory)
    • Paradiso (Heaven)
  • Petrarch's sonnets collectively (but they'd probably refer to him as a Renaissance poet rather than Medieval. Petrarch was born 39 years before Chaucer, but the Renaissance came to Italy before it hit England.)
  • A few things by Geoffrey Chaucer
    • Mostly The Canterbury Tales, including the names of the following two:
      • The Knight's Tale
      • The Wife of Bath's Tale ("Wife" by the way, is a poor translation of "wyf" which in this context just means "woman".)
    • Parlement of Foules (aka Parliament of Fowls or Parliament of Birds.)
    • Troilus and Criseyde
  • Piers Plowman by William Langland
  • Orlando Furioso by Ariosto (first name Ludovico, but you don't need to know that.) It might help to know that Orlando is Italian for Roland. This work is from the early 1500s, so we're really pushing the limit of what Jeopardy! might call Medieval.
What did I miss? You probably don't need to know Tasso's "Jerusalem Delivered" (which is definitely more Renaissance than Medieval anyway) or Boiardo's "Orlando Inammorato". The former never comes up. The latter only comes up when they want the sequel written by Ariosto. As long as you know what Ariosto wrote (when spotted the name "Orlando"), you're good.

Separate from that, here are the Medieval works you should know that are NOT poems (but you might think they are)
  • The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio (collection of prose tales. Provided major inspiration to Chaucer for The Canterbury Tales, which are mostly written in verse. That's a good thing to keep in mind for clues that might refer to either one.)
  • Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory
Opus, very fine Pavlov short list, tyvvm! All Boardies should have this etched in RAM!
I'm bumping this from 01-28-2015 game discussion on Medieval Epic Poetry FJ (Qu'est-ce-que c'est La Chanson de Roland?) to the Pavlov thread. Thanks Opus!! Pure GOLD!
Further reading:

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... -de-Roland

Roland the Paladin of Charlemagne at the Battle of Ronceveaux Pass, blowing Oliphant, grasping Durendal to the last; Veillantif lies at his feet, pierced with arrows.
(Features on Saturnian moon Iapetus are named for this Pass, Roland and other characters from La Chanson de Roland! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roncevaux_Terra)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Song_of_Roland

Eight phases of The Song of Roland in one picture: In upper right we see the punishment of Ganelon, being drawn and quartered; midfield Roland the Paladin of Charlemagne lies dead with his Oliphant horn and Durendal by his side (his noble steed Veillantif ("Vigilant") is pictured in top center background, with Roland mounted; in lower right see the Archbishop of Rheims, Turpin at vespers; left of center Saracens attack while Roland's command holds them back, Roland depicted arms akimbo, hors de combat, while Charles Magnus lower left corner, retreats with the national treasure to safety. Roland appears astride Veillantif in the rearguard, 'Vigilant' defensor fortis; engaged with the Saracens (the attacking force may well have been Catalan mercenaries, rather than Moors, as popularized in legend); and as a dead hero; legend reports he burst his skull blowing so fiercely on Oliphant. Fabulous tales of yore!

The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If these are Pavlovs, his dogs must have starved to death.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goatman wrote:(Qu'est-ce-que c'est La Chanson de Roland?)
Get rid of the "c'est". Qu'est-ce-que c'est is "What is it".
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

econgator wrote:
I stand corrected again! :oops: Thanks for brushing up my high school "Francaise Terrible" wiktionary explification: 'what is it that it is' LOL:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/qu%27est-ce_que#French

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/qu'est-ce_que_c'est
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

econgator wrote:
or, say "qu'est ce que c'est que la chanson de roland"'. that means the same thing and sounds more natural in conversational québecois.

Québecois French: where the rules are made up and the words don't matter.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

grindcore wrote:Québecois French: where the rules are made up and the words don't matter.
Or, to put it another way,

Quebec: Where neither official language (of the country) is spoken.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
grindcore wrote:Québecois French: where the rules are made up and the words don't matter.
Or, to put it another way,

Quebec: Where neither official language (of the country) is spoken.

Brian
I think they speak Chrétienadian.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

periwinkle wrote:I was looking at the Pavlov thread to send to a friend who has an audition coming up, and noticed that Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets is now a book, which means it's not available at the Mental Floss link for free. But it is on Amazon, and your local bookstore could probably order it: http://www.amazon.com/Mental-Floss-Cock ... PDKIKX0DER
Does your public library have free, lendable e-books? My public library has Cocktail Party Cheat Sheets, as well as several other Mental Floss titles.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

Someone should totally do a musicals one. Totally.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

mennoknight wrote:Someone should totally do a musicals one. Totally.
Someone help this man out! He doesn't have much time!
Sprinkles are for winners.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mennoknight wrote:Someone should totally do a musicals one. Totally.
Start here: http://aceqb.com/wp-content/uploads/201 ... sicals.pdf (PDF file, ACE Quizbowl Camp study guide on Musicals.)

It only goes up to G, unfortunately, but it's something. Assignment for the board: Which musicals alphabetically after "Gypsy" are worth adding. Looks like
Spoiler
Rock of Ages and Jersey Boys
make the cut [spoilers for recent Teachers Tourney eps], and I'd say Into the Woods for sure (for modern ones). What else? Music Man came up fairly recently as an FJ!, so that for sure. Has Fikkle Fame done a list? And what did the Quiz Bowl list miss that would be J!-worthy?

All their study guides are pretty good. Only a few are over-specialized for what you need for J!. I'm especially a fan of Composers. (also pdf)