Tuesday, February 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6782, 2014-02-25

CONTESTANTS
Myfanwy Davies, a retired china shop manager and volunteer from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Padraic Connelly, an actor from Chicago, Illinois
Arthur Chu, a compliance analyst and voiceover artist from Broadview Heights, Ohio (whose 5-day cash winnings total $123,600)

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STARTS WITH A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT (4/5)
WOLF POTPOURRI (5/5)
U.N. COUNTRY ABBREVIATIONS (5/5)
LADIES WHO LUNGE (2/5)
OUT IN THE BACKYARD (4/5)
HISTORIC CARS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (From the Petersen Automotive Museum - vehicles that have quite a story to tell.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 17 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Myfanwy: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Padraic: 2 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Arthur: $5,600
Myfanwy: $3,800
Padraic: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: The first player we introduced on the program today is Myfanwy Davies. She is of Welsh descent and has some supporters in our audience. She is also a member of a choir. How surprising for a Welsh lady. [Myfanwy laughs] Tell us about the choir.

Myfanwy: Well, I actually have sung with three Welsh choirs in Canada. And one is the Ottawa Welsh Choral Society, which my parents helped to found in 1968. I've also sung with the North American Welsh Choir, which has members from all over Canada, the United States, and Wales, and a lady's choir from the only Welsh church in Canada, which is in Toronto.

Alex: And for each of those choirs, you manage to provide beautiful sounds. There's a tradition in Wales, of course.

Myfanwy: It's in my blood.

Alex: Padraic Connelly, an actor from Chicago, who spent a year on the world's largest cruise ship, which was...

Padraic: The Oasis of the Seas.

Alex: And you were performing there.

Padraic: I was in "Hairspray," the musical, doing 12 costume changes in 90 minutes for every single show.

Alex: And I understand there are a lot of photos of you in an unusual costume.

Padraic: One of the things we had to do on the ship was interact with guests and let them take pictures, and one of my costumes was me dressed as a bunch of grapes and vines.

Alex: [ chuckles ] Okay.

Alex: Arthur Chu, is it true your wife commissioned a song especially for you?

Arthur: Yes, she met a songwriter online who was willing to take 200 bucks to write a theme song as though you had your own sitcom. So, apparently, I'm the star
of an imaginary sitcom called "Arthur Knows Everything," so...

Alex: "Arthur Knows Everything." Well, so far on "Jeopardy!," you have demonstrated a great deal of knowledge.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Arthur had $6,000, Padraic was in the red with -$800, and Myfanwy was at $3,800. Arthur made it a True Daily Double, wagering $6,000.

HISTORIC CARS $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us another car at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.) Inspired by the '56 Packard, the 1962 Chaika was a favorite of Nikita Khrushchev, who owned one himself and gave one as a present to this first cosmonaut

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OUT IN THE BACKYARD $1000: A small outbuilding for storing fuel; as a verb it means to practice music

STARTS WITH A MUSICAL INSTRUMENT $1000: The national monument named for this cactus is seen here

LADIES WHO LUNGE $600: Seen here with both diving for the ball, this golden pair were pretty much unbeatable

LADIES WHO LUNGE $400: Goalie Briana Scurry lunged to her left to make a diving save when the U.S. women's team won this title in Pasadena in 1999

LADIES WHO LUNGE $200: Here she is, lunging down the course in 2010, on the way to becoming the first American woman to win gold in an Olympic downhill
(Myfanwy: Who is Picabo Street?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Arthur: $15,000
Myfanwy: $3,800
Padraic: $200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
2013 BESTSELLERS (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
OBSERVATORIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIE MUSICALS BY SONGS (4/5)
NET ADVERTISING (5/5)
LIFE OF RILEY (3/5)
BACK IN THE 6-"T"s (5/5) (Each correct response will contain 6 letters and begin with a "T".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Arthur: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Myfanwy: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Padraic: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Arthur snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Arthur had $15,800, Padraic had $3,000, and Myfanwy was at $6,600. Arthur wagered $5,000.

OBSERVATORIES $2000: Since 1999 a green laser has been beamed into the sky from this observatory to mark the prime meridian

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Arthur who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Arthur had $22,800, Padraic had $3,000, and Myfanwy was at $6,600. Arthur wagered $5,000.

2013 BESTSELLERS $2000: The nonfiction book about these title men tells how art historians & museum curators saved art from Nazi looting
(Arthur: Who are -- the resistance?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIE MUSICALS BY SONGS $1200: 1984 & 2011:
"Almost Paradise" &
"Let's Hear It For The Boy"

2013 BESTSELLERS $800: Full of greed, ego & backstabbing, this is the town covered in Mark Leibovich's "This Town"

LIFE OF RILEY $2000: This "poet of the common people" wrote "When the frost is on the punkin"

2013 BESTSELLERS $1200: Take a large swallow, as you may do with some of Mary Roach's digestive tract descriptions in her book of this title

LIFE OF RILEY $1200: The thrill isn't gone for this blues great born with the first name Riley in Itta Bena, Mississippi in 1925

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Arthur: $29,400 (lock game)
Myfanwy: $9,800
Padraic: $3,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Arthur: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $9,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Myfanwy: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,999 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Padraic: You've no hope of catching up... unless Myfanwy does something stupid. So risk $3,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"The Everything Store" is a book about this company that in 2012 was home to 1% of all North American Internet traffic

FINAL SCORES
Padraic: $3,400 + $1,119 = $4,519 (What is Amazon.com) (3rd place: $1,000)
Myfanwy: $9,800 + $9,000 = $18,800 (What is Amazon.com?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Arthur: $29,400 + $5,000 = $34,400 (What is Amazon) (6-day champion: $158,000)
[Padraic's response has what appears to be a smile drawn under the word Amazon.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Arthur: $26,200, 29 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Myfanwy: $9,800, 12 R, 1 W
Padraic: $3,400, 8 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $39,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Arthur: 30/61 = .492
Myfanwy: 13/58 = .224
Padraic: 9/58 = .155
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
U.N. COUNTRY ABBREVIATIONS $800: TGO
(Padraic: What is Tonga?)

HISTORIC CARS $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows us a smooth car at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Las Angeles.) Containing no sharp edges, the aesthetic and technical achievements of the 1947 Cisitalia 202 GT were enough for this progressive New York City museum to consider it a work of art and put it on display.

HISTORIC CARS $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us car at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.) On a fateful day in 1968, this presidential candidate took this Rolls Royce Solver Cloud to address campaigners at Los Angeles's Ambassador Hotel after his primary win.

HISTORIC CARS $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us a car at Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.) This specially made armored limousine was made for Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and used as he hammered out issues at this Crimean conference in 1945

HISTORIC CARS $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows us a car's engine at the Petersen Automotive Museum in Los Angeles.) Featuring a single cylinder engine dubbed Little Hercules, the first ever one of these cars, named for the founder of the city of Detroit, rolled onto streets in 1902

BACK IN THE 6-"T"s $800: Surface seen here

OBSERVATORIES $1600: Kitt Peak National Observatory, on land of the Tohono O'odham tribe in this state, operates 22 optical telescopes
(Padraic: What is Nevada?)

OBSERVATORIES $400: A staircase casts the shadow of the world's largest sundial at this country's Jaipur Observatory

NET ADVERTISING $400: In computer marketing, "above the fold" refers to the part of a web page seen without doing this
(Arthur: What is clicking?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Yuri Gagarin
woodshed
an organ pipe cactus
Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh Jennings
the FIFA Women's World Cup
Lindsay Vonn
Greenwich
The Monuents Men
Footloose
Washington, D.C.
James Whitcomb Riley
Gulp
B.B. King
Amazon or Amazon.com
Togo
(the) M(useum) O(f) M(odern) A(rt)
Robert Kennedy
Yalta
a Cadillac
a tarmac
Arizona
India
scrolling (down)
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Business
"The Everything Store" is a book about this company that in 2012 was home to 1% of all North American internet traffic.

Spoiler
What is Amazon?

Arthur Chu: $29,400+$5,000=$34,400...now a 6-day champion with $158,000
Myfanwy Davies: $9,800+$9,000=$18,800
Padraic Connelly: $3,400+$1,119=$4,519
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

Arthur Chu is the most memorable Jeopardy! player I've seen in some time, possibly since Colby Burnett. I love the way Arthur plays the game, always pressing his advantages and taking the game to his opponents, instead of passively letting the game come to him. I hope the winning streak continues, as watching the show every day has been especially exciting recently. Good luck in your quest for a seventh win tomorrow, Arthur!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Subarus. He's going to eat these two alive.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Woodshed can be a verb to practice music?! What?!? Did anyone get that?!?

Who else thought TGO for Togo was nearly Stupid Answers level? I thought Tajikistan at $600 was far tougher.

Cadillac was my only get in Cars. No clue in any of the Lunging Ladies.

"Um, chickens have… thighs? No. Legs? That doesn't begin with an instrument either. What do they want?" I've never heard it called a "drumstick" on a chicken, only a turkey.

===

Lach Trash on Footloose because I remembered a lot of country singers in the remake's soundtrack.

I had no idea what 2013 Best Sellers for $400 was even asking for. Counterpart to what? A character in 50 Shades? Went 0/5 there without a glimmer of recognition anywhere.

4/5 in 6 T's. I WAGged "tremor" instead of "trauma" at $1600.

Also 4/5 in Net Ad, missing only "unique".

I thought Riley for $1200 was asking for a blues singer named Riley something.

0/5 in Observatory. What was supposed to lead to India at $400?

====

Website that sells everything? Amazon. Instaget.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I'm calling BS on "woodshed" as a synonym for practicing music. Curious who here has actually heard of that.

What a cupcake FJ.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote: 0/5 in Observatory. What was supposed to lead to India at $400?
Jaipur is in India, dude.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Surprised the women's world cup was a TS.

Instaget FJ. I'm going to set the over/under for the weekly poll at 95% for this clue.
Last edited by jpr281 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Arthur was spectacular in this game -- even better than usual. Congrats, Arthur, on yet another win!

Picked up Lach trash on "FIFA Women's World Cup", "Lindsey Vonn", "Footloose" and "B. B. King"

Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: 0/5 in Observatory. What was supposed to lead to India at $400?
Jaipur is in India, dude.
First I'd ever heard of it.
Leander

Post by Leander »

0/5 in Observatory. What was supposed to lead to India at $400?
Jaipur in the name.

Never heard of "woodshed " for music practice.

I would expect a BMS for FloJo.

Hopefully Arthur knows that just about everywhere, Greenwich is pronounced as "Gren-itch"' particularly in England.
poisontongue

Post by poisontongue »

Halfway through the game, talk about woodsheds... eek.
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

The dominant/submissive clue was a lot more PG-13 than Jeopardy usually gets...

Instaget FJ, also fits into the "2013 Bestsellers" category.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Second place should have wagered to guarantee herself second place but overwagered in FJ!. She also got a clue about Hairspray the musical after the guy in the middle said he toured in Hairspray on a cruise ship. Is $15K a record for the highest score at the end of the J! round since November 2001.
ChemTeacher
J! Teachers Tournament 2012-B

Post by ChemTeacher »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What do they want?" I've never heard it called a "drumstick" on a chicken, only a turkey.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Smart bet by Arthur on the first DD. I don't know much about cars, but this was a history category and had nothing to do with cars. Arthur, are you much of a car guy and would you still have bet big if you had hit that clue first before you knew it really wasn't about cars?

Pretty much an instaget for me, though I did briefly consider e-bay, but decided e-bay is more of a garage sale than a store. I also briefly considered Wal-Mart, since the clue didn't specifically say it was an internet based business.

Congrats on becoming a superchamp, Arthur. This was your most dominating performance yet. I was hoping you could get to $40,000, but the Welsh lady was just a little too close for you to risk it. Since she risked her second place lock for no reason, it wasn't a chance worth taking.
lillypie82
Valued Contributor

Post by lillypie82 »

I got woodshed!! (I was a music major in college 2000-2004 and definitely heard it used, i.e. "You need to buckle down and woodshed this piece before your performance.") the one professor I remember specifically using it was older, so it may not be very common in the current generation...
Last edited by lillypie82 on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

Not sure how Footloose made it in the movie musicals category, maybe that's why it was a TS?
ACW

Post by ACW »

Props to Padraic for having the smile in Amazon's logo.