Your Screenname: What inspired it?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Your Screenname: What inspired it?

Post by bpmod »

By popular demand (at least two or three people think it's a good idea, anyway), this thread should be a nice complement to Introduce Yourself Here.

Tell us what inspired your screenname and/or what it means.

Mine is simply my initials, at least the capital letters in my full (fuller than legal) name. If I were to render it as such, it would be B. P. M. O'D.

I use this name on most of the boards I frequent. I have also been known to use donairb, JimBob, JimBobJones and hTrag428. Since I am only explaining my screenname at JBoard, you'll have to guess about the others.

Edited to add: Also pronunciations might be a good idea. I pronounce mine like five distict letters, rather than as 'B.P. Mod' or the like.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Your Screenname: What inspired it?

Post by econgator »

donairb is obvious, but not sure about the rest.

My screen name? I got my BSBA (Economics) from UF.
Secretariat
Contributor

Post by Secretariat »

The horse on the Late Late Show.
esrever
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by esrever »

Mine is "reverse" spelled in reverse. I've long been interested in the reverse spellings of words.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

My being banned from the old SOny board a few years ago inspired the leg end never dies name,
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Title of an obscure country song that I just thought sounded screen-name-y. I used it when I first registered for Wikipedia 9 years ago… holy crap, have I really been on Wikipedia that long?!… and it stuck. Sometimes in other places, I use "Twentington" (a made-up number from a "Numberwang" sketch on That Mitchell and Webb Look) or "Tehshigelisok" (a nonsense word I saw in a Super Mario World hack). In fact, I used the latter here early on because someone thought that poaching my username would a be a good way to lock me out.

My avatar is an otter-like Pokémon called Dewott. I'm a bit of a Pokémon fan, and otters are my favorite animal.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

My brother used to live a few doors down, so I got to see him all the time. I had a second floor apartment, and when they'd come over, my nephew (who is middle-named for me (Joseph)) would call up to my window for me, but the best he could do is an amalgam of "Uncle Paul!" which came out "Paucle!"
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I've used the name "skullturf" on a few different sites. By this point, I've been using it long enough that it sort of has a life of its own, but its original inspiration is as follows.

For a long time I was a devoted reader of comic strips, and I've also long been fascinated with colorful but outdated early to mid-20th century slang.

There's an old comic strip called "They'll Do It Every Time", about the frustrations and inconsistencies of everyday life, which first appeared in 1929. From 1963 to 2008, the strip was drawn by Al Scaduto. The language that Scaduto used in the strip was always interesting to me. Scaduto was a New Yorker born in 1928, so a lot of his slang had a very specific mid-20th century feel. It occasionally sounded corny or outdated to younger ears, but it was always very colorful, bouncy, expressive, evocative language.

One slang term Scaduto used more than once that really tickled me was the expression "skull turf", which simply means "hair". Like the turf that grows on your skull.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

My screen name is also based on my initials. If I were to capitalize and punctuate it, I would write I'm M.A.F.

A psychologist would probably say that i use all lowercase letter because I lack self esteem. I think it's just that it's easier to type.

Strangely, I internally pronounce it with a short i. im-maf rather than eye-maf.
Teems with quiet fun.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

At one point, I was a moderator on AOL's homeschooling forum. A few of us were asked to help with the fantasy books forum, so I used to mod in the Harry Potter and Tolkien areas.

When Fellowship of the Ring was released, someone started a thread about "Lord of the Rings screen names I'd never use." ElendilPickle was one of the choices, and I thought, "Hey, I like that!" I've been using it in a variety of places ever since.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

Screenname: My name and the month/day (or month/year?) of my first episode.

Elsewhere I'm usually "srah" or "quesrah" (as in que sera, sera). A childhood friend named Grace and I were lamenting that there was no nickname for our names, so we started calling each other Srah and Gra, which I forgot about for years, but it came in handy again when my college roommate was also named Sarah and we needed a way to differentiate ourselves. Most of my college friends know me as Srah instead of Sarah and at least one person thought that was my actual name (I also accidentally convinced her for months that I was an international student from Finland).

Avatar: Roger Clemens on the Simpsons episode where he is hypnotized into thinking he is a chicken.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

That way --->

Largo's boat from Thunderball. Been using it since the late 90s.
(Added bonus Bond tie-in: an Aston Martin Volante cameoed in The Living Daylights. (A Vantage was used for the actual driving scenes later on.))
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Aardvark
Contributor

Post by Aardvark »

I chose the first word that appears in many dictionaries, so that it will be alphabetically first in responses to polls here on Jboard. This makes it easier to find my own username if I want to review my responses to polls at a later date.

Actually, there are about ten Jboard users who are alphabetically ahead of me; most of their usernames begin with characters other than "A". But apparently these users don't participate in the polls.

I don't think I'd want to meet an aardvark!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Once upon a time, someone gave me a pointer to an online anagram server, which I thought was great fun. It was even more fun when I discovered that my name has a huge and diverse number of anagrams.

I know that a lot of people on this board share my interest in wordplay, so I decided to use my favorite anagram of my name for my screenname. My main dilemma was whether to put a space between the words or not.

This is the only board on which I use this screenname. I participate in relatively few online fora, but I have two other screennames, of which one is an old nickname and the other references an instrument I play.
Lumosityfan
2014 Teen Tournament Champion

Post by Lumosityfan »

As a kid, I played on the Lumosity.com site a lot and still incline to do so.
Jeopardizing questions since 2004!
2014 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament Champion
ModernDayWarrior
Contributor

Post by ModernDayWarrior »

Lyrics from the Rush song "Tom Sawyer." This is but one of many progressive rock-inspired screennames I've been known to use.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Mine comes from two semi-related places. I'm a sports fan (especially high-school basketball) and also listened to the Jim Rome sportstalk radio show for many years before it became stale.

Back in the days when that radio show was awesome (and probably still now, but Rome almost never takes calls anymore), if a caller's "take" was well thought-out, opinionated, and/or funny and presented in enterating fashion,
the call would be saved or "racked" for possible replay as the Huge Call Of The Day". Sometimes a caller might urge Rome to "rack" his call by declaring, "RACK ME!" at the end. That's one part of this epic story...

The32comes from my all-time fave basketball player, future Hall-Of-Famer Jason Kidd, who wore #32 on his jersey thoughout his high-school career and at times during his illustrious NBA career. I attended some 70 of his high-school games; easily the greatest player I ever had the chance to follow in over 40 years of intensely following HS hoops, probably 3500-4000 games attended in person.

Put 'em together and ya got... Rackme32.

I've used this name and variations thereof in many forums over the years.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

skullturf wrote:There's an old comic strip called "They'll Do It Every Time", about the frustrations and inconsistencies of everyday life, which first appeared in 1929. From 1963 to 2008, the strip was drawn by Al Scaduto.
Wow, I thought I was the only person who read that growing up.
Aardvark wrote:I don't think I'd want to meet an aardvark!
Especially not if he looks like this.
Lilac
Contributor

Post by Lilac »

Lilac is my actual first name. I've never met anyone else with this name. My parents named me after the street they lived on in Crystal Lake when I was born: Lilac Drive. I love the smell of lilac flowers!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

My user name is based on my initials (S.A.M.) along with a shout-out to my county of residence and the small grove behind by house.

My avatars are snippets from orange crate labels.
OCSam