Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, March 3, 2014 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Stephen King for $400 was a massive negbait, since Maine is so often Pavlovian for King.
Unless you've seen or read The Shining or Misery, of course.

Final wasn't instant, but pretty darn near. Basically came down between Cleveland and Monroe and it just felt more probable that Monroe, being consecutive, would keep the same VP.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

For some reason, I had it in my head that the 19th century started at the 10th president, so I went forward from there and said Grant, unsure. I think if I had remembered the 19th century started earlier I would have had a shot of picking the right James.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A good guess on FJ for me. Ruled out Washington for not being 19th century, Jefferson for having Burr, Madison for having Gerry, and Cleveland for being nonconsecutive and therefore less likely to have the same one each time. (I can't remember whether I thought of Jackson, but either way I knew he had two VPs.) After that I couldn't think of anyone else but Monroe. Had I been leading in this game, the Grant reveal would have scared me. [edit: I suppose that wasn't so much a guess as a process of elimination where I lucked into forgetting the only other possible response I didn't eliminate. But I think my thought process between Monroe and Grant would have had significantly better odds than a coin flip.]

Was the selenium clue $1,600? If so, a clam there by Eddie probably saves him the game.
Last edited by seaborgium on Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

This is one of those games where the far superior player didn't win, it happens.
I don't think Eddie's game play was far superior to that of Rachel. She held her own, even with some less than optimum guesses.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I really enjoyed this game. Eddie certainly didn't disappoint and I thought that Rachael held her own with superior buzzer speed (Babu seemed to be unable ring in between those two buzzsaws). I picked up a reasonable amount of Lach trash and got West Virginia on the rebound (tough negbait there). On FJ, I also backed into Monroe by a process of elimination. I wasn't sure about Madison but had a sneaking suspicion that he was in the era of runner-up VPs. And, yeah, I did think Rachael looked better today than in her first appearance. Would that we all could age so well.
Last edited by Woof on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Okay, who helped set up Eddie with the gold tie line. Nice one whoever made it happen.
I'd make it a True Daily Double (and then some) it was Babu. He was standing right next to Eddie and has the same sense of humour. (Never put the two class clowns together or you get stuff like that.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Anybody surprised at Rachael's conservative wagering has for gotten how she won her TOC.

Oh, and Jefferson.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

UniquePerspective wrote:
zakharov wrote:That was brutal. I would last about 3 seconds in this tournament. I guessed Jefferson for the FJ, was I alone?

Wagering gurus help me out, did Eddie wager foolishly?
The cover Rachael wager was 6601, so probably only a little bit more than he had to. I'm impressed Rachael knew to wager as little as she did, I know for me I'm not very good at figuring out when to wager conservative and not just do the simple "Cover 1st while not letting 3rd take over".
Eddie overwagered by not enough to matter. Rachael bet what she needed to win if Eddie made the expected wager and missed FJ!
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

esrever wrote:Picked up Lach trash on "Yelp.com", "West Virginia" and "Kilauea"
I got those plus Shrapnel (wrote a question on him once), cargo and The Tommyknockers, but left a lot on the board and had a whopping five negs in J! alone. Fun as they are, these Decades games are hell on my Coryats.

Her DD wagers are a little Venusian, but Rachael's FJ wager was crafty. Eddie played well and had me pulling for him well before the end, despite the Bolton get. Kind of sad to see him go, but there's gonna be a lot of that this week.

For 19th-century two-termers, I thought of Grant first, then Cleveland, then the two JMs. Wrote down Monroe/Madison/Grant and crossed out the last two. It was something of a lucky guess, but I'll take it.
billiej wrote:Purely superficial observation, but how has Rachael managed not to age in 20 years?
Similarly superficial retort: You're one to talk. Mm-mm, smart women of a certain age...
In and out of the pool four times
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Bamaman wrote: I was down to Madison and Monroe, but chose Monroe because it seemed like the Era of Good Feelings guy wouldn't dump his VP. Kind of a silly thought, but it paid off.
That's the way I approached it as well. If it's meant to be deducible, then maybe the Good Feelings extended to the Prez-Veep relationship.
I'm smart and I want respect.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

those weren't [cryptic crossword] clues, but i guess they were cryptic [crossword clues]. in any event, i enjoyed them. i wish i could say as much for the wordplay category in the first round—after lumbago it was a whole lot of "huh?".
JeopRDFan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JeopRDFan »

Lefty wrote:
ChemTeacher wrote: In the film Miracle on 34th Street, there is an infamous scene in which Kris Kringle tells Fred Gailey about how familiar he is with the standard psychological examination. He says to Fred, "Who was vice president under John Quincy Adams? (pause) Daniel D. Tompkins. I'll bet your Mr. Sawyer doesn't know that."

I first learned about this error when I was memorizing vice presidents and realized that the film got it wrong.
If the Scarecrow can botch the Pythagorean theorem, I'm not surprised by anything.
Ha, ha -- forgot about that debacle. Sounded pretty impressive when I watched as a kid, though.
Went with Grant on FJ just to have something.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Rachael has an interesting Jeopardy career. The game that stands out the most is her semifinal match from her TOC....she had a $9200 -$8600 lead heading into final. The person in second wagered $500 and got it right. Rachael got it wrong...but wagered nothing to win by $100. (The $500 wager actually made sense since player 3 had $4000 entering FJ). So that one little twist of fate is what lead her to being the first female winner and likely a permanent entry in any "super tournament" Jeopardy ever puts together.

That said, she played well tonight...there is something to be said for betting conservatively from second place on DD on a game board that was proving to be difficult . I find that to be smart, actually.

Doesn't that make 6 consecutive TOC winners in this tournament?
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

UniquePerspective wrote: I'm impressed Rachael knew to wager as little as she did
Her canny FJ wager was not at all surprising considering this 1994 ToC semifinal.

What puzzled me is, her chitchat was about how she is doing a PhD because she loves science so much, and then she makes a tiny wager on a Periodic Table DD.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

UniquePerspective wrote:What's fascinating about this game is that...Rachael, through all the daily doubles, went conservative. But yet, I think it's her conservative nature on them that won her the game....
UniquePerspective wrote:I'm impressed Rachael knew to wager as little as she did.
This was no surprise to me at all. In our TOC in 1994, Rachael won her semifinal with a $0 bet in FJ that had the rest of us in the audience gasping in amazement:

Brian Moore: $4,000 - $4,000 = $0
Rachael: $9,200 - $0 = $9,200
Kurt Bray: $8,600 + $500 = $9,100

Kurt was caught smack in the middle between Rachael in first place and Brian’s doubled score from third. So he had no choice but to bet exactly $600, risking a tie on both the up and down sides. Rachael read the situation perfectly and bet $0. It’s true that Kurt blundered and underbet, throwing away his chance to possibly win the game on a tiebreaker, but that in no way detracts from Rachael’s perfect analysis and sheer guts to stand pat in that situation. As to this...
Golf wrote:This is one of those games where the far superior player didn't win, it happens.
Don’t sell Rachael short: she is a very good player with a solid knowledge base. It’s true her wagering is on the Venusian side, but she is sneaky good. She could well go further in this tournament than you expect.

—OSC
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

Austin Powers wrote:Close to being a fourth podium win based on the J round alone...
I actually did win from the fourth podium with a sole get in FJ. I knows my vice presidents. (Too bad I haven’t always known my first ladies as well; see avatar at right....)

—OSC
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

MarkBarrett wrote:Pelee on Hawaii sounded funny until I thought about Pele the deity being more reasonable. My guess was Diamondhead in trying to make it one word since it's been way too many years since I've seen The Diamond Head Game hosted by Bob Eubanks. I had eliminated Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea for two words and forgot all about Kilauea. D'oh.
The only currently active volcanoes are on the island of Hawaii. There's one on Maui that last erupted 500 years ago. When you hear of an eruption on the news, the usually say it's Kilauea, but it's probably along the cracks between Kilauea and the ocean. The National Park Service runs a hotel on the lip of Kilauea that was first opened in 1846. Eruptions on Hawaii don't come on suddenly, but ooze out, so there's time to evacuate.

The difficulty of a board is so individual. I thought the 1980s boards were harder than tonight. I had a devil of a time with the board where Arthur threatened Roger Craig. My Coryat tonight was in line with regular games.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jpahk wrote:i wish i could say as much for the wordplay category in the first round—after lumbago it was a whole lot of "huh?".
Now I feel better.
OldSchoolChamp wrote: (Too bad I haven’t always known my first ladies as well; see avatar at right....)
Lucretia MacEvil
UniquePerspective

Post by UniquePerspective »

MDaunt wrote:Anybody surprised at Rachael's conservative wagering has for gotten how she won her TOC.
Or in my case, I was 4 and didn't even know what Jeopardy was at the time.
ej!
Valued Contributor

Post by ej! »

jpahk wrote:...after lumbago it was a whole lot of "huh?".
For me, that whole J! round was a whole lot of huh. Only 8 correct guesses. My worst ever.
But it sure was fun to see Eddie play again.