Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 »

Presidents
He is the only 19th century President to serve 2 complete terms with the same Vice President.

Spoiler
Who is James Monroe? Babu said U.S. Grant; Rachel said Cleveland; Eddie said Andrew Jackson.

Eddie Timanus: $14,400-$6,700=$7,700
Rachel Schwartz: $10,500-$2,600=$7,900...advances to quarterfinals of Decades tournament
Babu Srinivasan: $2,000-$2,000=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Not done watching, but I'd say that the small "ping" for Eddie's benefit was also a great benefit for us at home - I found a few times I was ringing in really early (relatively speaking) that I wouldn't have known otherwise. (The only reason I do play while clicking an oversized novelty pen is to practice my ringing in skills for the show, so knowing when I'm early or late is the last piece of the puzzle.)

Oh, and I'd forgotten just how great Babu is, from his humour to his accent. I went in rooting for Eddie (I'd been an Eddie fan from his original run) but Babu is making this tough.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Dominating game for Eddie. Too bad he ran into a really tough FJ with a friendly sounding category. If he had hit one of the second round DDs, he might have gotten a crush and would have won the game.

I got FJ right, but it was a lucky guess. I eliminated Jefferson (Burr) and felt Cleveland wouldn't have had the same guy both times. I was pretty sure Grant's first VP had died and knew Jackson didn't have Van Buren both times. So it was a coin flip for the JMs and it landed on the right side. Still held my breath when Alex said James....

Babu's cat story sealed his fate.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

dhkendall wrote: Oh, and I'd forgotten just how great Babu is, from his humour to his accent.
Having spent two days with everyone, you're definitely right about the humour. Both he and Eddie were just a riot.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
chalupabatman786
Valued Contributor

Post by chalupabatman786 »

Unlucky for Eddie, though I was very surprised that FJ was a TS.

Is there anything helping Eddie with homophones in clues, especially when there are puns?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Weird how even in this super tough game, I get two Lach Trashes (Yelp and Dirigo). Dot Com was a mixed bag. NHO ZIllow, overlooked up Netflix as too easy at $800, and couldn't decide between TMZ or Perez Hilton at $1000.

Stephen King for $400 was a massive negbait, since Maine is so often Pavlovian for King.

I think the Go category might've been too tough even for them.

====

Was it just me, or was the DJ! board easier? Seemed there were a lot fewer stand-and-stares.

Lach Trash: "Liar".

Did pretty well in 90's with 3/5. Clammed on Meat Loaf, and my only outright miss was Bolton.

Impressed myself by getting Selenium and Tantalum, the latter barely.

There are Green Mountains, plural?

Another impressive get for me was Farragut, since I had seen that tidbit not too long ago on a host-your-own game on the Wheel forums.

====

No, I'm not even guessing.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

That was brutal. I would last about 3 seconds in this tournament. I guessed Jefferson for the FJ, was I alone?

Wagering gurus help me out, did Eddie wager foolishly?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:I was pretty sure Grant's first VP had died and knew Jackson didn't have Van Buren both times.
2nd, VP actually. Colfax just left the office.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

What's fascinating about this game is that it was annoying me that Rachael, through all the daily doubles, went conservative. But yet, I think it's her conservative nature on them that won her the game, because had Rachael been in first, she probably would have had to cover Eddie and Eddie would have had to go more conservative.

To Bobby's last point, why wouldn't you at least guess? You know at least one president who served in the 19th century, right? Even if that's wrong, better than saying nothing, I feel. For what it's worth, my wrong guess was Hayes.
esrever

Post by esrever »

Picked up Lach trash on "Yelp.com", "West Virginia" and "Kilauea"

Didn't get FJ.
Last edited by esrever on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

zakharov wrote:That was brutal. I would last about 3 seconds in this tournament. I guessed Jefferson for the FJ, was I alone?

Wagering gurus help me out, did Eddie wager foolishly?
The cover Rachael wager was 6601, so probably only a little bit more than he had to. I'm impressed Rachael knew to wager as little as she did, I know for me I'm not very good at figuring out when to wager conservative and not just do the simple "Cover 1st while not letting 3rd take over".
Golf

Post by Golf »

Always great to watch Eddie play, some of the clues he rang in first on had the important words at the very end.

After Rachel's first DD wager, I looked up the available games in the archive. She wagered like a scared little kid then with zero strategic sense and nothing has changed.

This is one of those games where the far superior player didn't win, it happens.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Close to being a fourth podium win based on the J round alone...

Have to admit, I was rooting for Eddie. Not to knock the others.

I do think the questions are tougher, but I also think the old champs looked painfully out of practice.

On FJ, I backed into Monroe. I knew it wasn't Madison, Jefferson, Jackson, or Grant, and I was pretty sure it wasn't Cleveland. I recalled Tompkins' name but no one else. Maybe an 80% confidence there.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

UniquePerspective wrote:To Bobby's last point, why wouldn't you at least guess?
This is a rhetorical question, right?
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

zakharov wrote:That was brutal. I would last about 3 seconds in this tournament. I guessed Jefferson for the FJ, was I alone?
You were not alone. I also had Jefferson. I figured it was probably one of the early 19th century two-termers: Jefferson, Madison, or Monroe. I basically just randomly guessed from among those three. It wasn't until after the music ended that I thought: Wait, I think Aaron Burr might have been TJ's VP, not John Adams's, and he might have lasted only one term.

In retrospect, the expression "The Era of Good Feelings" is associated with James Monroe, and the 1820 election, where he was re-elected, is regarded as not being seriously competitive, so I guess it's not a huge surprise that Monroe had the same VP for his second term as his first. But I couldn't quite put that all together in 30 seconds.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Purely superficial observation, but how has Rachael managed not to age in 20 years? :shock:
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

billiej wrote:Purely superficial observation, but how has Rachael managed not to age in 20 years? :shock:
Disagree - she's hotter today
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

billiej wrote:Purely superficial observation, but how has Rachael managed not to age in 20 years? :shock:
I was surprised when she mentioned that she will be in 60s when done with her Ph.D.

She looks better than her shows on crackle.

Had Jefferson...ouch given burr.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!